Trainer says I need more calories?

Options
Hey guys, I eat approximately 1300-1500kcal a day but my trainer wants me to have more like 1800 kcal a day and way more protein. My goal is to lose approximately 30lbs and tone up for my wedding in a year. He says because i'm working out way more and trying to build muscle i need the nutrients and protein to do this...but it just seems backwards to me to eat more when i'm trying to lose weight? Anyone have any advice or experience with this?
Thanks,
Ali

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    <---- averages 1800 calories everyday and loses weight and fat consistently every week.

Find out your TDEE. Multiply that number by 0.80. That is the number of calories you should shoot for each day. Chances are, since you are exercising regularly, 1800 is closer to right than your lowball current goal.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Gotta ditch the old school thinking. Eat what your body needs to fuel it and you will lose weight. You're clearly not sitting around doing nothing so the fuel you put in will keep it running properly - and that includes losing weight. eat healthy, up your protein and you'll be surprised at how your body will respond. It will take a couple-three weeks to kick in so don't get discouraged when the weight doesn't fall off right away. Your body needs to adjust to being treated properly. Then it will do what it is meant to do.
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I posted about this yesterday. It makes sense to me that we should be eating more (I'm also getting married and trying to shape up) but it's very difficult to get my head around actually doing it. I'm pretty terrified of putting weight back on but I'm giving it a go for a couple of weeks. I've decided nothing too terrible can happen in that time. I'll be over the moon if I still lose weight - I <3 food!!
    Good luck with it all :o)
  • alidavies50
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great advice and encouragement. I guess I'm just nervous. I've already lost 20 pounds since december and i don't want to undo the 'good' that i've done :s
    Any tips about how to get those kcal in? I'm having a hard time without resorting to not so great food...
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I eat approximately 1300-1500kcal a day but my trainer wants me to have more like 1800 kcal a day and way more protein. My goal is to lose approximately 30lbs and tone up for my wedding in a year. He says because i'm working out way more and trying to build muscle i need the nutrients and protein to do this...but it just seems backwards to me to eat more when i'm trying to lose weight? Anyone have any advice or experience with this?
    Thanks,
    Ali
    A trainer that knows what he is talking about? smiley-shocked019.gif

Listen to the trainer. It's not backward.