Nervous about INSANITY...

Options
I started Insanity Monday after losing 30lbs through running & making better/smarter food choice. I am worried that I should have waited until I lost the last 15lbs before I started so I could just work on toning. I am not going to stop Insanity after just one work out, but I am nervous I am not going to lose the weight.

I DID take my measurments & am going to focus more on that than the scale. I just know that it's possible to not lose any weight on this particular program.

I do think that if I make it through Insanity I can go back to running & will have better endurance which will help me run faster/further & that will help me lose the remaining weight since I know it worked the first time.

Replies

• wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I used insanity to jump start my losing weight. I only lost five pounds, but I slimmed down and my stamina increased tremendously. But I didn't follow the program to the letter, I did other exercises too, so I fit that in around my other activities. At some point I will do the program again, because I did like the workouts
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Just because you don't lose weight doesn't mean that you won't see changes. I did Insanity, but didn't follow the program very strictly because I wanted to lift too. I only lost 2 pounds, but over 10 inches. Don't worry about the scale so much.
  • TKRV
    TKRV Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What did you guys do after you finished insanity? Did you just start over from month one again?
  • micheleb15
    Options
    What did you guys do after you finished insanity? Did you just start over from month one again?

I got bored of working out at home, so I went back to the gym to lift. Plus now that it's summer, it's nicer to workout outside. If I need to get in cardio then I will throw in a DVD.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I'm going to address the issues you raised, honestly, IMHO of course :wink:
    I started Insanity Monday after losing 30lbs through running & making better/smarter food choice. I am worried that I should have waited until I lost the last 15lbs before I started so I could just work on toning. I am not going to stop Insanity after just one work out, but I am nervous I am not going to lose the weight.

Great job losing 30 lbs! That's fabulous. Please let go of the notion that "toning" is an actual thing to be achieved. The visibility of your muscles depends on body fat percentages. You may lose "the weight", you may not, it depends. I've seen both ends of the spectrum and everything in between with Insanity. What is constant is losing "the inches", and that is what's going to change the way your body looks. You could stop Insanity at any time your choose. Its your journey, but stopping it for fear of not losing weight... :noway: I wouldn't suggest that. (Seriously, you have seen the Befores/Afters right?)
    I DID take my measurments & am going to focus more on that than the scale. I just know that it's possible to not lose any weight on this particular program.
    You said it, but I think it bears repeating. Focus on your measurements.
    I do think that if I make it through Insanity I can go back to running & will have better endurance which will help me run faster/further & that will help me lose the remaining weight since I know it worked the first time.

You can run during Insanity if you want. Don't limit yourself. This is your journey. If you want to continue working on your running, don't avoid that just because you've started a new program.

My well meaning advice, would be to loosen up. Following a certain "Program" to the letter isn't what's going to get you to your goals.
  • japar
    japar Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Insanity regimen is controlled by you...how hard you work during sessions and what you do with the program. I was looking for a good calorie burn (running ended for awhile with my ACL surgery) and Insanity was perfect. Not a complete replacement for strength training (at least for me), but it gives you some strength training and as much cardio as you can stand. I went through the Insanity program twice and now use it for my cardio on off strength training day. I think it is good stuff and recommend it (for what that's worth).
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You can run during Insanity if you want. Don't limit yourself. This is your journey. If you want to continue working on your running, don't avoid that just because you've started a new program.

I was worried that the amount of running I do + Insanity might be too much? Isn't it important to do the videos 6 days in a row & have the rest day?
  • micheleb15
    Options

I was worried that the amount of running I do + Insanity might be too much? Isn't it important to do the videos 6 days in a row & have the rest day?

No. Weight loss isn't based on Insanity program, it's based on calories burned to acquire a calorie deficit. If you skip a DVD to go running you aren't hurting anything.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

I think the rest day is important, especially during the second month. The difference in difficulty and length between month 1 and month 2 is substantial.

I would say play it by ear. Do the videos in order the first week and see how you feel. If you think you add in a run (esp. on Cardio Recovery day) do it and see how it feels. If every once in a while you substitute a long run for a video and that keeps you going, I don't think its the end of the world. I would try to stay with the videos in order a majority of the time.
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I say do what you feel comfortable. I am starting week 3 insanity now and occasionally have an extra spurt when I'm finished that I will add a mile or two to my workout. It's not all that often, but it's on the days that I feel either I didn't push myself as much as I could have in the end or the cardio recovery day. Your body will tell you if it's too much, but after insanity..running should be a breeze :laugh:
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't have any advice, but I was interested in reading the post. I started TapOut XT today and am a little nervous about it, but I AM looking forward to seeing what kind of results I can get from doing it since I've never taken my body under this type of intensity before, but I surprisingly kept up with the video today. I'm looking to lose inches--my body hasn't lost much weight since losing 50lbs, so I'm going to focus on inches/how my clothes fit. I, too, have been a runner and lost most of my weight through running, but I want to go to the next level physically. Initially, I am putting my running on hold, just because I want to get into the routine of doing TapOut regularly, and once I get used to it, then I'm going to incorporate my running again.

