Upset that I was shamed by a *family* member about food

Options
So, I have to tell a bit of a back story. I'm going to be as brief as possible.

This past May, I earned my Master's Degree and had to move back in with my mom in my hometown. Even if I adjuncted a full-time load both Fall and Spring, and picked up 2 summer classes to teach in the summer, I could expect to earn somewhere between $10,000 and $12,000 per year. This is obviously not enough to live on. So in order to adjunct to get the teaching experience I need to be a stronger candidate for a full-time position, I had to accept moving back in with my mom (herself a widow) at the age of 30. Not a pleasant reality.

So, I take Ambien CR, and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night feeling goofy and eat some food late at night. It doesn't happen very often, but the Ambien was not true "Ambien eating" in the sense that I couldn't remember it the next day. I could. And I was still aware that I was making a choice to eat when I woke up at night. It's just that feeling kind of stoned on Ambien makes me think that a little bit of sweets sounds really good at the moment (these are constantly available in the form of PB & J sandwiches and a frequently stored batch of rice crispy treats (etc) [and also not my choice or preference for commonly stocked foods].

The wave of judgment, concern, and questions I get on these questions has been immense. At least half a dozen times the next day, my mom has asked "If [ I ] want [her] to 'stop' me if I'm eating late at night." I know very quickly that this would only cause more problems (such as, this essentially involves guilting me over my food choices late at night). Every time she asked if I wanted her to "provide" this "service," I said it would not be helpful.

So two nights ago, I cave into temptation. She is at the top of the stairs and says, rather sternly, "Dave, your AMBIEN eating! Stop!

At this point, I have to consider for a moment how to express how this statement is *not okay* with me. So I think for a moment, and say, "Mom, I don't want you to be the food police around here."

Her response, "Fine! Eat as much as you like then!" And then she goes to bed.

The next day, I find out that she is mad at me for this exchange. She said I was incredibly rude to her. I reviewed the conversation. It turned out, she felt she was being very delicate about the situation. She didn't recall saying, "Fine, eat as much as you like," but it "sounded like" she might have said that, but didn't recall exactly. I also raised the point that on several occasions, she had asked me during the day if I wanted her to stop me when I ate late at night. I had always told her that doing that would not be helpful at all. Now, all of a sudden, she doesn't remember asking that several times. She only remembers saying it once.

I tell her she essentially shamed me about food and this was not something I wanted. If I wanted to be shamed about my eating habits, I would have tried to join The Biggest Loser. I can see that she is seething with anger with her belief that she was treated rudely last night. I literally only said, "Mom, I do not want you to be the food police around here." And I said it with all the consideration I could muster, which was actually quite considerable. In fact, if she wanted to claim that her tone was delicate, then it's hard to explain how this was her goal with the comment, "Fine! Eat as much as you like!" Consider this was her response after I said one sentence. This was not a lecture or a paragraph response she got. It was one, carefully worded statement that said I didn't appreciate being shamed about eating late at night.

This issue has not been resolved. But I just have to let it go. She has said, in anger, that she will never make any statement again if I am raiding the fridge late at night. In reality, I would be too ashamed to cross the barrier to the kitchen in search of food after bedtime at this point. In fact, I made a little sign last night to hang on my door (after bed) that says, "Do you really want to be shamed about eating again?" The idea is, I'd have to see this sign and take it off to get past the door knob. I'm never going to let her know about the sign, but I think she has very little idea of how her statements were actually perceived. And even, how that perception of her statements was actually quite understandable. I remember asking her the next day to, "consider how I myself might have felt about what she said." Her only concern the next day was how she was treated in my one sentence statement about food police.

This living arrangement is hopefully not going to last past a year or two. But I have to say that I don't appreciate being guilted about food. I've lost a lot of weight, but on occasion I screw up my program. I don't need others to shame me when this happens. My family has struggled to lose weight. I have worked hard, but my work has paid off. To date, I've lost 110 pounds since the beginning of my weightloss journey. My brother and mom struggle and yo-yo over the same 10 pounds when they are 40 pounds overweight. I had more to lose, but I've managed healthy lifestyle changes that are permanent, as opposed to temporary diet restrictions.

I just had to vent, because I've had no one to share this with. I'm still upset about this treatment, but she is clueless. And if I communicated how bothered I was and am, I would probably get a pretty negative response very quickly. . .

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it sucked for both of you. Hope it gets better soon.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You heard: My mother is shaming me.

