Uncontrollable hunger from running

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'll just say that the mentioned uncontrollable post-run hunger has made me gain about 13 lbs while actively training and running 70km a week.
    Then again, I was terrible with portions and calorie estimates and thought that if you run as much as I do you can binge on anything you wish. . :noway:

For a post.- run meal I suggest a smoothie, oatmeal with berries on top, almonds, glass of chocolate milk (it's actually a great recovery drink) etc.

And you wonder why you have gained 13 pounds? Just looking at that post run meal has me SMH.

I've run for about 25 years, and I get being incredibly hungry after longer efforts. For the most part, we've earned it but you do need to be careful about over doing it.

I'm pretty sure the poster meant to pick from that list of post run snacks, not eat them all.

OP, it may be a matter of what you're eating rather than how much. Protein, fiber and healthy fats can help to keep you full longer. I actually find a combination of the three is best. Like a chicken sandwich with some avocado - yum! If you're going by the MFP defaults, as active as you are, it would be idea to exceed that protein goal. The standard recommendation is 0.8 grams per 1 pound of body weight. Or if you know your BF%, 1 gram per pound of LBM (lean body mass).

Also, as someone else said, your ravenous feeling could be slated by an increase in water. Sometimes the body mixes the signals so when you feel hunger, you may just be a little dehydrated.

Best of luck!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I've always exercised and was at my highest weight exercising 5 hours a week. I had to change a lot of things. Weight lifting made me hungry, but not as much the cardio. I think protein bars and shakes don't help AT ALL. Eating a lot of veggies helps. Eating a lot of fruit helps. Eating less processed carbs helps. No more crackers, pasta, rice, chips for me on a daily basis. They just make me hungrier. If you are hungrier, you need to eat high bulk, high nutrition, lower calorie options whenever you can fit them in. I also recommend eating more on exercise days and eating dinner as soon as possible. I eat dinner between 5 and 5:30. A snack won't do it. I precook meals and vegetables to help.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for weight loss. I have a much harder time losing body fat when my mileage is up than when I'm barely running at all. When you're running you have to fuel the running. The body's acceptable calorie deficit seems to be smaller. Eat the calories you burn from running and create your deficit from your NEAT.

So my advice is eat all your exercise calories when you're running. At least BMR + exercise calories daily.
    I have experienced the opposite. Running has helped me lose, helped me out of plateaus, and is great cardio for a healthy heart. I think about an extra 75 - 100 calories per mile extra would help though for sure.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Running is not good for weight loss. I have a much harder time losing body fat when my mileage is up than when I'm barely running at all. When you're running you have to fuel the running. The body's acceptable calorie deficit seems to be smaller. Eat the calories you burn from running and create your deficit from your NEAT.

So my advice is eat all your exercise calories when you're running. At least BMR + exercise calories daily.

Running has been great for my weight loss everyone is different, and everyones body reacts differently. Do some experimenting and decide for yourself.
  • Anony1023
    Anony1023 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Maybe some sort of pre or post work out shake or snack that will help replenish what your body needs and fast.
  • lcvaughn520
    lcvaughn520 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have been having the same problem recently!! In my experience, the extreme hunger lasts for a couple of days, but eventually will subside a bit on its own once your body gets used to the new activity level. Additionally, eating more healthy fats always seems to help me - try to eat things like peanut butter, olive oil, avocados, black beans, etc. It seems to work for me.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that drinking water does nothing to satisfy hunger. It could be a placebo effect. Liquids leave your stomach very fast..
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    It has been proven that drinking water does nothing to satisfy hunger. It could be a placebo effect. Liquids leave your stomach very fast..

I am enjoying that placebo effect long enough to wait and or cook a meal rather than "graze"... And some of us mistake thirst for hunger ...
  • Cazzyxo
    Cazzyxo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Im also kind of opposite. Running supresses my appetite. I try not to eat before a run, sometimes if i get up late or im slow to get out i end up feeling starving. After a 30min run those hunger pangs are gone!
  • MrsPixelbark
    MrsPixelbark Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Im also kind of opposite. Running supresses my appetite. I try not to eat before a run, sometimes if i get up late or im slow to get out i end up feeling starving. After a 30min run those hunger pangs are gone!