Good luck to you on your program!
  • Fitfully_me
    Options

What volume/frequency of running are we talking? 5ks, 10ks daily?
    I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run a few miles, a few days a week in addition to doing Insanity. OR, create your own program that incorporates Insanity AND running. Sounds like you enjoy running. Why chuck that to do something else?

I believe that rest days are important, indeed. Take them when you need them, not just when a program dictates you do so. If you need a rest day after 4 days, take one. If on your 7th day you feel up for a run, go for it. You'll know if/when you're "doing too much". Your body will let you know. Trust what you feel in terms of over doing it.
  • melissaka7
    melissaka7 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

It varies. Usually 4 miles most days & 5 miles on Sundays. I have Cardio Recovery today which I saw was pretty short. My legs are sore today, so depending on how I'm feeling I was thinking about walking on the treadmill. I'm not sure my legs would allow me to run tonight ;) !
  • Fitfully_me
    Options

It varies. Usually 4 miles most days & 5 miles on Sundays. I have Cardio Recovery today which I saw was pretty short. My legs are sore today, so depending on how I'm feeling I was thinking about walking on the treadmill. I'm not sure my legs would allow me to run tonight ;) !

If it were me, and my running was important, I would let that be my priority, and Insanity be secondary.

I also understand the desire to "stick to" the program. I think in the end the choice will come down to what 's more important. Your running, or your desire to complete the program as prescribed. I tend to be less rigid when it comes to following to the letter. If I'm following a program, and the opportunity to say, play a few games of basketball or run an obstacle course comes up, if I can't do both, I'm going with basketball or obstacle course, and hit up the program the next day. (its not going anywhere) :wink:

Test it out. See how it feels running a few days/week in addition to Insanity. I think you'll be able to handle it.
  • Veslus
    Veslus Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Personally, I stopped running for my first round of Insanity. That way my body can get used to the intensity of the workouts.

Once this round is done, I plan on doing a second round that I'll be running every other day on. That way I can get my running back in and know that my body should be better equipped to handle doing both.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity, but I honestly think it may be a lot of work to run and do the workout program. Insanity is already very intense especially during the first few weeks of each month. During the rest week I think running would work, but otherwise it may become time consuming and physically demanding to do both.
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had to decrease the amount of running I did while doing Insanity. For example, in month one, I started out with 3 runs a week, + 1 hike and 6 days insanity - too much. Then decreased to a couple runs a week or 1 run + 1 hike with 6 days insanity. That worked until I hit month 2. I had to decrease to 1 run a week or 1 hike plus 6 days insanity and I am feeling kind of beat up and sore. I am almost finished with insanity now and need a few days of rest. So, it is doable but you may have to adjust as needed.
  • appifanie
    appifanie Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I did P90X one and a half times and I thought I didn't change that much because I didn't lose a ton of weight, but in retrospect looking at pics it made a huge difference for me. Before that I'd been pretty inactive, but I figured even a modified version of anything in P90X was better than sitting on the sofa! It's been a few years and I regained almost everything so I just restarted P90X three days ago.

But basically, just remember:

1. Modified Insanity is better than sitting on your butt
    2. You're at home so it's totally okay if you look like a dork
    3. Take measurements and check in with them!

:)
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, also...and am doing Insanity. In the beginning of the program, I backed off on running considerably. (I was training for marathons prior.) I've now completed Week 3, and I've been incorporating running 2-4 miles after an Insanity workout, whenever I feel like it. (Which has been more frequently, recently) I've definitely noticed an improvement in my endurance, and as someone said previously, after Insanity, running will be a breeze! I'm looking forward to doing some distance running after I've finished Insanity, because I know I've improved my pace/time--everything--I'm just so much stronger--already--and I'm only in the first month. As far as losing weight, I had to quickly go on maintenance, because I was losing weight too quickly with Insanity. (In one week, I loss 2.4 pounds, and, I had just returned from vacation, where I had taken a week off of exercising entirely, except for a few hikes!) Feel free to send me a friend request--I'd love to be a support & motivator to you during your Insanity experience. (I'm not a Beachbody coach.)