I have no motivation to stop smokimg.

Options

Replies

• zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Enjoy copd or lung cancer??? Not being able to see your grandchildren grow up.

All I've got.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My reason for asking was one of economics. But then I read all the posts and saw that one poster tallied up the cost to be about 54k for them.

My sweetheart and I quit at the same time, and it generated over 200/month in money not spent. I was a pack a day smoker, she was about half that. With cigarettes at 5 bucks a pack (cheap here in KY) that tallies out to about 220 per month.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am a respiratory therapist and COPD is a long slow way to die. Try plugging your nose and breathing through a straw for an hour and then think about doing that 24X7. Emphysema cannot be reversed
  • Rssblade
    Rssblade Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You can use all the reasons above, but until YOU make the choice, you will just keep making excuses for smoking and fail,I know, I have been there, ( I stopped twenty years ago now, good luck and remember it is possible..)
  • NotThePest
    NotThePest Posts: 164
    Options
    Hi,

Came over here and read this topic, then jumped over to a medical site I subscribe here and this was the first thing that popped up:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/pulmonology/smoking/40837

uncanny.
  • Ineedtofeelskinny
    Ineedtofeelskinny Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well for one your teeth will start to rot and you will start to stink, also you might be affecting the health of those around you. Another reason you should stop is because you are 80% more likely to get lung cancer then women who don't smoke. And smoking causesn 90% of COPD cases. I could go on and on about the reasons you shouldn't smoke, but every time you smoke you lose about 6minutes of your life, but that eventually adds up to about 20 to 40 years depending how much you smoke. You have kids, do you want them to lose you before they really have to? That's something you need to ask yourself.
  • I_Like_To_Exercise
    Options
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Let's see...it's no longer in style, most people think it's gross, including a lot of smokers, it's expensive as hell nowadays and will only get even more so, it will wrinkle your skin, people give you dirty looks, you can't smoke inside anywhere any more so it's a hassle, you probably don't even enjoy it, it's not impossible to quit, even other smokers will be impressed with you for quitting...this doesn't even touch health reasons.

ETA: oh, I should add that I quit cold turkey 5 years ago, pack a day habit starting at 15. Yep, it was hard. Yep, totally worth it.

"HANDS CLAPPING LOUDLY" I too quit cold turkey 5 years ago and for some reason it didn't bother me at all and I too was a 1 pack a day smoker. I will also say as an ex smoker that frankly it stinks. the smell is just nasty. I'm not one of those righteous ex-smokers just think that it not only is the best thing you could ever do for yourself you will feel like a new person (and side benefit, food taste better) Good luck and if you want to do this and want help along the way, send me a FR :flowerforyou:
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,657 Member
    Options
    My GP told me that you can get away with about 25 years of smoking before getting the probability of getting related diseases increases dramatically. So if you started at 17 make sure you quit by 42 if you don't want to die of something horrible like lung emphysema.

Also as a previous poster said, after 10 years the damage done is reversed. When I quit, I found it difficult to face the idea of never smoking again because I enjoyed it, so I told myself I would quit for 10 years and then re-assess if I wanted to start again. (Ha ha, no way.)

When I quit in 1993 I used the money saved as positive reinforcement. Back then, my habit was about the price of a new CD every week. At the beginning of the week I would buy a new CD and my contract with myself was not to smoke until the gift was paid for. As time went by, I would buy bigger presents representing a longer period of time (ie designer shoes with 3 months worth of cigarette money). I did this for a year or two. It took about a year before I stopped thinking of cigarettes.

Hope you find your motivation.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Let's see...it's no longer in style, most people think it's gross, including a lot of smokers, it's expensive as hell nowadays and will only get even more so, it will wrinkle your skin, people give you dirty looks, you can't smoke inside anywhere any more so it's a hassle, you probably don't even enjoy it, it's not impossible to quit, even other smokers will be impressed with you for quitting...this doesn't even touch health reasons.

ETA: oh, I should add that I quit cold turkey 5 years ago, pack a day habit starting at 15. Yep, it was hard. Yep, totally worth it.

yes these are all valid points and all so true, though I don't think anyone smokes for style, that was in the early 1900's
    Mad Men is all that comes to mind.

I been thinking about quitting, but damn I gave up every thing else. we'll see.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I smoked for 17 years and quit over 20 years ago. I really enjoyed smoking, but didn't enjoy the coughs and colds and sinus infections. I got really sick of wondering if I had throat cancer every time I got a sore throat. I knew it was expensive, I knew a lot of people hated the smell. I knew all the reasons every smoker knows.

I still couldn't quit until I found my own personal reason: I realized I was an addict and could not go through a single day with all the ordinary ups and downs without having this crutch every time I turned around. I could see smoking for enjoyment (even though it costs a lot and causes disease), but I was not going to be an addict who depended on this thing like an alcoholic or a drug addict. I grew really angry at myself. I quit that day and at the same time signed up for a 6-week stop smoking program because I knew I would probably start again.

You have to find your own personal reason. Nobody else can do that for you. Something has to matter to you more than the smoking to take the steps to stop the final time. For me, it was self pride.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Please post pictures and reasons. I just can't seem to find what I need.

I don't either. However, I got over it and quit anyhow. Nicotine patches got me through, took about 8 wks.
    That doesn't mean that even after better than 5 yrs gone by I still don't feel a pang now and then :huh:
    annnnd, I can smell a cigarette from a mile away, not unpleasant to me even now.