She heard: My son doesn't want my love and concern.

She meant: Please don't eat that, you'll hate yourself tomorrow and it cuts my heart when you are in pain.

You meant: Mom, I'm a grown up, you don't have to protect me.

It is tough to be a 30 year old living at home. It is also tough to be the mother of a 30 year old living at home.
  • champ_3817
    Options
    First of congrats on getting your masters and loosing so much weight. You've come this far don't let a comment like that bring you down. I agree and hope you two can work it out!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    At the risk of getting internet flogged...

Do you think perhaps she thought she was really trying to help you? It seems clear to me that food is a sensitive issue for you and you've made a great deal of progress on your journey so far (congrats!). I only ask because that's the kind of thing my parents would do - ask me repeatedly if I wanted them to do something they thought would be "helpful" and I have to tell them repeatedly, "no, thank you."

It just sounds a little like maybe she was hurt by the fact that she truly believes she's trying to keep you "on track" and when you snapped at her, she was upset.

But then again, parent-child relations are usually belabored with long-standing issues and history you can't neatly sum up in a single forum post.
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it sucked for both of you. Hope it gets better soon.

Thanks. Actually, living back in your family home after you have left is not easy. I don't think it's easy for anyone. No one wants to do it. But sometimes the finances don't work unless you do. I tried to enter the K-12 education system when I earned my bachelor's in 2009. I spent 2 years working as a substitute teacher for less than a living wage and with no benefits.

After two years of looking in a depressed field (you know there are some 300,000 less teachers working now than in 2008?), I decided to go back for my Master's in 2011. Actually, in our crazy system of education, this effectively shuts the door for me ever teaching in high school. A master's degree bumps me up the pay scale for the districts so quickly that my lack of teaching experience just makes me a risky and expensive investment for any school district. All education majors are told that if they get their Master's before they get real teaching experience, that they will "price themselves out" of K-12 education. So, the more qualified you are to teach your subject, the less able you are to actually enter into the school system. The exception to this rule is Early Childhood Education. But if you teach something like history or English or math, this is absolutely true.

But after 2 years of at least 90 applications sent out and only 1 job interview, I decided it was time to go back to school and attempt to get into the community college system when I get my Master's. That part is working out OK. I'm adjuncting this Fall and that is an improvement. It's not a lot of money, but at least I'll finally be teaching. I've actually spent a number of years in K-12 classrooms already, so I'm not that "green" when it comes to classroom management and dealing with students.

edit: and if 90 applications doesn't sound like a lot, it should be mentioned that I could only apply for history teaching positions. Politicians love to talk about boosting "math and science" scores. But very little prerogative is given towards strengthening humanities education. There is a bit of a war against classic humanities right now. Even Obama talked in glowing terms about boosting Math and Science education during his election campaigns. Boosting history education is never mentioned as a priority when speeches like this are given. Understanding american history is subversive. It makes you question the statements of leaders rather than passively accept them. It seems to many good history teachers that their profession and subject are simply not as valued by the political establishment precisely because it makes their jobs tougher if people are skeptical. . .
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

She meant: Please don't eat that, you'll hate yourself tomorrow and it cuts my heart when you are in pain.

It is tough to be a 30 year old living at home. It is also tough to be the mother of a 30 year old living at home.

Very insightful.
  • mmouse90
    mmouse90 Posts: 83
    Options
    I use to be on Ambien and I started to getting a numb sensation down the right side of my face. My understanding is Ambien was never meant to be a long term use type of medication. I would really ask your doctor about going on something that does not have the side effects that Ambien has and is safe to use long term. This may help with your Ambien eating too, which means you won't feel bad for eating at night and your mom would not feel bad for trying to help you from doing that
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    OP: Have you tried private tutoring though a Kaplan, Sylvan, Huntington, etc.? Usually those are flexible hours.

Also, tutors in my city (I'm in a major metro) earn anywhere from $30 to $100. per hour depending upon level, experience and subject.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've asked my husband to "shame" me--or what I consider "remind" me if I'm making a bad choice. He refuses. Probably a smart man, but I would appreciate it sometimes.
  • theseus82
    Options
    At any rate, thanks everyone for all the feedback. There is more back story about being the youngest of the family and generally not having my opinions or knowledge base accepted or valued.

Generally, the fact that I may actually know something is not a commonly accepted fact in my family. So I get lectured to a lot. And the moment I might say something substantial that I could back up with evidence or some explanation, my input is generally not appreciated or welcomed.

