Diet soda, does it really make a difference?

Options

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All soda is the same. They have BAD carbs and sugars and chems to make you CRAVE another Bad carb product. Thats just the SICK truth. (DRINK any type of SODA, you will CRAVE more SODA) diet, sugar free or whatever, its all the same.

This wasn't serious, was it? Do I need my sarcasm detector calibrated?
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    It is fine in moderate amounts. Anything in excess can be bad so just dont over do it.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Okay so I've been drinking diet coke for a while. I ind that it keeps me from binging on sugary stuff such as cakes and candies since it satisfies my cravings for sweets. My question is, is drinking diet soda really that bad? if so, what are the negatives effects?
    You'll read and hear all sorts of "bad" reasons, but unfortunately actual peer reviewed clinical studies trump opinions and anecdotes.
    Having drank it for more than 25 years (diet Pepsi), I personally haven't experienced any of the "side effects" that many a "natural" site or Mercola has spoken of.
    Just don't drink a case a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    of course picking something full of additives and chemicals over water would make a difference. Just try to give it up no matter what. Also, soda is very acid so drinking that every day could make serious damage to your stomach. If you crave for something sweet to drink have a fresh homemade juice, like orange juice or pineapple juice that are very low fat.
    Please. The acid in your stomach (hydrochloric acid) is by far much more acidic than any soda. So where's the damage?It's misinformation like this that causes people to spout BS.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I don't think artificial sweeteners are 100% safe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion there. For me the keyword is artificial meaning it is fake, chemical, unnatural and with recent new additions to the sugar free fight, unnecessary. It seems to be squeezed into so much with little options to avoid it like instant drink packets, and simple gum in the grocery line. More or less I try to limit my intake. I was never a huge soda drinker, but liked one once and a while. I found I really like seltzer water. My go-to brand natural no sugar sweetener is Sweet-Leaf(specifically) Liquid Stevia. After trying a few from Sugar In The Raw( filled with malodextrin for a filler) to Stevita(which didn't agree with me and had a bitter after-taste), Sweet Leaf Stevia seemed to be the best quality I could find.

Raspberry Lemonade:
    4oz water(or depending on size of your cup, my go to cup is huge)
    1 bag Raspberry herbal tea
    1-2 tbsp lemon juice
    1 can seltzer water
    Sweet-Leaf Liquid Stevia to taste

Steep raspberry tea in small amount of hot water for 2-3 minutes. Add ice to chill. In large glass(add more ice if you want) pour chilled raspberry tea, lemon juice, seltzer and 2-3 dropper-fulls of Sweetleaf Stevia mix, voila. Yummy. No sugar, no artificial anything. Aluminum cans are another story, hey I'm working on it but bottled seltzer goes flat too fast left in the fridge.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    I cut way back on diet soda, but still drink some each day but only after I have gotten my water in 12-16 glasses a day.
    I do think everyone is different though. Good luck to you.
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Well, don't quote me on this, but this is what my mama told me. Drinking diet soda, coke zero, or basically any sugar substitute throws off how your body responds to real sugar. When drinking a diet coke, your body is ready to process sugar and the calories along with it. But then it doesn't get any. After a while, your body gets used to that, and so when you do ingest real sugar, your body isn't able to process it as well. Kinda makes sense to me me.

Um no..... just no.......

^^ Um double no...nope
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    drink it like water
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Believe the mantra "nothing is bad for you" at your own risk. Or "I've been doing it for x amount of years and I'm okay". Getting away with ingesting things that aren't good for you for a long duration is not a compelling reason to encourage others to do it.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I don't think artificial sweeteners are 100% safe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion there. For me the keyword is artificial meaning it is fake, chemical, unnatural and with recent new additions to the sugar free fight, unnecessary.

Yep, you can have your own opinion. No argument there. Me, I question the logic of being suspicious of something just because it is artificial when some of the most toxic substances known to man are 100% natural. Seems like the actual documented toxicity (or lack thereof) of the substance ought to be the important point, doesn't it?

And as far as unnecessary, yes, that's true as long as you like the taste of the alternatives better. Personally, I don't.
  • tanya203
    tanya203 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me personally, I don't think artificial sweeteners are 100% safe. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion there. For me the keyword is artificial meaning it is fake, chemical, unnatural and with recent new additions to the sugar free fight, unnecessary.

Yep, you can have your own opinion. No argument there. Me, I question the logic of being suspicious of something just because it is artificial when some of the most toxic substances known to man are 100% natural. Seems like the actual documented toxicity (or lack thereof) of the substance ought to be the important point, doesn't it?

And as far as unnecessary, yes, that's true as long as you like the taste of the alternatives better. Personally, I don't.

Have you tried Sweet-leaf Liquid Sweetener? It's not as common on the market.

Often times when people get snarky about the fact some of us don't want to pump artificial chemicals in our bodies, and use the "well some of the most toxic substances known to man are 100% natural" yes, often after a lot of processing with a few exceptions there. Certain illegal substances for instance don't simply grow dangerous, they are processed to the point of lethality.

I don't understand what's so wrong, why people get so bent out of shape over those who are just trying to be healthier and kick the chemicals out of their diet. It's not a matter of "being suspicious" of aspartame. It's a matter of it's an unnatural chemical and regardless of how safe any study claims it is I would much prefer to do my best to limit my intake as much as possible until better alternatives reach the market.
  • LeanAmbitions
    Options
    From a health standpoint...
    - All soda is highly acidic and will damage your tooth enamel
    - Sodas weaken bones (I think it has something to do with the carbonation, but don't quote me on it)

From a diet standpoint, I only know what I have read and what it did to me. I have read artificial sweetners actually increase cravings because your body wants sugar but you're not giving it the real thing so you just want more. For me, I noticed diet soda made me more hungry and I actually was addicted to it. I could drink two 2-liter bottles a day no problem and it wasn't the caffeine I was addicted to because nothing else with caffeine took care of the craving. But I still craved sweet things too. Also, no matter how you look at it, you're ingesting a chemical, so it can't be very good. I managed to switch to just water but it wasn't easy and it took me years to do it successfully. But that's just what it did to me. It depends on how far you are taking your lifestyle change.
  • terridyment
    terridyment Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I believe everything in moderation. Enjoy your soda and maybe make it a treat on your cheat day!!!
  • im_jeremy5
    im_jeremy5 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well, don't quote me on this, but this is what my mama told me. Drinking diet soda, coke zero, or basically any sugar substitute throws off how your body responds to real sugar. When drinking a diet coke, your body is ready to process sugar and the calories along with it. But then it doesn't get any. After a while, your body gets used to that, and so when you do ingest real sugar, your body isn't able to process it as well. Kinda makes sense to me me.

Um no..... just no.......

Hey... he specifically said not to quote him..
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Mama isn't always right.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    No! Makes no difference. Yea sure in a way of stuff they probably take Out of the drink but they have to replace it with another chemical that of course will later cause Health problems.

All soda is the same. They have BAD carbs and sugars and chems to make you CRAVE another Bad carb product. Thats just the SICK truth. (DRINK any type of SODA, you will CRAVE more SODA) diet, sugar free or whatever, its all the same.

What you need to do is get on juices instead like Gatorade or Poweraid , IF you need that taste, But I HIGHLY recommend sticking to water Water WAter. If you drink a gallon of water everyday , you NEVER have to worry about gaining "water wait" due to yuor body already consuming enough water!

friendly tips!:glasses:
    Link a site showing health problems caused by artificial sweetners. Make sure it's peer reviewed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    That question will certainly open a can of worms and all the fear mongering you may want to read so let me add my 2 cents... I do not buy into the fear mongering, the amount of aspartame that you would have to consume before it would be harmful is tremendous (for me at 250 lbs. I would have to consume over 20+ cans a day for an extended period of time). That being said I drink 2-3 Diet Pepsi a day along with my 100+ oz. of water and have lost a few pounds in the process.... I don't plan on quitting anytime soon but like I said it comes down to what you believe about it.... Best of Luck

I don't mean to disagree with you, but it's not fear-mongering - it's being aware. I really despise the term "fear-mongering" that pops up all the time on this site. :grumble:

Our bodies we're really made to intake and process man-made chemicals, so putting in your body doesn't really do it any good - and if you think otherwise I think you are foolish. It seems like drinking it or not drinking it doesn't really make a difference weight wise, but pop in general isn't really that great for you....
    Problem is that the "chemicals" in diet soda aren't man made. Phenylalaine is in breast milk and meat. It's an amino acid. As well as Aspartic acid.
    This is why "fear mongering" term is used. When claims are made without substance to actually back it, that's what it is.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Just my opinion but it seems that there are two issues being bandied about here. One is Diet Coke bad for you and two are artificial sweeteners bad for you.
    On the first question, yes diet cokes are not good for you but they may take a loooooooog time to have an effect. All carbonated drinks have been shown to leach calcium from your body so you may develop more of a tendency to have osteoporosis. Than there is the artificial additives and the psychological factors mentioned in previous posts.
    Question two, yes there are clear indications that some artificial sweeteners are bad and the jury is still out on others. As one posters Mamma said they do have an affect on how you body handles sugar. Your brain gets a signal that you are eating sweet (sugar) and releases insulin to covert what it doesn't need to fat. Excess insulin in your body is not good in and of itself but it also tends to lead to a blunting of future response to sweet taste later.

Now both of those indicate Diet soda is bad for you but if it helps you avoid worse things like real sweets and food so you can improve your weight or health in other ways than as the lesser of two evils, DO IT.

All of life is a trade off of things, seek balance.

