5:2 diet...first week. 6lb gain...?

Options
2»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 5:2 for a year...

If you are doing it for fast weight loss you are going to be disappointed!
    Although the title is "5:2 The Fast Diet" the fast refers to fasting and not to fast weight loss - that's isn't what it's for at all.
    The main aim of 5:2 is health benefits and the rate of loss is likely to be slow.

I absolutely love this eating pattern but you really should read the book and then decide if it's what you want.
  • smb397
    smb397 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was going to say much the same as many others on here.

However, I gave up trying to do the 5:2 diet as it gave me dreadful headaches on the fasting days and although my weight was fairly stable I did not lose very much during the six weeks I tried it.

Having said that my daughter and son-in-law have been doing this for a while and are steadily losing weight and quite happy on the diet.

My lack of weight loss and their apparent weight loss might be because they have a lot more to lose than me.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    You still have to run a weekly deficit to lose weight... Which means counting calories if you don't know how much to eat yet.
  • iain_71
    iain_71 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm on a general calorie restriction diet, I have friends on the 5:2 diet some it works for some not. As has been said elsewhere the ones it's not working for is that on the non-fast days they binge eat fast food etc. 5:2 is not a quick fix but can have other health benefits and can help with weight loss if you still have some restrictions on the non-fast days. One I reach my target weight or I am no longer obese I may switch to 5:2. I wish there was a quick fix there is not and once you loose it you have stay eating healthy or it will go back on. I think I may have had 1 KFC burger in 3 months since I started my diet, the only other thing I would suggest is always plan at least the day before what you are going to eat. It helps ensure you will get the calorie deficit over the week or month whichever you are planning.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I know that fad diets are not ideal, but I am wanting to lose weight quickly for a special occasion at the end of the month and my usual calorie counting wasn't seeing the speedy weightloss I was craving (1-2lb a week, on 1200 allowance)

I have heard a lot of good feedback about the 5:2 diet, and a few people I know (including my mother!) are doing it, successfully. So, I decided to give it a try!

As I have felt so restricted when calorie counting, it really appealed to me that 5 days a week you could apparently eat pretty much what you want..

So yesterday, I had a KFC and today I had fish and chips at the seaside. My normal days have averaged around 2000cals a day.

I started this on Wednesday night (ate nothing after about 6pm) and my first fast day was Thursday where I ate around 490 cals. My next fast day was planned for tomorrow...

However, I had a sneaky weigh in on the scales and appear to be 6lb heavier than I was on Wednesday evening!!

Could anyone please advise on how to do this diet successfully? I know KFC and fish and chips may stall dieting but really did not expect a 6lb gain...

Does our weights change throughout the week this dramatically? Should I ignore the advice to have treats/feasts on normal days and restrict as normal?

I am not expecting miracles, and I know I am being rather impatient! I just don't want to continue on a diet if its putting weight on.

Many thanks for taking the time to read my confused plea :)

If you're doing the 5:2 diet to lose weight quickly then you really shouldn't be eating both KFC and takeaway on your normal eating days because your body will just store it as fat, remember that your previous calorie restrictions and your current fasting has likely slowed your metabolism down. It's better to try gradually increasing your calories on the other five days, like say eating 1,500 calories, instead of going straight from 1,200 to 2,000 which your body will immediately try storing as fat.

Also try and stick to healthier options to fill up on. Fish and chips are nice for an occasional treat and you shouldn't feel like you can NEVER eat stuff like that or anything, but if you have them on the same week as KFC then you're bound to gain a couple of pounds. It's all about moderation