For instance, I elected to join the family for supper tonight with the grandchildren, etc. My brother asks me a question about something. 30 seconds into my answer my mom interrupts, curtly, "We don't care."

So I think something of the tone that she resorts to immediately is getting lost in translation here. But I still appreciate the feedback, so thanks.
  • Shari325
    Shari325 Posts: 196 Member
    Options

This is wisdom!
  • irisheyes7177
    irisheyes7177 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Bernadette606 hit the nail on the head - although I don't know what the tutoring stuff was about - LOL. But at one time I was divorced with 3 kids living with my mom. She is super skinny, always has been. My dad, my brothers and I are muscular and not rail thin - she doesn't understand and was constantlly on my case about my weight. Fast forward a few years. My daughter is in college and back at home for the summer and talks about how she gained the freshman 15 and wants to eat healthy. Well - I often come home and after she's been out partying all night - there is the dishes and food all over the room to prove that she isn't exactly eating healthy. I really have a hard time biting my tongue as a mom and not saying something. I try to remember how it felt for my mom to chastise me - and I feel like my only concern is for her health and well-being. And I know how binge eating can eventually catch up to you. But sometimes I just have to say something (it makes me feel better - ugh, I know!!) So I feel for both of you! It's great to have family to suppost you - but hard being on the receiving end and the giving end of the support as well. Good luck! Vent away - that's why we are on this site!
  • theseus82
    Options
    And, although I appreciate the feedback, I think a lot of you are projecting what you assume to be true about mothers in general about my mother here. Not all parents actually love their children. And many parents say hurtful things to their children even when they do love them. Thoughtless and damaging statements are uttered all the time by loving parents. Generally, I don't put shaming people about food in the "positive" category of interactions.

edit: I'm not saying my mom doesn't love me. I know she does. Just a preemptive edit here. . .

I'll also include that it seems a little presumptuous to assume that delicacy was an overriding thought at the time.

I've had two girlfriends observe a behavior that I warned them in advance about: my mom hates ordering food from a fast food place. She absolutely hates it. It has nothing to do with the server, it has to do with what she feels the experience is of being rushed to place an order at the counter or drive-up window. She treats people like garbage who work in the fast food industry. She treats them like absolute ****. And from the get-go, for no reason whatsoever. My brother pointed this out to her: that there was no reason for her hostility when she places an order at any fast food restaurant. My last girlfriend was dismayed, and privately told me that fast food menus have been designed to be understood by people who can't read. But my mom says the menu boards are "confusing" and so she treats the employees at these establishments like ****.

This is pretty much how she treats people when she is annoyed with them as well. She loves her grandchildren but shouts at them pretty quickly. She's very harried, and I understand that. But she doesn't deal with stress at all anymore since my dad died 2 years ago. She once told me late one night that she "just wanted all the bad things in life to stop." She has elaborated that at her age, she just doesn't want to deal with problems anymore. So if you're the problem she can be rather irate with you instantaneously.

If you want a barometer of how someone will treat you when they are upset with you, pay attention to how they treat service staff when you're in public with them. That's a good indication of the behavior you can expect from them when you're not on their good side. It's a good rule of thumb for dates, so I don't see why it doesn't also apply to the general population as well. . .
  • Tristaan
    Tristaan Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sounds very toxic, and seems to go much deeper than you could ever discuss here. Mothers can be difficult. They're human, and they have their own hang ups. You're an adult. You've already achieved a lot in your life, despite the negativity you seem to get from your family. Time to stop worrying about affirmation you may never get. Remind yourself this is a temporary situation, and keep focused on your goal to get a teaching job and eventually move out on your own again.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give an opinion purely based off of what you've provided and what I've read.

You moved back in with your mother and she is fully aware that you are losing weight (congrats btw). She is also aware that Ambien causes you to be a little 'loopy' and makes you eat at night. By asking if you would like her to stop you, she isn't doing it to shame you. She is trying to help you. Shaming you for eating would be calling you out on it the next day with derogatory remarks about your weight or size. She is simply trying to help you stay on track.

Now, if you aren't exactly in the right state of mind, I don't really know if you would have a clear picture of how the altercation went down either. It could be you took things the wrong way or read in to it the wrong way, or hell, even responded with more aggression then you realized.