JMO mileage may vary.
    Again more misinformation. Artificial sweetners of today have no affect on the pancreas islet and release of insulin.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Graphixxz
    Graphixxz Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Lewis Black: And for all we study about health, we know nothing! Is milk good or bad?

[pause, the audience is silent]

Lewis Black: I rest my case!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Get rid of it, and never look back!

Diet soda is doing these 7 awful things to your body
    TODAY Health
    Oct. 19, 2012 at 8:31 AM ET

nbcnews.com /
    Pop quiz! What's the single biggest source of calories for Americans? White bread? Big Macs? Actually, try soda. The average American drinks about two cans of the stuff every day. "But I drink diet soda," you say. "With no calories or sugar, it's the perfect alternative for weight watchers...Right?"

Not so fast. Before you pop the top off the caramel-colored bubbly, know this: guzzling diet soda comes with its own set of side effects that may harm your health--from kickstarting kidney problems to adding inches to your waistline.

Unfortunately, diet soda is more in vogue than ever. Kids consume the stuff at more than double the rate of last decade, according to research in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Among adults, consumption has grown almost 25 percent.

But knowing these 7 side effects of drinking diet soda may help you kick the can for good.

Kidney Problems

Here's something you didn't know about your diet soda: It might be bad for your kidneys. In an 11-year-long Harvard Medical School study of more than 3,000 women, researchers found that diet cola is associated with a two-fold increased risk for kidney decline. Kidney function started declining when women drank more than two sodas a day. Even more interesting: Since kidney decline was not associated with sugar-sweetened sodas, researchers suspect that the diet sweeteners are responsible.
    Association isn't causation. Kidney decline can happen when less water in taken it.
    Messed-Up Metabolism

According to a 2008 University of Minnesota study of almost 10,000 adults, even just one diet soda a day is linked to a 34% higher risk of metabolic syndrome, the group of symptoms including belly fat and high cholesterol that puts you at risk for heart disease. Whether that link is attributed to an ingredient in diet soda or the drinkers' eating habits is unclear. But is that one can really worth it?
    And of course linking it with no evidence that it actually happens is conclusive enough.
    Obesity

You read that right: Diet soda doesn't help you lose weight after all. A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet sodas a person drank, the greater their risk of becoming overweight. Downing just two or more cans a day increased waistlines by 500%. Why? Artificial sweeteners can disrupt the body's natural ability to regulate calorie intake based on the sweetness of foods, suggested an animal study from Purdue University. That means people who consume diet foods might be more likely to overeat, because your body is being tricked into thinking it's eating sugar, and you crave more.
    Overeating has more to do with weight gain and NOT drinking a 0 calorie drink. Another correlation.
    A Terrible Hangover

Your first bad decision was ordering that whiskey-and-diet-cola -- and you may make the next one sooner than you thought. Cocktails made with diet soda get you drunker, faster, according to a study out of the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia. That's because sugar-free mixers allow liquor to enter your bloodstream much quicker than those with sugar, leaving you with a bigger buzz.
    Lol, this is funny because alcohol is a ................gasp sugar.
    Cell Damage

Diet sodas contain something many regular sodas don't: mold inhibitors. They go by the names sodium benzoate or potassium benzoate, and they're in nearly all diet sodas. But many regular sodas, such as Coke and Pepsi, don't contain this preservative.

That's bad news for diet drinkers. "These chemicals have the ability to cause severe damage to DNA in the mitochondria to the point that they totally inactivate it - they knock it out altogether," Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology and biotechnology at the University of Sheffield in the U.K., told a British newspaper in 1999. The preservative has also been linked to hives, asthma, and other allergic conditions, according to the Center for Science in the Public Interest.

Since then, some companies have phased out sodium benzoate. Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi have replaced it with another preservative, potassium benzoate. Both sodium and potassium benzoate were classified by the Food Commission in the UK as mild irritants to the skin, eyes, and mucous membranes.
    Let's remember dosage matters. What was the actual dosage?
    Rotting Teeth

With a pH of 3.2, diet soda is very acidic. (As a point of reference, the pH of battery acid is 1. Water is 7.) The acid is what readily dissolves enamel, and just because a soda is diet doesn't make it acid-light. Adults who drink three or more sodas a day have worse dental health, says a University of Michigan analysis of dental checkup data. Soda drinkers had far greater decay, more missing teeth, and more fillings.
    What about those with good dental hygiene?
    Reproductive Issues

Sometimes, the vessel for your beverage is just as harmful. Diet or not, soft drink cans are coated with the endocrine disruptor bisphenol A (BPA), which has been linked to everything from heart disease to obesity to reproductive problems. That's a lot of risktaking for one can of pop.
    BPA's are in a lot of things. Most bottled foods or drinks in plastic can have the same issue.

Subjective and not objective reporting makes a difference. That's why the media influences so many.

IDEA Fitness member