Anyone go from lazy - fitness freak? Share stories here!!

Options
13»

Replies

• beastmodekittyx
    beastmodekittyx Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Used to sit on my *kitten* 24-7 now I can barely respect my rest days
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Yes, total couch potato munching junk food to fitness monster, run 20 miles on the weekends, feel amazing.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Yes, after my second pregnancy and well after! But once a fitness freak, it's always easy to roll back into it when you're ready. Least for me anyway.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I went from being trapped in my own home barely able to stand let alone try to walk to working out 6 days a week with Sundays off.... So yeah I guess I would say that would be a big yes!! :drinker:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I don't know about "freak", but my level of activity has increased, and so has my level of physical fitness.

2 years ago I spent 90% of my day sitting around, watching TV, crocheting, or reading. I wasn't happy with my weight, and my self image was in the toilet. I knew I could get in shape if I got a gym membership.

So I joined the gym, determined to lose some weight. I busted my butt doing cardio, and a few weeks later I ventured into the weight machine area. Within a few months, the trainer normally on duty took notice of my dedication and started talking to me when I got to the gym in the morning. We got to be friends. After about 8 months I took one of his orientation classes, and he started giving me a few tips here and there...guiding me towards more challenging workouts. In February I paid for a few sessions with him so I could change up my workout a little. To my surprise, I loved working with him! he could convince me to try pretty much anything.

fast forward 6 months....I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week, 90-120 minutes at a time. I've tried every piece of demo equipment they have had in there the last 4 months. I've climbed up to 30 flights of steps in one day as PART of my cardio workout. I've done stuff that makes the muscle guys stare with jaws dropped. I've had gym regulars come up and tell me that my trainer is training me like a man...or come up and ask MY opinion on demo equipment.
  • Jaystuddaz
    Options
    I did as well. I remember reading this line in a book. "You are whatever you think you are."

I used to always think I was the kind of person to work out a bit and fall off course. Once I changed my mind, and became a role model for my nephew, it all changed.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I think I am more ashamed that I was a very active fit person and let myself get lazy and obese not once but twice.

A desk job with long hours and before I knew it I was skipping lunch and eating the vending machine diet.

Add a lot of stress and insomnia and high cortisol levels and the weight piled on again. Add a bad shoulder injury to the mess.

I'm a lot older now and I'm starting off much easier with the exercise.

Not sure if I will end up a fanatic again. We'll see.
  • tdotali
    tdotali Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I grew up in a house where phsical activity was not encouraged and there was a tremendous amount of food. Both my parents are obese. They don't eat a lot of junk food - they just eat alot and don't move.
    I never played any sports and was quite bad at them. My father also owns a fine foods store so there was always soooo much amazing food in my house. I call my parents house the vortex of eating and doing nothing lol

It wasn't until I was diagnosed with high cholesterol at 18 that I started to take action.

Slowly but surely I found ways of eating that worked for me and I found physical activities that I love - mostly aerobics and yoga.

I've seen what inactivity and obesity can do to one's lifestyle. My mother has suffered needlessly for years. My father fortunately hasn't suffered but he is on a crap load of medications to monitor his diabetes, cholesterol and angina.

Growing up I thought I was destined to be like my parents - I have proved myself wrong! :)
  • fierydeluge
    Options
    Had that. I joined a gym on November last year but started going regularly February this year. After that it's just a matter of motivation and consistency .
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP back in February, lost 32 pounds. Went off the wagon for a few months and gained some pounds back. I wouldn't call myself lazy as I was active in work and around the house. For about a month now I am back into the gym and it has become addicting the past couple of weeks. I have my hormone levels and metabolism under control and am finally losing again. What a great feeling!!
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am about to start walking how did you start off, I need to start slow due to knee pain

Not seen pages 2 or 3 yet so maybe already answered, but for me, I went out at night (avoid the abuse of strangers) and knew a good few local walks suitable for me from previous activity and weight loss etc etc somewhere I could lean against a wall or have a sit down and it's a long slow process of baby steps from there but over time you can build up what you can do.

At the start it is a real mental battle not getting too disheartened with what little you think you are doing, if you can get past that, the improvements can come really quick, easily within the first week.

Obviously that is my situation and you may be at a different starting point from me, but that is how i started off.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Me, for sure. I started on the 3rd and my mum thinks I exercise too much now. Lol.