TDEE help.... new to this !!

Options
So I keep seeing a lot of threads and peoples status's on here about their TDEE and how its helping them loose weight and its just all so over my head !! I have googled what TDEE is and then did a few website to figure out my TDEE but I am not too sure what this even does. Can someone help ??

this is my info and what websites told me:

27 year old female
255 pounds
height is 5 feet 10 inches
I work at a desk job 40 hours a week
I do 3-4 workouts a week in the evening consisting of HIIT classes, TRX and running

My current calorie count from MFP is 1480 and I have lost about 13 pounds since January but I see people using some sort of TDDE- (numbers like 10, 20, 30) and seem to be loosing a decent amount of weight ! any help would be awesome

A website told me my current TDDE is 3039 ... is that how many calories I am suppose to it ? that is a freaking lot !! another website said 2353 ... Can someone just help me understand this a bit more and help guide me on the right path ?? I know there are lots of threads out there with this type of message, but a lot of them were confusing to me so I decided to post this ! help !

Replies

• LauraBalyk
    LauraBalyk Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have found this out , but which one do you choose ??
    Top numbers are the TDEE's from a few different websites, all with the same info. the number beside the dashes are the calories I should be eating depending on if i do it by 20% or 25% ... how do you decide which number to you

2369 TDEE
    -473 (20%) --- 1896
    -592.25 (25%) --- 1776

2909 TDEE
    581 (20%) ---2328
    727 (25%) --- 2182

2696 TDEE
    539 (20%) --- 2157
    674 (25%) ---2022
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I strongly recommend getting a Fitbit! You wear it all day and it gives you you're daily burn ( TDEE). I LOVE it! Wear it for a few weeks and average it out to get a good idea of your TDEE!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    I second a fitbit, it's actually scary how little my TDEE is on days where I do little.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Really, just use MyFitnessPal's numbers for now.

The whole TDEE thing is best suited for people who are closer to goal.

Set your goals here to "lose two pounds a week." If you have any type of job, or go to school or care for children, DO NOT use Sedentary as your Activity Level here - it is unrealistically low. Looking at your exercise levels, I would use "Active" for your setting.

Then add any exercise (real exercise, not housecleaning or washing your car) and eat the additional calories given to you by exercise.

This site's numbers work awesomely - especially when you are overweight to begin with.

Then take the time to learn about TDEE etc. Worry about it more when you are 20 pounds from your goal, OR if you hit a weight-loss plateau of four weeks.

Keep It Simple.

• LauraBalyk
    Options
    I just got a fit bit zip !! today is my first day wearing it ! so far it shows 1255 already, and it was at 800 this am when i woke up ... im not too sure how to use it yet lol still a learning curb ... not sure how it being on the counter over night gave me 800 calories though lol
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I went to Fitness Frog.
    They have some great calculators for your Bmi and TDEE
    Then I deducted 15% for my calorie goal, it was pretty close to MFP

Good Luck
  • LauraBalyk
    Options
    thanks for the tip, been looking at it, but it just seems way to over my head for now lol