Is there a reason for a rest day?

Options
For the last consecutive 35 days, I have gotten an intentional 1/2 hour minimum of exercise in per day, sometimes an hour. Either walking (anywhere between 1.5-3.5 miles) and biking (between 1-2 hours). This is in addition to trying to move more while at work, etc. I try to eat at or just slightly above my daily calories. On the bigger workout days I try to eat back some of those calories.

My question is, is there a reason to take a rest day from the intentional exercise? I feel fine. Actually, almost to the point where I feel guilty if I would. I have a lot to lose, so am trying my best at it. Just want to make sure I am on the right track. Plus I am trying to be very diligent as I know there will be some rough days in the future (i.e. STATE FAIR!! VACATION!!! lol)

Replies

• ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your excercises are very low intensity so no, don't worry about rest days. If however you started doing something actually more taxing than low intensity cardio then you might need a few rest days a week.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Walking and biking are both activities that you can do 7 days a week, 365 days per year as they're both low impact (if you were biking really hard -eg training for a race - you'd want to take the occasional day off riding)

Rest/recovery days are necessary if you're running (at least while you're new to it and going through a lot of physiological adaptations) and/or weight lifting to allow muscle tissue to repair.

If you think about it, the human body evolved to do hard physical labour, it's modern sedentary life that's more of a threat to our survival as a species.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Yes. Your activities are low impact but a mental break can be important. When you start feeling like you can't take a day off you're on the path to disordered thinking
  • pippin44
    pippin44 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I often wonder the same thing....... I feel a lot of anxiety on days when I don't go to the gym, but everyone tells me at least 1 day off per week. I usually do 45-55 minutes of cardio on a machine or in a class, plus strength every other day. I get the part about muscles needing a day to recover and build, but why cardo????
  • mmstone13
    mmstone13 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    This is the perfect information I was looking for. THANK YOU!
  • mikedel48
    mikedel48 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Last November I went from exercising 3-4 days a week to getting some level of exercise every day (282 consecutive days at this point). To me, the advantage of committing to exercising every day is that it then becomes a regular part of life and routine - just like entering my food calories in MFP every day. I don't have to struggle with the question of "should I exercise today or not?" I just do it. That being said, if you are going to exercise every day then here is some advice based on my experience:

1. Don't go hard every day. My personal minimum for counting a day of exercise is a 30 minute "coffee walk" ( a walk slow enough that I can carry and drink a cup of coffee). These are my "rest days". A hard day might involve a mountain climb, long hike, long run, etc - but I don't do those every day. I usually don't do more than 2 hard days in a row without doing an easy day.

2. To keep it interesting, do a variety of exercises - not just the same thing all the time. I run, walk, bike, climb, hike, ski, snowshoe, and weight lift at home. Figure out what you enjoy doing and mix it up!

3. Listen to your body. If you start feeling more tired than you should or have any pain, then go easy for a while. If exercising every day does not work for you - then don't do it. Figure out what works best for you as an individual and don't compare yourself to or compete with anyone else.

4. Remember that you are in this for the long haul, not for the quick fix. I am 64 and plan to continue an active lifestyle as long as possible.

5. Be mentally prepared that at some point there will be a day or days when you just are not able to exercise for whatever reason. When that happens don't give up - just start again.

Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you are counting a 30 min walk as exercise, you do not need special rest days.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority...there's no need to rest from 30 minute walks unless you feel like you need one. Active people move more than that every day, and there's no need for a bed-ridden rest day from life.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you and your body are doing great so not really. Sometimes my legs get tired from running I can barely walk so I take a rest day or even two.
  • elizamac123
    Options
    Rest days are important for many exercises, but walking and biking are not necessarily one of them. especially walking.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your excercises are very low intensity so no, don't worry about rest days. If however you started doing something actually more taxing than low intensity cardio then you might need a few rest days a week.

pretty much this.

unless you are having a brain day issue- then take a break- but what this guy said- spot on.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    With walking there is no need for a rest day. Rest days are good for muscular healing and mental breaks from monotony. Just vary your walks. Go longer/shorter, go in a new direction. Go to a different part of town. Go to a park or walk along a river. Pick a hill. Variety will help you to enjoy the activity more. I love when i can turn a walk into a scenic exploratory trip! I bring a camera! :happy: