Contemplating a breast reduction...need advice!

Options
2»

Replies

• ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you wait until you have reached your weight loss goal before you decide. You never know where those pounds are going to come from. I have only lost 30 pounds, but had to buy new bras. The old ones were not touching me in the band or the cup. I don't mind what I have already lost, but I hope I get to keep the rest. Good luck to you.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    No. Just no.

Edit: Buy good sports bras or double up if you need to. I am a 38G and wear a regular bra with a sports bra over the top. I run a few times a week and don't have an problems.

Is it really worth the risk of putting yourself under general anesthesia and having large scars for the rest of your life for what appearances?
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My friend got a breast reduction when she was 18. She thad been losing weight and her breasts were hurting her back.She was a DD, went to a 38 C, BUT, they actually "grew" back. So it didnt really work for her AND she has awful, awful scars. My moms friend is also having surgery, but not until she loses weight ( shes had several knee surgeries and actually ended up getting bariatric surgery. She got it in october of last year and has lost 150+ lbs, but her boobies are still the same. I belive she is a III. ( triple i) It kills her back. I know if I were her, I would opt for the reduction. But as for my friend that had it done, I dont really think it was so severe that she "needed" it, her back pain wasnt constant and would go away when she took an alieve. But do what is best for you. :) goodluck!
  • rebeccalee1986
    Options
    I would wait until you are at your goal weight, that is what I am planning to, I've not lost any of my boobs and I'm starting to feel I look ridiculous so when I'm at goal weight if I still look ridiculous then I also will be getting a reduction. Maybe it will be the last place I lose weight and would like to avoid surgery if possible
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    I had a reduction in 2005. Before I was about a 40G. Went down to a 40D and wished I had gone smaller. I have lost about 40 lbs since then and my boobs look huge and they don't shrink with weight loss. I don't have any regrets and I'm actually considering another one.
  • nathalier71
    nathalier71 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I love to workout now and I hope that one day I can actually run - now I can run for a few minutes at a time but as my weight is dropping and my stamina is increasing from Zumba and BodyPump I hope that I can run without killing my knees. I know that running is going to be soo hard with a large chest and I have been thinking about this for years but until now (after 19 months of exercising 5-7x a week) I can really see a good reason other than it being hard to find bras and having to special order them. I have lost almost 50 pounds but I still have 60-90 to go depending on how thin I want to get.

Has anyone had a breast reduction? How big were you? what size are you now? would you do it again? did you lose all your weight first?

I had a breast reduction and would do it again in a flash! I don't know why I waited so long! I was a... I can't even remember! I know they took 5 lbs off and I'm now a C cup - I wanted the dr to make me an A cup - but he said it didn't work that way =).

I had lost 20 lbs at the time - I couldn't even walk around the block because my back hurt. Couldn't find a swimsuit - which sucks when you have a pool in the backyard!

The surgery itself was nothing - you are off work for 4 to 6 weeks though as you are tired afterwards. Why did I wait? I was afraid of the pain I guess. I had it done about 5 years ago and wouldn't even think twice to do it again.

The perks? - nice perky breast - which I never had before! haha

Good luck! send me a message if you have any questions.

ETA - I was about 150lbs and I'm 5'4".
  • flynnem4
    flynnem4 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on getting a reduction when I've had kids (no sense remodeling a house right before an earthquake, right?), at 34G my breasts are disproportionate to the rest of me and are so heavy that if I don't use very specific bra types, I get crippling migranes from the weight.

That said, doubling up on sports bras is way less expensive, and is how I plan on coping with running until later in life. I haven't had much issue with doing workouts like Sweatin' to the Oldies in a nice Champion sports bra though, but running is tough without doubling up.

Look on Amazon for sports bras, that's where I've found the best deals, plus the review sections are handy.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I recommend anyone who is pondering t a reduction to do a couple of things.

1. Get properly fitted for a bra. Many women who have back issues have issues because of ill fitting bras that are too big in the band! This calculator is a great starting point. If the bra size you are wearing isn't in the neighborhood of this calculator, it is time to go shopping!

http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm

Before I was properly fitted, I was wearing a 40DD or some other terrible size. When I got resized, I was refitted into a 36G. (now I am a 34H) Once that happened, I was able to find sports bras that fit and gave me plenty of support without having to wear 2. (Shock Absorber and Freya work for me! Running jumping etc are all ok). Things were a lot better.

My sister was having back problems, and once we was resized most of that went away for her.

on to point 2.