Don't judge me :laugh:

Good luck :drinker:
  • CFam5
    CFam5 Posts: 24
    Options
    I just quit smoking on July 21st. The first two days were absolutely hard. I wasn't going through withdrawl symptoms or all the other BS you hear about; I just wanted a cig!! After a week, I thought about it, but I didn't crave it. I bought a boook by Alan Carr called The Easy Way To Stop Smoking. It was $12 at B&N and at first my husband laughed at me, "A book is going to make you quit?" I thought, why not? $12 is far less than I spend on cigs. I read it. Interesting. I liked that it didn't tell me all the negatives and give me horrifing statistics about smokers; instead, it explained how smoking is an addiction that can be beaten. I didn't quit right away but I thought about that info in that book everytime I lit up. Eventutally, I had no desire to smoke. Everytime I even think about having a cig (my husband still smokes) I take a deep breath and remind myself that I'm adding years to my life, I feel so much better, and I even have increased energy. You can do it! You just have to really want to!!
  • wlawhorn1993
    Options
    I'll weigh in here, aesthetics aside, the health risks are numerous and large. I am a firefighter EMT, and an ex smoker. I see people everyday, 55 yo Female C/O diff. Breathing. Etc. 9.9/10 they are smokers, been smoking 30 years. They have COPD and cant breathe laying down. Some quit, docs always ask why they smoke and they have a generic answer, and he says well if you don't quit, today, you are going to die soon, and not in a comfortable way. Sitting in a chair on O2 drowning in your own fluid from pulmonary edema caused by sclerosis of the lungs. If that isn't motivation, how about cost, a pack of my brand of cigarettes are five dollars plus change. A pack a day so 5 times 7 is 35 dollars a week. That is 140 dollars a month, 1680 dollars a year, it may not seem like much, but that is my cable bill. I quit cold turkey when I found out I had hypertension in my 20's. I also like to sing, and smoking caused mucus to build up on my vocal cords and kill my range and clarity. You can quit with the gum and willpower if you want. About E Cigarettes. They do reduce the tar and the heat and smoke damage. However you are still a nicotinwe addict and eexcessive stimulant abuse such as smoking or chewing, causes high blood pressure and is a precursor for coronary artery disease. If you want to be spread on a table, have your sternum cut open with a saw, have them take veins from your leg. Clamp you heart off and put you on a machine that pumps blood for you, while the surgeonakes a new path for blood to flow, then continue using your e cigarette. You can quit smoking once you get past 72 hours half the battle is over. Then it is no longer a chemical addiction it is all physical. Using nicorette or nicoderm as directed will help you quit smoking, only if you use it correctly. Of you have any questions about quitting, advice, or need some more graphic motivation, private message me and I will be happy to help the beat I can.
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I am with you! I smoke too. I want to quit but the bottom line is I do enjoy it. However, I have lost 50 pounds and given up my go to snacking. I gave up my diet cokes as well. So I figure I can quit smoking too. One of my goals is to one day run a marathon, I know that I need to quit smoking to achieve that goal. Maybe a FITNESS goal will help us both to find a way to put the cigarettes down. I sure hope so. Good luck my friend! Lets face it, we both know WHY we have to quit, we just gotta do it. Just like losing weight it is a CHOICE. :)
  • LoreleiEvil
    LoreleiEvil Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Nah.
    What else would you like to change?
    Start with that.

Agreed. I smoked for a reason. Once I fixed that reason, I could quit. What's your reason? My reason was an abusive, yet handsome smooth talking dirtbag. I'll spare you the codependent details, but stress equaled smokes.
  • SoulEater7
    Options
    I smoked for that Feel, a quick little rush that was so addictive it held me for years, escapism, even for a couple of minutes, a few moments to myself.

if I was single, I probably would still be smoking, but I have a family now and enjoy gym & fitness way too much.

Towards the end, every puff I took, I kept thinking, that could be it now, Cancer! could be developing and spreading in me.

I literally felt this....time and time again as I was trying to quite, which initially "dragged" on but I eventually got there.

I relapsed a few times when i was out drinking with the lads but I'm proud to say I've been out twice recently drinking and didn't smoke.

I only hope that I didn't leave it too late. If the damage is done then I don't know how I'll live with myself, my children and wife deserve me to grow old and nag them.

I hope this helps.

Reasons I smoked:
    Bored
    Initially Liked the feeling, nicotine rush
    Stressed
    Socially

None of them worth it
  • Mari1672
    Mari1672 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I remember a job that gave me a 15 minute break every 4 hours, but smokers got about 4-5 extra cigarette breaks on top of that within the hour. Well in order to get the same amount of breaks I decided hell I'm going to do the same thing. Yeah not so bright. It took about 4-5 months before I started coughing up green stuff during my 15 minute jogs to work. I quit the cigarrettes and the nasty coughs just disappeared. I know to stop smoking after only 5 months wasn't very difficult but the point is how quickly it starts to attack your system! That's when I realized I was paying someone to give me cancer! Needless to say I have a much better job!:) Lesson I learned: I will never pay anyone money to hurt or possibly kill me!
  • RAEQ127
    RAEQ127 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I never had the motivation until I moved in with my non-smoking husband. I would try an ecigarette. It really is more of a social/habit for me. As long as I was around all my friends and family who smoked I didn't want to quit. When I was the only one it began to lose it's appeal!