I'm sorry, I just don't see this as shaming you about your food. It sounds like she is genuinely trying to help you and you see it as, "I'm a 30-year-old adult and I don't need you telling me what to do."

As a mother, if I knew my daughter was attempting to get fit and healthy but had a hard time with nighttime snacking, I would of course offer to help her in any way possible. Based off of how you explained it, this wasn't an attack. I believe you are perceiving hostility where there is none. Then again, I don't know your mother.

Congrats on the masters and the weight loss. I hope that you are able to find a full time job soon and get on your own two feet.
  • irisheyes7177
    irisheyes7177 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that. I know how that can be. Just the other day after losing 5 pounds and feeling very proud - my mom said to me, "I think that my punishment in the afterlife is going to be to come back and live as a fat person so I will finally understand how you feel". I think she meant it as some sort of backhanded compliment - I just laughed my *kitten* off - really? Did you just say that? I have maybe 15-20 pounds to lose. Parents can be cruel. Maybe living there isn't the right answer - maybe you can switch sleep medications? Or just learn to laugh and ignore like I do with my Mom - I have learned to feel sorry for her - because she clearly isn't a happy person.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to become the strong, silent, soft-spoken, unassuming, lead-by example type with your family members...no matter how much they yell. I think delaying your responses for a few seconds when things get heated and thinking it through will help with this...even though it's not your fault. Also, make sure if someone yells something to you, you go right to the room they're in and don't reply until you're close enough that they can hear you without needing to resort to yelling. Keep calm body language and posture. Good luck.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Your mother lost her husband two years ago, she doesn't handle stress and you moved back in with her. She has said she only wants all the bad things to stop.

You haven't mentioned finances, but are you contributing to the household? My in-laws hated eating out, cause they were on fixed incomes and they saw eating out as expensive..those menus meant recalculating the budget.

She's human. Sounds like she's stressed, she may be grieving, and she may need some extra kindness and compassion.

Added: Also, the tutoring is something I'd like to raise again. I don't know the requirements for being employed by the tutoring companies I mentioned, but if you are making $12k a year now, it might be worth checking out since you have a degree in education.
  • Oliviamarie05
    Oliviamarie05 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Your mother lost her husband two years ago, she doesn't handle stress and you moved back in with her. She has said she only wants all the bad things to stop.

She's human. Sounds like she's stressed, she may be grieving, and she may need some extra kindness and compassion.

I too agree with you.
  • theseus82
    Options
    Yes, I've thought about what's been said here, and I understand what you're saying. I appreciate all of the insight and feedback.

I'm willing to chalk it up as a mis-communication and a mis-reading of intentions.

I do cut my mom a lot of slack because she's lost her husband of nearly 30 years. It was very hard for the family, but she's lost her partner and she's clearly a depressed and tired woman. In fact, I've seen how exhausted and, sadly, miserable she looks at the end of the day. But having a conversation with her only seems to make her more tired.

I'd have to estimate that 90% of her free time is spent listening to the 24 hour news from MSNBC while playing Zuma's Revenge on her computer. She's doing a lot of day-care equivalent stuff for my brother's children. She's mostly retired but still teaching an online class every term for the community college here.

I know that she doesn't know what to do with her free time besides tune herself out as completely as she can. Its unfortunate. I would at least hope that my brother would not come home and add to her troubles, but he quite clearly hates his day job (he's a defense attorney) and is also very stressed and busy from life with 3 kids and a very unstable biological mom of his first kid with shared custody.

So everyone is generally stressed, on-edge, incredibly busy, and constantly trying to be the "good example" to the kids.

I was leaning towards deciding not to have children myself. After seeing the every-day lives of my brother and mother, I'm more certain now than ever that I really do not want to have kids of my own.

I do appreciate all the wisdom that has been shared here. It's made me reconsider my reaction to the situation. Regardless of how individual events may seem right now, I'll try to keep in mind the good counsel here that basically stresses the fact that my mom is going through a difficult time and needs patience and understanding when she's not her best.

I do seriously worry at times that she may one day become a suicide risk. She seems that depressed in her life. I would at least like it if my brother didn't come home to pick up his kids and start yelling about situations that arise during his work day. His children are too young to understand that he is angry about an exchange with his secretary earlier that day, or whatever. I was annoyed once about some unexpected banking fees I had that came up through the extremely fine print in my banking agreement. She immediately responded that she "can only put up with so much "Metcalf" rage in a day. She was referring to my brother, who was coming home angry all the time.