2. Work on your core strength (planks are your friend). You'll want to have strong abs and a strong back. This might solve many of your problems.

These tips may or may not solve your problems, but I do want to say that getting a reduction isn't the only answer to being able to run with a large chest. Well functioning sports bras do exist to fit you!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Oh one more note! I am actually a weirdo so far. I haven't actually lost any weight in my bust at all!

At my heaviest, I was alternating between 36G/38F.

Last year I was 15 pounds lighter than I am now, and my size changed to 32HH/J. I have only lost around the rib cage, and not volume, at 50 pounds down. Your mileage may vary, but I haven't really changed much in terms of size!

At the moment I am in the 32HH/34H range.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I'd wait until you are within 10 pounds of your goal weight then evaluate. Some women lose weight in their breasts closer to their desired size. If you got a reduction now and continued to lose upward of 90 pounds you might be left with nothing.

I lost 40 pounds and went from a 38DD to a 32D (but lost most of them in the last 20lbs), if I had had a reduction half way in I would have been very flat after all was said and done.

Edit: So, basically what I'm saying is, strap them puppies down tight and go run. I know they are a pain, but I can pretty much guarentee they won't be that big when you are at goal!

Good advice!

Depending on your genetics, the breast is made up of breast tissue and adipose. We've all learned the body will store and remove fat from wherever it dang well pleases and in what order it pleases, so if you are carrying a lot of adipose in your breasts, you may lose nearly all of it but not until the very end. You just won't know until you get there. If you lose the weight and discover those big mamas are 100% grade A breast tissue and not going anywhere, then you can weigh your options.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I recommend anyone who is pondering t a reduction to do a couple of things.

1. Get properly fitted for a bra. Many women who have back issues have issues because of ill fitting bras that are too big in the band! This calculator is a great starting point. If the bra size you are wearing isn't in the neighborhood of this calculator, it is time to go shopping!

http://www.sophisticatedpair.com/bracalculator.htm

Before I was properly fitted, I was wearing a 40DD or some other terrible size. When I got resized, I was refitted into a 36G. (now I am a 34H) Once that happened, I was able to find sports bras that fit and gave me plenty of support without having to wear 2. (Shock Absorber and Freya work for me! Running jumping etc are all ok). Things were a lot better.

My sister was having back problems, and once we was resized most of that went away for her.

on to point 2.

2. Work on your core strength (planks are your friend). You'll want to have strong abs and a strong back. This might solve many of your problems.

These tips may or may not solve your problems, but I do want to say that getting a reduction isn't the only answer to being able to run with a large chest. Well functioning sports bras do exist to fit you!

This advice is perfect. Seriously perfect.
  • MicheleMMK
    MicheleMMK Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would consider it closer to your goal weight, as I remember my Plastic surgeon saying smaller breasts will make everything else look bigger :). And I was 5'3" and 140 at the time...oh to be that what I thought was "fat" again... I had mine when I was 30, should have done it years before that\.. I had horrible neck and back pain that no chiro, no pain meds could give me relief. Had to wear two bras to exercise and still it hurt and I had horrible pain before each period. Yes, it's a major surgery, but based on my back and neck x-rays and potential for further nerve damage, mine was deemed totally medically necessary. The day after the surgery my pain was gone. I have zero regrets and had the very best of experiences. I was a 38DDD, went down to a 38 B/C. Your scars will be like how you scar. If you tend to scar very badly (ie keloid type thick ropy scars, then you won't have as good outcomes. Mine faded to totally thin white lines within a few years. I had 3 subsequent pregnancies soon after and they did not affect them much. But then life happens and at 40 at my first Mammo, I was found to have DCIS Stage 0 Breast Cancer and ended up having a Uni-Mastectomy with reconstruction (ahem, an augmentation-would my former big breasted self have ever fathomed that??) and a small lift on the other side to help with symmetry. So now I have the pretty 20 yo breasts I never had back then!! Crazy...

So follow your heart. Everyone's journey with their own body is different, so no one can really judge what you should do. It's a huge personal decision based on you alone. It can't hurt to meet with some plastic surgeons for a consult. If you haven't had kids yet, be prepared to feel funny baring your body so clinically and casually! Ha, I was soooo embarrassed that appt! There was also a website with a very supportive message board for BR ladies, can't remember which, but check some out. Very helpful to see pictures and read very real experiences. I hope this helped somewhat. Fee free to message me. All the best to you!
  • ljb82
    ljb82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have my breast reduction surgery scheduled for June 2014. My surgeon wants me to lose 70lbs first.