Are these meats lean and healthy or should I stay away?

Options
I love veal and lamb, especially gyro meat. How are those meats compared to chicken and turkey?

Replies

• midmomike2
    Options
    Lamb I know is very comparable to chicken in calories and lean protein.
  • Serowland
    Serowland Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    But gyro meat is very heavy on additives, including fillers (that add calories), fat, and loads of sodium. Lamb it self is lean providing you cut away the fat.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I am not 100% about this but reasonably sure most of this is correct. :wink:

Lamb and veal are lean meats. I believe lamb is leaner and as with all meats the cut you choose can effect the fat content.
    As far as Gyro, it is basically ground lamb (sometimes with beef) and it does have fat added to during the grinding process, similar to how sausage is made. That's why it gets all sizzly while it's spinning. It is not your healthier meat choice :sad:

But the tzatziki is healthy!!!
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've always heard Lamb is Lean and Healthy. Like Serow said just trim the Fat. Sorry But I have No clue what Gyro meat is.
  • Steelytop
    Steelytop Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I, for one, love gyros. It won't be long and I'll be making them here at the house too. We used to have a place downtown called Ted's Greek Corner and it was delicious!!

I just try to keep things in proportion to other things and include as much healthy options as I possibly can. I'd check the sauce though to see how many calories it has. (Maybe the best part) The rest is veggies and pita bread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyros
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tzatziki

I think it's fairly healthy as long as you keep it within your calories. I just try to keep meats as lean as possible. There is always a lean cut of meat if you're so inclined.
  • mikeivb
    mikeivb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Is there such a thing as gyro meat? I know what gyros are but I think the cuts and leaness of the meat can vary. Next time u get one ask for them to use the leanest meat they have
  • gretal
    Options
    Interesting responses. Thanks guys. :flowerforyou: