Spaghetti Squash

Options
2»

Replies

• guidothecat
    guidothecat Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Shredded-Potato-Salmon-Cakes/Detail.aspx?prop24=RD_RelatedRecipes

I use this one, I bake them instead of fry and substitute the shredded squash for the potatoes. Think like potato cakes, but with squash? You can toss anything that needs to be used up from the fridge in them. I normally make a ton and then freeze them into individual servings for my lunches, top with some spicy horseradish ketchup mixture (or whatever you want?)

It isn't like pasta as others have said, but I will use about half squash and half noodles for spaghetti, pan fry shredded squash until crispy and add as a topping to salads, add into meatloaf, meatballs, etc. It is pretty versatile and good for you.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I love Spaghetti Squash and will never go back to pasta noodles again! I usually make a hearty meat sauce with it (ground chicken or turkey) with mushrooms, onions and green pepper. Sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese and VOILA!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    ONLY like it with spiraled Zucchini noodles
  • rbn_held
    rbn_held Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like it baked with a little salt and pepper and parmesan cheese. I tried it once with spaghetti sauce and hated it.
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    We bake it. Cut in half, scoop out insides, bake then pull out the stringy part. It's hard to describe the taste, not strong, a little sweet with some crunch. It in no way is like pasta except for look but we really like it.

thats what i do and i LOVE it
  • NBeehler
    NBeehler Posts: 24
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!

I stab it a few times with a knife, then microwave it. It depends on how big your squash is... but 5-8 min is usually good.

I love it with any tomato sauce (especially a hearty meat sauce).

My favorite is simply dressed in some olive oil with garlic, parmesean, and sea salt. YUM!!!!

You can also cut in half, scoop out the "guts" then bake it at 350F for 30-35 minutes.
  • dntldiva
    dntldiva Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love it! I agree with the posts about baking it and the texture not being like spaghetti. It is delicious on it's own with a little salt and pepper and butter substitute.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Delicious. My children love it, so does husband.
    Cut in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds. Place in baking dish cut-side down with 1/2inch water, cover the topmost part of the squash lightly with foil. Bake 350 until soft (about 40min?). Allow to cool a bit, then scrape out into a large oven-safe serving dish. Cover with your fav marinara sauce ( I prefer the jarred) and top with some cheese. Bake until bubbly.

What's so awesome is that you're not doubling up on carbs when you serve bread with your meal.
    Tastes particularly good when reheated, so make ahead and refrigerate!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    We bake it. Cut in half, scoop out insides, bake then pull out the stringy part. It's hard to describe the taste, not strong, a little sweet with some crunch. It in no way is like pasta except for look but we really like it.

This ^^^ Do not boil it, mushy it is horrid but al dente, with your favorite pasta sauce it is good. Do not over cook it, I live over 5280 ft. so my convection oven cooks it in about 25-30 mins depending on the size. I also take a pastry brush and brush a VERY light amount of Extra virgin olive oil on the insides, I find it makes it come out in better strands, YMMV.

Also the idea to use zucchini is a good one, you can also sub this in lasagna recipes, use instead of the noodles. Your potato peeler makes nice thin strips of the zuke, very fast. I avoid wheat, not celiac, but it makes my joints stiff when I have too much of it, so it is rarely on my plate.
  • sunshineanstars
    Options
    Bump
  • LindaLou1397
    LindaLou1397 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I cut it in half and put it in a microwave safe bowl with about 1/4 cup water and cook until just tender. We eat it with a little margarine and brown sugar for the hubby and brown sugar substitute for me. We love it. I've never tried it with spaghetti sauce.
  • Geminieve24
    Geminieve24 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    We tried it once, baked it, added Ragu to it, and it tasted horrible.
    We weren't big fans, and went back to whole wheat spaghetti instead

It doesn't taste so great with marinara sauce. Add some olive oil and garlic instead. I like to add chicken, broccoli and sun dried tomatoes...YUM!
  • bigmammajamma76
    Options
    It's terrific and easy to cook. You can just cut it in half and microwave it for several minutes, and add butter, salt, pepper.
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    We cut in half, place it face down put it on a lipped tray and put into the rack and THEN pour the water in just enough to cover the bottom and a little more then bake it at 300 for about 30 minutes. Take out and scoop out the seeds and then with a FORK scraped the sides and it will come out like spaghetti, you can freeze what you don't use. Takes like zucchini and it is great with marinara sauce or use it for you base of a chicken parmigiana It does taste good.

Good luck