Tips for increasing running pace

Options
I'm pretty new to running. I started with a couch to 5K app back in Feb-13. By Apr-13, I ran my first 5K and have since did 4. My pace started around 13:50 and slowly I've gotten it down to about a 11:55. I tried to use a 10K app for training but it increased the mileage way too fast for me. While I was able to do the 4 miler that first week, it wanted me to do 5 miles by the 2nd week! Not gonna happen as I still gasped for air trying to do 4 miles.
That being said, I ditched that app for now and am just concentrating on trying to pick up my pace. I recently was able to lower to 11.20 but that was only for 2 miles. When I do 3 miles, it goes back up to 11:55. I hate running on the treadmill, especially when the weather is so nice. Is there a way to run outside and push the pace? I use runkeeper and it lets me know in 0.5 mile increments what my pace is, but by that time, I've already ruined my pace if I've been running to slow. Also, since I've been doing this for 6 months now, I feel like I should be way faster than 11.20. My goal is just to be able to run a 10-10:30 mile and keep that pace for a 5K. Any suggestions how to do so for outside running? Lastly, I should mention that I do walk and cycle outside as well. For example, I ran on Tues for 2 miles, biked on Wed for 10.0 miles and then walked last night for 4.20 miles.
Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Increasing your training volume, especially early on, will improve your pace.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new to running. I started with a couch to 5K app back in Feb-13. By Apr-13, I ran my first 5K and have since did 4. My pace started around 13:50 and slowly I've gotten it down to about a 11:55. I tried to use a 10K app for training but it increased the mileage way too fast for me. While I was able to do the 4 miler that first week, it wanted me to do 5 miles by the 2nd week! Not gonna happen as I still gasped for air trying to do 4 miles.
    That being said, I ditched that app for now and am just concentrating on trying to pick up my pace. I recently was able to lower to 11.20 but that was only for 2 miles. When I do 3 miles, it goes back up to 11:55. I hate running on the treadmill, especially when the weather is so nice. Is there a way to run outside and push the pace? I use runkeeper and it lets me know in 0.5 mile increments what my pace is, but by that time, I've already ruined my pace if I've been running to slow. Also, since I've been doing this for 6 months now, I feel like I should be way faster than 11.20. My goal is just to be able to run a 10-10:30 mile and keep that pace for a 5K. Any suggestions how to do so for outside running? Lastly, I should mention that I do walk and cycle outside as well. For example, I ran on Tues for 2 miles, biked on Wed for 10.0 miles and then walked last night for 4.20 miles.

As long as you are gasping for air forget about pace, focus on base. (LFMF.....we've all been there)

Focus on running slower but longer, as your aerobic base improves you can then start worrying about speed. One of my coaches once said (and I'm paraphrasing) not to worry about running a fast 5K until you could run a slow 10K.

The more you run and the longer you run the easier it will be to improve your pace.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the best way for newer runners to increase pace is to increase the volume. More runs, slowly increasing both your normal and your longer runs. Runs should typically be done at a conversational pace, where you can speak in complete sentences. You will find your pace picks up doing this.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Sprints/ladder training is crucial in increasing speed.

Take at least one day a week, don't focus on distance, just sprinting followed by short rests.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the beter you get at running.

Get out there - run distance, run sprints, run hills, just run!
  • SaraC1977
    Options
    Thanks everyone! So I should go back to the 10K app and just dont' worry about running 12+ minute paces?

I don't always gasp for air btw. I'm pretty good up until 3 miles. It's when I started to try to do 4 miles. I did it only twice and then the training for the following week had me doing a 5 mile run. I was thinking "If I can barely do 4 miles, how am I going to run 5 miles in a few days?" That's when I gave up and just went back to running 2-3.5 mile runs.
  • SaraC1977
    Options

Take at least one day a week, don't focus on distance, just sprinting followed by short rests.

I've done sprints. What is "ladder training?
    Thanks
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    You don't need sprints, intervals, ladder training, or anything of the sorts at this point. Run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast. When you get tired of that, run more, mostly slow, sometimes fast. It may not sound fancy but it doesn't need to be. I used to run 11-12 minute miles and now run 8-9 minute miles simply by building a base and being consistent in my running.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The more you run, the beter you get at running.

Get out there - run distance, run sprints, run hills, just run!

this!

I am a "slow" runner - my pace can go anywhere from 9:50 to 12:30, just depends on the circumstances. no matter how slow you go you're still beating everyone on the couch.

I've found when I stick to shorter distances (5k) I get faster but when I run for distance (I am training for my 2nd half marathon) I tend to slow my pace down so I can go farther.

drink water, keep running, focus on breathing. find a friend to run with! i find when I run with a friend outside, it motivates me to keep going and go faster! you can cheer each other on and race :)
  • missalicet
    missalicet Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Increase volume is what I have been told too... in the same situation just want to improve/maintain my 5k times, maybe run longer distances.

Anyway...
    Thought you'd like to know about the Nike+ app, its what I use to track my running, it constantly tells you your pace on screen and will read it out to you too if you press the right area on the screen, as well as telling you how fast you are averaging each kilometre. I use it on my iPhone and you can login to the website to see your runs etc on the computer too.

Hope that helps!

Good luck with it all!
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sorry to seen stupid; but by volume do you mean the quantity/ times your run per week, or running for more time each time you do run?
    I've started with jogging to kick start my exercise as i've done very little previously. Currently I walk/ jog a 5k weekly, in about 40 mins. In a years time I want to jog a full 5k in under 31 mins (10 mins of my this years attempt) is that reasonable?
    Thanks
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

For a newer runner, this is simply wrong.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Just keep running. And then run more. Your pace will come down. You need to build endurance first, and then worry about your pace later. When you can comfortably do 3 miles, swap out one weekly run for a 30 minute interval workout. For now though, all you need to do is keep running.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry to seen stupid; but by volume do you mean the quantity/ times your run per week, or running for more time each time you do run?
    I've started with jogging to kick start my exercise as i've done very little previously. Currently I walk/ jog a 5k weekly, in about 40 mins. In a years time I want to jog a full 5k in under 31 mins (10 mins of my this years attempt) is that reasonable?
    Thanks

That's a reasonable goal. Just (slowly) start extending the running intervals by like a block, or 30 seconds, and slowly shortening the walking intervals. If you chip away at it, you'll eventually be running the whole thing.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    The "Couch to 5k" and "Learn to run 10k" programs for new runners use variations of ladders/intervals.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    How many times per week do you run?

If say, you train three times per week, try this:

1) one day run at a comfortable pace but run for quarter of a mile longer than your previous longest run
    2) next run day, run at three miles but at a faster pace than normal
    3) third run day, fartlek = run half mile at slow pace, half mile at pushed pace and a lot faster than you would normally run, half mile at jog and continue for four miles.

Steps 2 and 3 will break the stride pattern you have fallen into, step 1 will increase your stamina.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Options
    I have a simple suggestion that will likely improve your pace more than all these other things combined (well, except to practice - you need to do that!): focus on making sure you run with correct form. It's AMAZING how much faster you run without thinking about it if you make sure your arms aren't crossing in front of your body, that you're swinging your arms when you run, etc. (Don't run with dinosaur arms!)
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    Thanks

Both. If you are already at 3 days a week for running, add a fourth day. After your are super comfortable with 4 days a week, add a fifth. You can also designate one day a week as a "long" run. Every week try to make your long run slightly longer than the last week, and then every few weeks take a break from the long run.

A general rule some people follow is to increase their weekly mileage by no more than 10% per week and then have a long run of no more than 40%-50% of their total weekly mileage.
  • smartseagull
    Options
    A good playlist can also make all the difference. When you have music with a nice beat, the run can be a lot less painful.

Someone recently directed me to jog.fm. It gives you song suggestions depending on how fast you run/want to run. Seriously, though. My normal pace is around 10:00, but a good song can get me down to 8:00.

Happy running!
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    In the beginning leave your watch at home. You need to build distance and enjoy running.