Women- Lose weight while on period?

Options

Replies

• bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I put on 3lb every month, normally it comes straight back off though. I find the massive increase in appetite the hardest thing :( Got to try really hard.
  • candican
    candican Posts: 96
    Options
    I don't get on the scale around the time of month because the scale always shows me being heavier. You basically can still lose fat but show a different weight due to water retention. If you're anything like me, once my period is gone, so does go the water weight so my weight jumps right back where it's supposed to be.
  • theambitiousme
    Options
    In my case, I'm GAINING weight ohmygosh. And I've only started to lose weight!!
    So far, I had a MAJOR plateau at 190. I never lost any weight below that!
    I kept ranging from 190-195 and it was the worst feeling ever!

And now I reached 189, but then my period started to umm flow(?) two days ago!
    And my weight is leaning on 190-191 again!! OH NO!
    I can't imagine what my dietician would say :((

I have been told though that a lot of women gain to almost 4-5 pounds when they're on their period.
    And I'd have to say that in my case, it is. I'M GAINING WEIGHT EVEN THOUGH I'M DOING THE EXACT SAME THINGS I'VE BEEN DOING.
  • sgoldrupdouglas
    sgoldrupdouglas Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am the same way I stop loseing weight during TOM and gain a few lbs but after its over I lose the weight and the weight loss picks back up .
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    The fat still comes off; you just may not see it reflected on the scale.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I am doing it only a month now, but I did loose weight during my period! Was quite a miracle for me because before I always tend to weigh a bit more. I am curious how it will go upcoming week, when I am expecting my second one with the low carb diet.
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I do. It just slows down. Ill have a week or ten days before it starts where my weight loss seems to stop. After its over, I'll have a real sharp drop. I figure that I'm retaining water and losing at the same time, which is why the scale seems to stop. I've learned just to keep an eye on the calendar and not sweat it. I try to watch my sodium intake and resist my need for comfort eating. This is one of the advantages of weighing in every day. Now that I've been doing it for months, I see a definete pattern and I just look forward to that drop when my period is over.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This past week, I weighed myself on Wednesday to see that I had only lost a pound, even though I was working out and eating well. I got my period on Thursday. The following Wednesday, after my period was over for a few days, I had lost three pounds. So I'm discovering that clearly I retain some water during my period, but then it drops once my period is done for the month.

I'm learning so much about my body from this whole process of losing weight/becoming healthier--things I never thought I'd learn! It's all pretty amazing. :-)

Hang in there!
  • karenmckeating
    karenmckeating Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I was losing baby weight I always noticed that with the end of my TOM I always lost a few pounds. As I haven't had a scale up until this week I don't know what its doing now, but I am going to get back on the weighing wagon. On the plus side all my exercise has given me noticable abs and my bum is definitely more toned.
  • Eirene80
    Eirene80 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I lose on my period but gain when I ovulate. Hormones are weird.
  • nichi123
    nichi123 Posts: 244
    Options
    I don't know...I'm kinda the same weight this past week and I've put it down to the red fairy! Lol
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I totally relapse on my period. I'm like filled with an extra 7lbs of water weight and fast food. I am too tired to workout. But this varies from person to person
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I lose on my period but gain when I ovulate. Hormones are weird.

Tell me about it :ohwell:
  • annarotter77
    Options
    I was also wondering about this i just started mine yesterday and had a spike on my scale from bloating. But i figure that if my body is having to work more because its doing its monthly routine then doing a few more workouts and drinking plenty of water/green tea will boost my metabolism thus will enhance my weight loss.
  • katorihanzo
    katorihanzo Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I just searched it because I was curious! It's my TOM currently, and I have lost 2.8 lbs in the past 6 days! Mind you I've been eating well, exercising, drinking lots of water, and honestly my TOM is never so bad that I can't always do these things. I don't know if it's related or if I'm just finally sticking to my goals for more than 3 or 4 days at a time. But I like it!

GOD I'm hoping these pounds stay off! It's miraculous.
  • emjayne92
    emjayne92 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm on at the moment. I tend to gain weight about 3/4lbs, which makes me feel horrible. I exercise during my period feel hard and drink lots of water (a bit too much) which helps the bloating. I don't tend to eat much don't feel like eating during it. I do a lot of yoga, pilates and ab/core exercise to help weight loss.
  • mikailabug
    Options
    I keep gaining a couple oz a day since I started my period and I have been trying really hard to excersize and eat right I had just gotten to my goal that leads to my next goal and then I went up, do you guys think it will come off?
  • ThatCatholicGirl
    ThatCatholicGirl Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I average about a 2lb gain whilst I'm on, but once it's over I lose that and then some. I know to expect this now and as such it doesn't really bother me now :)
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So i usually get really bad cramps the very first day of my TOM, So bad that i have to take midol for any kind of relief.
    Every since i started working out this month's TOM was a breeze! I didn't get any cramps at all and my period seemed to finish faster than the usual days.
  • krw1989
    krw1989 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I still gain about 2-3 pounds of water weight during TOM, but then that plus a little more always comes off a few days after I finish (especially if I continued to eat well during the duration of TOM). I am almost at the very end of mine this month, so I am excited to see if I lost anything this time around. :)