Trying CARB NITE SOLUTION 5'4" F, CW: 144 GW:128, New to mfp

Options
:flowerforyou: Anyone else doing Carb Nite Solution? Friend me, please!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Interestingly enough, this is basically what a lot of bodybuilders do on a two week prep before a show. However, the main dieting took 10-14 weeks previous to doing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kinman23
    kinman23 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 6!!! How's it going for you?
  • Blueteddy88
    Blueteddy88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just started a couple days ago. Today is day 3! I feel really full and love that I get to eat bacon! The only downside is my stomach feels like a hot ball of lead and I've been having some digestive issues. I guess I'm just not used to eating so much fat. But hopefully it will go away in a few days.

I hope things have been going great for you gals!! It's strange that it has ben only 3 days but I feel thinner. I think I may have been too busy to notice myself sooner. I had been on a low calorie diet before, lost 15 lbs, started eating whatever I wanted (darn toothpick bf), then started CNS. My roommate thinks I am crazy but she used to be a starve yourself, cardio 6hrs a day, bone thin model. Way too much work/too little food for me!

Kinman23- looks like your about to have a carb feast tomorrow. Let me know how you feel after : )
  • kinman23
    Options
    I had the same issues as you and around day 5 it got MUCH better!!! On day 10 before our Carb Nite I weighed in...lost 5.5lbs and 5.75 inches!!!!! I can see the muscle coming thru and it's great!! :) My energy level has been different and lifting heavy has been more of a challenge but I'm getting it done. Carb Nite was interesting. Felt full, bloated and just gross. The food I had been craving all that week wasn't really that great. I'm excited tho to see what happens. And I'm realizing what a mind game food is when you "can't" have something and then you can have it all. Learning a lot with this diet for sure.

Good luck to you on this diet!! :) Let me know how it's going for you!!
  • Blueteddy88
    Options
    I had been feeling super nauseous all week and having trouble getting my food down. So I did some searching on the internet and found nothing on carb nite but found a lot of info about keto flu from other low carb sites. They recommended that you drink a lot of water (which I had been doing already) and drink gatorade. I bought some powerade zero and it made me feel so much better. But I got on my scale this morning and I had gained 3 pounds. It's probably all water but I'm worried that I may have messed myself up. Although I mostly feel as tired as before so maybe not?

I feel so confused sometimes about what is supposed to happen. I wish there was more info in his book. Trial and error I guess. Figuring out what I should do is the hardest part. That and listen to my roommate tell me how unhealthy I am being every day (as she snags some of my bacon).

I am looking forward to carb nite mostly because it is the day of my last exam and I am pretty excited for school to be over. I have been trying to figure out what to eat and it just turns my tummy. That's a first! At least I have that.
  • kinman23
    Options
    Keifer has a lot of info online as well. He posts lots of videos and blogs. You can look on there. Are you following the meal plan? Are you staying under 30g carbs? Taking vitamins and fiber daily? Yes you should be drinking LOTS of water. Also be careful what kind of fiber. Psyllum fiber will make you bloated. Get a Dextrin fiber or Keifer recommended Organic Triple Fiber. Are you working out?
  • Blueteddy88
    Options
    I don't like the meals in the book. Personally I think the book was kinda worthless. It was an interesting read for the scientist in me but other than that I usually find the internet to be more helpful. Maybe I am just too used to diet books telling you exactly what to do. I have read/watched a lot of things Kiefer has posted. Basically I have just been following the under 30g carbs and have stayed under 20 all week. I take a multi-vitamin and fish oil, but not fiber. I actually have had the opposite problem for the first 4 days and I was waiting until things got back to normal. I worked out for the first 3 days (HIIT, upper body, lower body each for 1 day) and by the third day I was really struggling to finish. I felt completely drained. I decided to stop for the rest of the week because I need to study for finals and I thought that I already felt like hell so I must be okay. I am going to set-up a work-out plan after my carb nite this week.

I think the problem was that I was drinking a ton of water and I managed to get some of it to stay in my body instead of running right through me. Which actually was intentional and came from the powerade and putting salt on my food (which I never did before). I just was trying to get more fluids to stay in my body. I could feel my heart beat like crazy after standing up and walking across the room and I got really dizzy just standing. I am a medical student so I know how the body works it's just annoying to see the scale go up. Although I had bought a shirt in the mail recently in a size smaller than the ones I own and I got it Saturday. I didn't want to put it on because I was afraid it wouldn't fit. But I thought that it would either make me really happy this morning or crush my soul and I said screw it and put it on. And it looks amazing! I don't know if it's in my head but I feel better when I'm not dead tired. I haven't drank any powerade today and am going to see how I feel tomorrow. But honestly I was dry heaving yesterday morning and after sipping it a bit for 20 min I felt a lot better so I guess I should ask myself if I want slower results but not feel like I'm dying or just tough it out. I was just worried that I might have kicked myself out of ketosis but my body feels the same as it has all week except that I am no longer nauseous.

I don't know if I am just a whimp or what. No one else has been talking about the same symptoms online. That's what I think bothers me the most. Sorry to post so much. My mood swings have also been all over the place. Just waiting for things to normalize.

BTW where do you aim for your fat:protein ratio? I have seen a lot of people debate what works best and I guess it's an individualized thing. I have been trying to get more fat in but I at least get 0.5g fat:1g protein. It has been a bit challenging because I have been eating what proteins were already in my fridge and they are all pretty lean. I just add bacon or butter to everything. I have to tell my mind to be quiet because it doesn't like how fast the stick of butter disappears. I can't remember the last time I had real butter in my fridge...
  • isabellamich
    Options
    I'm curious as to how you two have been doing with this diet. Personally, I love that he is Physicist and not only well educated but took the time to comb through thousands of studies. Being in the healthcare community myself, I learned that studies and information from well educated people are where I want to get my information from.

I read his book and everything made sense as I do understand the body mechanics of insulin and glucose. I researched the internet to find people that have actually tried this for a long time and could only find a couple. I tried it for a few weeks and did really well, however, for me personally the "carb nite" triggers some crazy addictions that after a day or two later I could not qwell. I think I could have just kept up the low carb routine and would have been fine, which I've done in the past, however, I obviously need to have more control. I am going to give it a go again and see.
  • anniejosey
    anniejosey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey. I am looking for carb nite friends! I have had a few false starts but had my second carb nite last Friday. Are you guys eating your goal weight in protein and .5-1 of goal weight in fat? I found that info on the athleteio blog and upping the fat helped me with lack of energy a lot.
  • bee0818
    bee0818 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Carb Nite for about 2 months now and have had great results. If you need help or have any questions feel free to contact me.
  • jj789
    jj789 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey AnnieJosey,

I'm curious to see how the Carb Nite Solution has been going for you this last month. I just started as well. I feel like I get even better weight loss when I have at least a 1:1 fat to protein ratio. For instance, the other day I ate 120 grams of fat and about 90 grams of protein with about 20 net carbs. I lost almost 2 lbs the next day. (I'm 5'4" and 178 lbs - aiming for 140).

And for those of you dealing with upset stomachs, it does get better. I know fat can really disrupt your stomach at the beginning. Maybe try including a probiotic into your daily supplements. It has helped me a lot.