Arm issues :/

Options
My arms are my main problem area, and I've been toning them up with pilates and light weight-lifting. They are definitely less flabby than they were, which I'm happy about :)

BUT, there's this ugly layer of fat on the back of my upper arms, which stops at my elbow. I'm really self-conscious about it, and hate wearing short sleeves because of it. And in a photo of me and my friends all wearing strapless dresses, this guy commented on it and said that my arms are "so fat". That really hurt.

I'm toning them up, but this layer of fat isn't going.. what can I do? Please help :(

Replies

• shortnsweetbb
    Options
    I am having the same issue, so I would love to know what others have to say!!
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but you can't spot reduce or "tone" certain areas of your body. The best thing you can do it to firm up the underlying muscle underneath the layer of fat. The only way to get rid of that fat is to bring your bf% down to a point where your body starts using the fat from that part of your body.

You might be lucky and the fat might go soon in your weight loss, or you might be unlucky and it could be the last place your body takes the fat from.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    I hate my arms! I've lost over 100 lbs and my arms are still fat/flabby :sad:
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    My upper arms are my least favorite part of my body. They've always been big, and now that I've lost weight, they're big *and* floppy. My husband suggested I talk to my doctor and see what kind of surgical options I have, but, ehhhhhh... surgery? But other than that, I don't think there's any other option, really. It's a combination of lots of fat on my upper arms, and lots of loose skin.
  • tarotlou
    tarotlou Posts: 47
    Options
    This may be of no help but as I am having a shrinking violet wrap tomorrow ( I know what others may say eg water weight ) google it and have a look. I wonder if some sort of contour wrap would benefit x
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Even when I was 108 (I am five foot 2.5 inches tall) I had fat arms. Everything else was rail thin but my arms.. ugh.. hopeless.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Here's what you do....don't let douchbags comment on your photos! And, even if they do, don't let them make you feel bad about yourself! Those type of people, as soon as you solve the problem they think you have, will just find something else to criticize...they need to be fixed way more than you do!

Also, you can't spot reduce fat. Just keep doing what you're doing and it'll eventually come off.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Keep exercising and using your weights and hopefully it will eventually get better. I too hate the flappy bit on the back of my arms but I think it may have improved slightly by adding in a new exercise a couple of months ago where while laying down you start with a dumbell above your head and lift it over your head to your tummy and back again. If I keep my elbows tucked it I can feel it working the muscles on the back of my arm which I feel is pulling the skin a bit tighter. I'm sure it would be more effective if I could lower the dumbell further but I don't have a bench to lay on at the moment.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad new but you can't spot reduce or "tone" certain areas of your body. The best thing you can do it to firm up the underlying muscle underneath the layer of fat. The only way to get rid of that fat is to bring your bf% down to a point where your body starts using the fat from that part of your body.

You might be lucky and the fat might go soon in your weight loss, or you might be unlucky and it could be the last place your body takes the fat from.

This. ^ /end thread

this ^^^ regarding fat loss. You can't spot reduce, but if you continue to lose fat the healthy way, it will come off sooner or later, and to get really nice arms, i.e. better overall shape, keep lifting weights

from personal experience, isolation exercises didn't do much for my arm muscles. However doing Stronglifts 5x5, which includes overhead press, bench press and pendlay rows, my arms and shoulders have shaped up really nicely. My personal recommendation would be for you to do this (or another beginners' weight training programme involving compound lifts) while eating at a moderate calorie deficit for slow fat loss, that way you will slowly be losing the fat, and at the same time firming up and strengthening your muscles. Not just in your arms but everywhere. And your muscles won't get bigger eating at deficit, they'll just get a better and firmer shape. (if you want to make them bigger you need to eat more than you burn off).
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I know this problem all too well. My upper arms are huge and I as well hate wearing short sleeved shirts. My bottom part of my arm is pretty muscular. I am going to keep trying to reduce with strength training but considering the amount of weight I have to lose I may have to consider skin removal.