Less than 10 feet from my desk is...

Replies

• nyrina4life
    nyrina4life Posts: 196 Member
    It found its way to this end of the office for the same reason's just before I started.

Throw it out? I'd be eaten as an alternative

I don't wanna make a fuss you know, technically I guess there are 2 choices; eat it or leave it....it's bloody hard.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh goodness. That made my day!

As for the food, I know how you feel. I use to work for a company that would go down the street and get 16+ oz shakes, and other goodies! Heck, they even had BEER stocked in the refrigerator. Its hard and I will admit, I often failed to behave.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Oooh this sounds like a great idea. Is there an alternative to dark chocolate, im not a big fan?

I think whatever you want in a small portion that you can pre-measure at home would probably do the trick. I like dark chocolate because it is one of the few sweets that don't make me crave even more sugar afterwards, but each person is probably different. I also am a chocoholic in general :)

I do love Coco-roons too, especially the brownie and cacao nib ones:
    http://mycocoroons.com/collections/coco-roons
    One brownie coco-roon has 79 calories, one cacao nib coco-roon has 87 calories. They are a touch expensive though.

Also skinny chunky monkey cookies (just banana, oats, peanut butter, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract). Recipe here:
    http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/2012/05/skinny-chunky-monkey-cookies-recipe.html

Isolate what your favorite 'sweet' is, and then browse for ways to healthy-fy it. Pinterest is a great resource for that, but I'd steer clear of pinterest browsing when hungry...
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    You should label each treat with a large sticky note of serving size and the calories and see how many people continue to eat them. It will probably be a deterant for most AND you if you have to pass by the large sticky note to get a piece of candy!

*edited for spelling.
  • Thank you!
  • DaniNicole21
    DaniNicole21 Posts: 26 Member
    Try working in the beer business. Full coolers in the office and everyday is an open bar.
  • MegsLeaBrown
    MegsLeaBrown Posts: 18 Member
    It found its way to this end of the office for the same reason's just before I started.

Throw it out? I'd be eaten as an alternative.

I don't wanna make a fuss you know, technically I guess there are 2 choices; eat it or leave it....it's bloody hard.

If you can't throw it out, can it be relocated? Just pick it all up and put it out of your eye sight at least, like in a break room cupboard or another corner of the room??
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Is anything chocolate? I can't tell. I might have a tough time, if there was chocolate!
    Noooo, what you see are fake things! No chocolate!
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    you should go write in sharpie marker on each package how many minutes of cardio you( or anyone else for that matter) would need to do just to burn off the calories for just one serving...it will make you and everyone else think;) lol
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    you should go write in sharpie marker on each package how many minutes of cardio you( or anyone else for that matter) would need to do just to burn off the calories for just one serving...it will make you and everyone else think;) lol

Everyone will identify you as having an eating disorder, at worst, or being insanely irritating, at best.

I just decided that I was, as a rule, not going to eat any candy or other junk in the office. No matter what. I'll eat it in other places, but in the office it simply isn't an option. Not even one bite. I made that decision abruptly three weeks ago, and now the candy no longer torments me :) I mean, if there was a chocolate bar in your office mate's desk, would you struggle with whether or not to eat it? No! Because it's not yours. Office candy is also not yours. Done!
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    I just complained to everyone on my homepage about the same thing... I have will power and try to eat healthy... but we all have those days, and those co-workers who keep at it.. OH.. just one, I share one with ya, One cookie/cake/donut wont hurt once in awhile.... the problem is, it seems like we constantly have Subway cookies, donuts from various bakeries, homemade, cakes, cookies, and chocolates being put into our mail boxes by staff from central office or jut our center. I sometimes bring it home and let my children eat it for me, so I don't seem so rude... but I am with you... I have suggested a center wide idea, to help get us all healthy.. they all kind of brush it off, or say they will and then don't. GOODLUCK! Maybe I should hang sign over my office door... Any suggestions for what it might say? LOL
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    . . . and the dumping ground for the stuff they don't want at home.
    Well, you could always take it and "dump" it somewhere else, including potentially someone else's area and/or the trash . . .
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    You should label each treat with a large sticky note of serving size and the calories and see how many people continue to eat them. It will probably be a deterant for most AND you if you have to pass by the large sticky note to get a piece of candy!

*edited for spelling.

Ok, this was an awesome idea!!
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    That would be difficult to look at all day long if there was a treat there you actually wanted. Some of it looks icky, but that's just my opinion.

I am lucky. I teach secondary school and my students are always sneaking food but it's gross, untempting food, like hot cheetos. >_< Yuck!

Someone suggested Dark Chocolate to satisify a sweet tooth. I'm 100% on board with that. I have 72% cacao chocolate squares from Ghirardelli (Twilight Delight), 230 calories for 4, so I count them at 58 calories each. One or two squares with a cup of tea is very satisifying.

For me, around treats, I cannot tell myself 'you can't have that!' I can have that, BUT I have to write it down and figure out how many calories I am consuming from that food item and adjust other meal calories and/or exercise to compensate.

The only way I was able to quit smoking was to tell myself, you can smoke if you want to, but you have to wait 2 weeks first. And my last cigarette, even after that 2 week wait period, was at a bar in the summer of 2001. But I can still have one if I want to! It's just the smell makes me sick now and I did not really enjoy the last one; it was just the final vestige of a drink/smoke habit that I have since lost.

Cakes, treats, donuts, whatever, you can have some if you want to. You're not bad and you didn't fail. They're not 'junk' or 'garbage', (not super nutritious) but they're just calorie dense food choices. Just write it down faithfully and adjust accordingly.

'I can't', 'I shouldn't', 'it's bad', or calling it names 'junk', 'garbage' etc. is a mindset that might only make you want it more.

I laughed at the suggestion to write down the amount of exercise it would take to burn the calories in those items, but yes, it would only stigmatize you at the office. If you really want something, pick something out, and record it in your food diary, that's my opinion.

Otherwise leave it alone. Or, bring something to work everyday that you enjoy and eat that instead.
  • Doone33
    Doone33 Posts: 171 Member
    Try working in the beer business. Full coolers in the office and everyday is an open bar.
    I can pass by chocolate... But the beer... WOW.. How do you keep from drinking everyday? Get bored, irritated with a co-worker.. chill out.. have a beer.. or three.. as three is my personal limit! LOL
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Muse mentions "stay away from, can't have" whereas it is psychologically helpful to turn it around and think about what you *can* have.

She also talks about how long something would have to be exercised off. Last time when buying groceries I chose mini bars of chocolate, then today compared the kcal amount to the feeling I had when running C25K. I thought "I'm good. The amount I'm burning now makes it okay to have the bars once in a while".
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    make lunch ur biggest meal of the day and eat that stuff.

then eat healthy at breakfast and dinner.

look at your cals and make room for all that yum in your macro's imagine the jealousy of your coworkers when they see you eating that stuff day after day after day and still losing weight.
  • bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    I agree with the brushing teeth idea. I hate just about everything after that. I keep a bottle of mouthwash in my desk for that very reason. Plus, no stinky breath after lunch! :happy:
  • lol, never mess with other people's food, could be very dangerous!
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    We have a 'goodies' table at work too. It's a mix of Asian treats and your basic carb filled munchies. The Asian treats are usually the hardest for me to resist with their delicate sweetness or savoury awesomeness.
  • belladonna99
    belladonna99 Posts: 4 Member
    Get a pack of sugar free mints and have them often...more convenient than brushing teeth and in addition you get the" Im not missing out Im having something else" bonus. If you cant move the stuff can you screen it from your vision (a work photoboard in the way, personal photos. Not the same as gone but at least not in line of sight.