are these reasonable/realistic goals?

Options
I have 75 more pounds to lose, I'm down 14 in 3 weeks but that was due to a different weight-loss regime (the Dukan Diet) for those first 2.5 weeks. I stopped that a few days ago and am still putting a high amount of protein in but have added some carbs (yogurts, fruits, whole-grain bread).

Just four days ago I decided to start logging on MFP and I am doing well with my setup I believe but have not seen any change. I suppose 4 days is too early to see a change.

So here are my stats:
1200 calories
Carbs 120 (40%)
Fat 27 (20%)
Protein 120 (40%)
Sodium 2500

I will be doing cardio (dancing) for about 30 minutes on at least 5 days a week.

Does this sound reasonable to get some weight loss started?

Replies

• summergirl212
    summergirl212 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    If you are eating the calories you earn from exercise (so that you are eating a net 1200 not strictly 1200) then I think you will be okay. If not, 1200 might be too limiting considering the cardio that you will be doing 5 days a week. I don't know the exact percentages but the high protein should keep you pretty full.

Good job so far and good luck in the upcoming weeks/months! :]
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to add strength training 2 times a week to keep the lean body mass you have otherwise you will lose it along with the fat.
  • khunt611
    khunt611 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    You need to add strength training 2 times a week to keep the lean body mass you have otherwise you will lose it along with the fat.

I have "EA Active 2" for the Wii that has a resistance band for some of the activities..... sufficient to do this a few times a week I think to get some weight/strength training in?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more.
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    eat more I eat average ot 2000 calories a day some thimes 3000 on zumba days and still lose weight when I ate calories that low my weight loss stuck. your body needs that many calories just to do daily functions like breath
  • khunt611
    Options
    You need to eat more.

Please expand? Same percentages but higher calories?
  • khunt611
    Options
    eat more I eat average ot 2000 calories a day some thimes 3000 on zumba days and still lose weight when I ate calories that low my weight loss stuck. your body needs that many calories just to do daily functions like breath

So if I roughly calculated that i need 2300 calories "just to be" if I reduce it by 500 to say 1800 I might start to see an improvement?
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It seems unreasonable to me...can you really do cardio 5x a week/
  • khunt611
    Options
    It seems unreasonable to me...can you really do cardio 5x a week/

For 20-30 minutes, each day, yes. Walking and dancing is considered cardio, no?
  • ShortInSeattle
    Options
    They look very reasonable to me. I find a calorie "range" is more realistic than a fixed 1200. Why not try 1200-1400, then let your energy level guide you?

Your ratios look great. Try to alway pair carbohydrate with a protein source to minimize hunger.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    So if I roughly calculated that i need 2300 calories "just to be" if I reduce it by 500 to say 1800 I might start to see an improvement?

Yes. But remember to eat your exercise calories too if you're using the MFP method. So if you burn 200 calories doing wii zumba or whatever, eat 1800+200. You'll still have your 500 deficit.

Good luck.
  • khunt611
    Options
    I'm still not sure about the "eat more" thing. I've checked about a half-dozen websites, input my body stats and goal and they all have come back to say "to lose 1-2 pounds per week you need to eat (about) 1200-1400/calories per day" That's NOT much different than the 1200 I set already.

So now I'm really confused.......
  • lovebig30
    lovebig30 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    1200 to 1400 if you do nothing all day but if you work out you need to add those calories in to the total or you will have a net calorie that is very low.