Muscle to flab

Options
I've been hearing if you're over 40-45 and you start lifting weights it will turn to flab quicker when you stop lifting. Any comments?

Replies

• Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't think that is true, I'm pretty sure the only way you will get "flab" is by gaining weight. Unless I'm misunderstanding you.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Muscle does not convert directly to flab, nor vice versa.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

This.

It sounds like the sort of thing people say as an excuse to not start lifting, which is a shame because it has a lot of health benefits.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sara with a deadlift of 325lbs.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Sarauk2sf

Dav who does some monster workouts
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/DavPul

Both over 40. Do they look flabby?

Anyone that stops with strength training would turn flabby. Doesn't matter what age. You can't just build up a body and think you don't need to maintain it.
  • Fightingforty
    Options
    I've been doing so much dang cardio and not seeing results I want and a personal trainer told me to start lifting. I was talking to a coworker about it and she told me if I ever STOP lifting or even slow it down that all my muscles that had been built up will go soft QUICK. You are right, maybe it was her excuse for not doing it. :smile:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Good news:happy:
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Of course they will. If you stop being active completely (like bed rest for a month) it will happen especially quickly. Just like anything else, it's use it or lose it. If you stop exercising and continue eating the way you do when you are exercising, you'll get flabby too.
  • npruitt99
    npruitt99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think that's most def an excuse. Muscle can be lost, but I've never heard of it converting to flab shortly after lifting. Muscle is always there, it's that layer of fat over the top of it that tends to stand out and look like flab....but that's just my 2 cents!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    SNIP I've seen some 70yr olds rockin' hard bodies in better shape than 20yr olds. It's a lifestyle. One just doesn't quit lifting.

ETA: mis-read this.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Muscle and fat are completely different types of tissue. There is no biological way for muscle to turn in to fat.

What happens when people think their muscle turns to flab is one of two things, or a combination:
    1) They stop using the muscle and lose muscle tone- but the muscle is still there, just not being recruited by your CNS
    2) They gain fat because they don't appropriately adjust calories down when they stop working out.

Both of those things are totally preventable.