25 Worst Diet Tips Ever

Options

Replies

• chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Load up on protein: Sorry, I consider that one pretty valuable, whatever they say. Yes, you need carbs, fats etc too, but loading up on protein isn't a bad idea at all.

I also disagree with their take on artificial sweeteners, personally.

Good article, though. Makes you think.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Load up on protein: Sorry, I consider that one pretty valuable, whatever they say. Yes, you need carbs, fats etc too, but loading up on protein isn't a bad idea at all.

I also disagree with their take on artificial sweeteners, personally.

Good article, though. Makes you think.

Ditto, high protein diets are satisfying and help with hunger while on a deficit
  • profosho
    profosho Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    X3 agree on protein, I've lost 22 pounds in 20 days on a PSMF diet (Protein Sparing Modified Fast)
  • AJ_G
    Options
    X3 agree on protein, I've lost 22 pounds in 20 days on a PSMF diet (Protein Sparing Modified Fast)

That's not necessarily a good thing, that is extremely rapid weight loss...
  • Blessedbythebest1
    Blessedbythebest1 Posts: 971 Member
    Options

Whoa! This is NOT good --- loss of muscle mass is never a good thing...slow and steady wins the race..
  • profosho
    profosho Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It is specifically for morbid obese (a safer alternative to gastric bypass) and bodybuilders. Basically you eat enough protein so you do not lose muscle mass(daily multivitamins and omega 3 fish oils) and that is it, not for everyone. Feel free to check out The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook-A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting by Lyle McDonald. I have a link to a .pdf if anyone is interested, worth the read.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is not important for most individuals and for weight loss a calorie is most definitely a calorie.
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Protein gets me through the day!
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Eating in small, frequent amounts is a great way to curb hunger, control portion sizes, and make better nutritional choices, says Mike Clancy, CDN, a personal trainer at David Barton's Gym in New York City. "Smarter snacks like nuts, fruits, and yogurt will keep your energy levels high throughout the day." (Need proof? Our 400 Calorie Fix plan—which involves three or four meals plus snacks—can help you lose 11 pounds in just two weeks!)

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/25-worst-diet-tips-ever#ixzz2bVneqzai

Stopped reading there. This makes me rage every time I see it.
  • ArnDog1941
    Options
    This is a mixed website of advice.

Yes if you don't want to gain "weight" don't load up on protein too much. Remember muscle weights on average 1.6 times the same mass of fat. That doesn't mean tho by loading up on protein you wont get slimier!

I am currently working out 6 times a week and cutting back. I have lost weight but now started to bulk up more and supplement my day with protein shakes. When i started i actually put on 3 lbs for the first week and my body adjusted.

It really depends on what you are trying to achieve.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Eating in small, frequent amounts is a great way to curb hunger, control portion sizes, and make better nutritional choices, says Mike Clancy, CDN, a personal trainer at David Barton's Gym in New York City. "Smarter snacks like nuts, fruits, and yogurt will keep your energy levels high throughout the day." (Need proof? Our 400 Calorie Fix plan—which involves three or four meals plus snacks—can help you lose 11 pounds in just two weeks!)

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/25-worst-diet-tips-ever#ixzz2bVneqzai

Eat every 2 hours to rev your metabolism.
    Why that's BS: Going four or five (or even eight!) hours between normally-sized meals will not make your metabolism slow down, says Monica Reinagel, MS, a nutritionist based in Baltimore. "Eating more frequently may help stave off hunger, which can help you fight temptation. But if you want to do this, you have to be careful to keep your meals and snacks really small," she says. "Otherwise, eating every 2 hours can simply lead to taking in too many calories over the course of the day."

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/25-worst-diet-tips-ever#ixzz2bVpsvA6B

If it's any consolation?
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    ... Need proof? Our 400 Calorie Fix plan—which involves three or four meals plus snacks—can help you lose 11 pounds in just two weeks!
    Stopped reading there.

Same here.

Isn't Prevention always pushing some new diet or fitness or "do this, don't do that" plan that will help you effortlessly lose x lbs in y weeks?

I'd take this article (or any Prevention article) with a grain of salt.
  • AJ_G
    Options
    It is specifically for morbid obese (a safer alternative to gastric bypass) and bodybuilders. Basically you eat enough protein so you do not lose muscle mass(daily multivitamins and omega 3 fish oils) and that is it, not for everyone. Feel free to check out The Rapid Fat Loss Handbook-A Scientific Approach to Crash Dieting by Lyle McDonald. I have a link to a .pdf if anyone is interested, worth the read.

Any protein consumed above a certain amount will no longer be used for muscle synthesis, so consuming above this amount just supplies you with energy. Also, dietary fat and stored fat do not fulfill the same purpose, so this diet sounds pretty sketchy to me. If you are losing faster than 1% body weight per week, then a good amount of that weight loss is from muscle, that is a fact. I understand wanting to lose weight fast if you are morbidly obese, and good for you for making a change, but you may be going just slightly faster than you should. Anyway, good luck with the weight loss.
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    All in all, that's pretty much the worst list of the 25 worst diet tips ever.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Eat every 2 hours to rev your metabolism.
    Why that's BS: Going four or five (or even eight!) hours between normally-sized meals will not make your metabolism slow down, says Monica Reinagel, MS, a nutritionist based in Baltimore. "Eating more frequently may help stave off hunger, which can help you fight temptation. But if you want to do this, you have to be careful to keep your meals and snacks really small," she says. "Otherwise, eating every 2 hours can simply lead to taking in too many calories over the course of the day."

Read more: http://www.prevention.com/weight-loss/weight-loss-tips/25-worst-diet-tips-ever#ixzz2bVpsvA6B

If it's any consolation?

I am glad that they added this, I guess their recommendation for 6 small meals a day is more to help people with psychological hunger rather than actual need to eat. I ended up flicking through the rest, there was some OK stuff in there (fat doesn't make you fat, for example) but there was still some other annoying things like don't skip meals & eat breakfast.