I'm exactly the same: I've just come back from an 18 mile run and I couldn't dream of eating anything (I just struggled to get through half a graze box), which has left my calorie count stupidly low for the day.

Running for me switches off any snack-attacks I get, and I really have to pre-plan long-run days as if I had my way I'd eat nothing at all for the rest of the day. But, it's not all bad, it's quite handy on days where we have a more calorie dense tea: a good 10k prior to that, and I tend to feel a heck of a lot more satisfied from a smaller amount of food.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I'm exactly the same: I've just come back from an 18 mile run and I couldn't dream of eating anything (I just struggled to get through half a graze box), which has left my calorie count stupidly low for the day.

Running for me switches off any snack-attacks I get, and I really have to pre-plan long-run days as if I had my way I'd eat nothing at all for the rest of the day. But, it's not all bad, it's quite handy on days where we have a more calorie dense tea: a good 10k prior to that, and I tend to feel a heck of a lot more satisfied from a smaller amount of food.

I'm just like you. When the mileage gets high I struggle to eat enough. I do my long training runs early Saturday mornings and a lot of those days I'm still in the red for calories at 8pm. I have to force feed myself or eat peanut butter by the spoonful. Which isn't so bad.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    As you can tell from the response here this is very common amongst runners. The best thing to do is to track all your food you are eating and figure out how many calories you can eat back and maintain. Fresh fruits and vegetables are good snacks for when you are hungry because they fill you up without adding tons of calories. You also need to watch your nutritional intake, running that much you are going to need to get a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
  • nikamar
    nikamar Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the poster meant to pick from that list of post run snacks, not eat them all.

Yes, thank you. I thought it was obvious, but I'll remember for the next time that some people require "or" between each listing. :tongue:
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I'm just like you. When the mileage gets high I struggle to eat enough. I do my long training runs early Saturday mornings and a lot of those days I'm still in the red for calories at 8pm. I have to force feed myself or eat peanut butter by the spoonful. Which isn't so bad.

Same exact issue here. I find that when I'm putting in a nice amount of miles I need to start doing tricks like peanut butter on a spoon just to make calories. I eat a ton but it's not matching what I'm using running so calorie dense foods come in handy.

You'll need to match your calorie intake with your energy expenditure no matter what because days you don't run you don't need quite as much. One other approach is to just estimate your need and average it out across all days of the week. That lets you eat more on rest days too and perhaps it won't feel like you're force feeding yourself.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I find eating a banana after run makes me feel full, also porridge, whole wheat bagel or yogurt. I've had to use self talk, telling myself running is not a licence to eat more. If I lose 1000 cals and then eat 2000 then what's the point? It makes you want to make good choices. I also wait after run, go for a swim etc just to teach my body it's not about stuffing myself after.
  • peanut7butter
    Options
    Your diary is not open so its hard to tell exactly. My guess would be you are eating somewhere around 1200 calories and by adding in cardio (which burns calories) you have pushed your deficit even further. As a result your hunger is increasing.

No, I eat about 1800 to 2000 a day
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    One of the reasons studies have found that it's diet, not exercise, that makes us lose weight is exactly what you're talking about. We eat a lot when we exercise because we're hungry.

I assume you're eating back your running calories.

You might try eating a bit before you run - not immediately before, but before - just so you have some reserves. I've found after I lost most of my pudge that I have fewer reserves and need to keep my blood sugar up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of.......

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(it'll take a few minutes but runners will get it)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I have started running most days for up to an hour, and now find that I need to eat more calories than before. Well, I am also even hungrier now, and find myself over eating for the past couple days! It's all healthy stuff, I just find that I get so ravenous. Also, I think it might be in my mind sometimes, because I see that I have more calories and go a little crazy with my new freedom. Any tips?

You are burning more calories than you are consuming and no, you will not go into starvation mode.

Just ensure you eat good nutritious food.

Unfortunately, if you are trying to lose weight (ie not maintaining), even if you do tons of running, you still cannot just eat and eat and eat, you would still need to be in a deficit, this is how weightloss works.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    This thread made me think of.......

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/running

(it'll take a few minutes but runners will get it)

:laugh: I just read that, it is excellent!