Yom Kippur

Options
Is anyone else going to be fasting for Yom Kippur? If so are you going to eat a little bit more today to help for tomorrow?

Replies

• Want2bHealthE
    Want2bHealthE Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Definitely! We will have a big meal tonight and I'm not worrying about calories today because I will be making up for it tomorrow. We usually break fast with a relatively small meal since it doesn't feel good to eat something heavy after a fast and so late in the evening. We also have quite a walk to get to synagogue so I feel like I need the extra calories tonight (not to mention a lot of extra water) to have the energy for tomorrow. Gmar chatima tova and tsom kal!
  • John8188
    Options
    Yeah this will be the first one I really try do it right. I don't live near temple so I might just go for a walk.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm not Jewish, but I know that more than how much you eat before a fast - WHAT you eat matters. Things that keep you full longer - some dairy, oatmeal type foods, pasta, and starches etc. Things that give you sugar stores to tap into like carb doping the day before a track meet.

And you shouldn't need to make up for the 24 hours off - at least if we're talking to keep your metabolism on track - one time / short fasting breaks like this help confuse your metabolism. No starvation mode worries in skipping one day of eating.
  • freebirdsnsc
    freebirdsnsc Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I believe I am of Jewish decent on my moms side of the family however I am of Christian faith Not denomination mind you Christian big difference!
    I acknowledge and try to keep and remember all of Gods ordained holy days.

For me Yom Kippur is about repentance and acknowledging my need for God. I am ever mindful if this. Im committing my sin of gluttony to him permanently So I am already fasting from sugar candy ect. Not something that came easy for me before my commitment to win this battle

I know tomorrow should be a day of rest and reflection but we have a veteran in need He lost his wife a while back and is partially paralyzed on one side from a stroke We will be going to his home to assist in cleaning up his yard and house.

So what ever you decide for yourself fasting or not.....many blessings and Shalom