Pilates?

Options
Sorry in advance, this might be a bit of a long story.

I'm 28 yrs old and was in the military for 5 years active duty. While I was in (around Oct 2006) I started having (or started really noticing) lingering pain, mostly at the end of a long day or at night, in my left hip joint specifically. I went to the doctors on base and told them about it, they did a few touchy feely things, and xrays and came up with nothing. I gave up for a few months but then decided that it was still something I wanted to pursue because it hurt. The next doctor asked me a few questions and actually looked at the rest of my joints. Mainly my shoulders and my fingers and wrists. His statement was that I have congenital joint laxity. He wanted me to start physical therapy to strengthen the muscles around my hip joint which he said should help.

I started PT and then twisted my knee on some stupid contraption while my therapist wasn't paying attention. He barely checked my knee and sent me on my way. I ended up on vacation on a bad knee before I ever had a MRI. After a few MRIs, even separated by years I've been told that my knee is structurally sound and I'm fine.

But I hurt almost constantly. I had a chiropractor tell me that I have sciatica. Finally, after 4 years of hurting, it got so bad the other day that I went to see my MD and he said...Nope, definitely not sciatica, but he doesn't know what it is and wants me to have a CT scan.

So, the pilates, the best I've found about the actual hip pain (not the mystery pain) on my own is hypermobility which I guess causes your body to have to overcompensate to keep the joints in place? Really most of this is my research (I'm hoping this new doctor will help come up with something). I've read that pilates is a good tool for helping strengthen muscles and for problems of this sort. Has anyone else heard this?

Do you know of any good pilates videos for a starter with limited flexibility?

Thanks for reading my obnoxiously long post!

Replies

• Jendf
    Jendf Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I really like Gaiam's AM/PM Pilates.
  • CharityD
    Options
    The Windsor Pilates series is good and it gives alternative poses.
    You may want to look into accupuncture. I had the same problem for 10 years with my hip. Turns out, my piriformis was out and the accupuncture fixed it right up! When I got off the table and didn't have the hip pain, I burst into tears. I had forgotten what it was like to not hurt!
    Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I have a beginner Windsor Pilates DVD and they give you modified poses for those with "tight hips" or pain in the hips so this might be good for you. I've been doing it and I feel the burn on every pose and leaves me sore if I don't get enough protein. It works GREAT for strengthening the muscles - I finally have muscles in my inner thighs, it's not all just fat anymore!! It's also great for just general health. I feel stronger and more capable of doing other exercises because of the Pilates. I do it 3x/week.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    The Windsor Pilates series is good and it gives alternative poses.
    You may want to look into accupuncture. I had the same problem for 10 years with my hip. Turns out, my piriformis was out and the accupuncture fixed it right up! When I got off the table and didn't have the hip pain, I burst into tears. I had forgotten what it was like to not hurt!
    Good luck!

I would also recommend accupuncture. They did an awesome job with pain therapy for me a while back. It also did a lot for heeling.

For Pilates videos, I like the Crunch - Super SlimDown: Pilates Yoga Blend
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I like Mari Winsor's pilates DVDs (you buy them online). They're a little pricier than what you can get at your local retail store, but I think well worth it. She has several different kinds. I started years ago with her Basic 3-DVD set (available on eBay). There is a DVD that takes you through the moves, then a DVD of the actual work out (about 45-50 minutes long). I just purchased her new set with the weighted bar and the 20 minute blast was actually a lot easier than her original DVD set. She always has a person on the DVD that does "limited" type moves, mostly to protect the back, but I'm sure just limited range of motion on a lot of the leg work will help. It does really strengthen - I'm not really sure why this site lists Pilates as cardio because it's more strength training, especially working the core and legs. Hope that helps!
  • jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Options
    I would recommend yoga as well as pilates. Not all yoga is crazy bending and twisting, you can do modified poses and gain lots of benefits for your issues. Restorative yoga would be great for you!
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I would recommend yoga as well as pilates. Not all yoga is crazy bending and twisting, you can do modified poses and gain lots of benefits for your issues. Restorative yoga would be great for you!

What is restorative yoga?
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    Once again my MPF friends step up to bat. Thank you all for your advice!
  • 3Gr8kids
    3Gr8kids Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I really like Suzanne Bowen's '10 Minute Solution' Slim & Sculpt Pilates videos! You can do them in as short as 10 min segments and feel a difference and just add more segments as time permits. I definately recommend it! Best wishes!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I've had an injury to my sacroiliac joint and teaching pilates and yoga have really helped me. I highly recommend the Healing Yoga series and Stott Pilates.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Although pilates will build muscles, a lot of the movements are done quickly so you get a bunch of reps in. This might not be a good thing for someone struggling with the issues that you've mentioned, as it might lead to more injury.

Have you thought about yoga? These movements are slower and are held longer, so you still develop muscle tone without being rippy. I love Sara Ivenhoe yoga videos, such as the Joy of Yoga or Yoga for Dummies. She has a ton of other videos, so if you do a search for her, you should be able to find her website. An added bonus: she's got a very soothing voice and a great, relaxing cool down that will release any stress you've had in your day!

Shannon
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Although pilates will build muscles, a lot of the movements are done quickly so you get a bunch of reps in. This might not be a good thing for someone struggling with the issues that you've mentioned, as it might lead to more injury.

Have you thought about yoga? These movements are slower and are held longer, so you still develop muscle tone without being rippy. I love Sara Ivenhoe yoga videos, such as the Joy of Yoga or Yoga for Dummies. She has a ton of other videos, so if you do a search for her, you should be able to find her website. An added bonus: she's got a very soothing voice and a great, relaxing cool down that will release any stress you've had in your day!

Shannon

If you are doing Pilates quickly, then you are doing it wrong. You're suppose to focus on your breath while doing it and flow through the movement so that you breathe in for a count of 5 and out for a count of 5 and one rep is done in the total 10 count. That isn't fast at all. It's a slow and controlled movement at about the same or slower speed as power yoga.

That being said, with laxity in the joints you don't want to do a lot of stretching because that will make it worse. Holding yoga moves that require a lot of strength and balance (warriors, tree, etc.) will be great, but holding stretching poses (straddle, nose to knee, etc.) may make it worse.