Ate Fried Food and Feel Guilty

Options

Replies

• goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with fried foods? If a food is fried in coconut oil or some other good oil, it's good. If it's fried in a GMO oil, it's not good. But people need fat to lose fat. I eat about 33% fat and end out eating fewer calories because I'm not hungry. Don't be scared of fat. And forget the guilt. That emotion is one that will destroy you.
  • RachyLovesRattys
    RachyLovesRattys Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I just returned from a vacation where all of my healthy friends and I said "screw it" and wanted to enjoy ourselves. We ate fried White Castle burgers, fried ice cream and waffles, fried candy bars, fried cannolis, fried mac and cheese....corn dogs....DAMN I mean if it could be fried we probably ate it. And we've all just returned...I gained barely a pound (and I ate this wretched diet for a whole week)....it's not the end of the world. We drank like pirates and ate whatever we wanted. A DIET is supposed to be your life, and unless you have a painfully boring life, there are going to be times you go out with friends and have to make exceptions to what you normally eat/drink. If you're healthy all the time, it's a worthy treat. Don't stress about it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much!

Yes, the slider was amazing, but MAN is it killing me today. I body feels like I ate poison.

Is it possible you're just sore/tired/worn out from the all-day concert the day before?

I know that when I'm at an all-day concert...(Pointfest 1, 2, and 4, for examples)...I feel like I've been hit by a bus the next day.

Whoa...I just realized that these concerts were almost 20 years ago.

:indifferent:

<--- feeling old. Going to go lie down for a nap now.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    If your under your calorie limit for the day, who cares. Don't label food as bad, if you can fit it in, eat it!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?

I'm relatively certain that it isn't just fantasy...
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Not a FRIED chicken slider! The inhumanity of it! Seriously if this is real it is ridiculous, I hate to sound mean, but come on its one day of going over and you make it sound like you ate 3000 calories. If there are people who really fret about little things like this it is really sad, like I actually really feel bad for them.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?

Too bad.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I was over my calories by a 1,000 because I had pizza , I don't feel guity at all but maybe that's because I have been in mfp for a while now.

I calculated that I only ate 300 calories over maintenance and that' around .08 pounds , I don't even think my scale calculates that gain. Plus all of my week I was eating at a deficit greater than 300 calories.

You will learn that one day of going over your caloric goal is not a big deal and is hard to undo the progress of an entire week.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You don't sound like you have a healthy relationship with food.

People have been eating fried food for generations. If you don't like it, then don't consume it, but it is not poison. Like any other food, there is an amount you can eat and enjoy and then there is an amount that is overdoing it. As for alcohol, it depends on whether the individual can consume it in moderation or not.

I enjoy both, in moderation.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    You'll be just fine! It could have been a lot worse and since you were at an outdoor concert you probably burned some calories anyway.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Is this for real?

Don't get caught in the landslide!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Well if you want to be a "clean eater" then you fail. But by all normal metrics there is nothing to be guilty about.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Food shouldn't make you feel guilty. That's an issue right there in and of itself. You need to develop a better relationship with food; there is no such thing as good or bad food...just food. Yes, certain foods are more nutrient dense than others but it's all fuel. Nothing inherently wrong with fried chicken...that's some good protein right there and so long as you're not stuffing yourself with deep fried goodies on a daily basis, it's really not a big deal.

Also, over on your calorie goal...again...so what. My guess is you're on a rather unrealistic 1200 calorie plan to begin with...keep in mind that your calorie goal has a massive deficit from maintenance built in....like 800 to 1000 calories if you're doing 1200 calories. Going over by a couple hundred isn't a biggie.

Just calm down.

This, completely this.

If you keep this up, you're heading for a slippery slope to orthorexia.

My thoughts exactly!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP, consider counseling. Your rant revealing your panic over one meal is worrisome. As others have said, you don't sound like you have a good relationship with food and could possibly indicate disordered eating.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    This post is exactly why we should include all kinds of food in our daily diet in moderation. It ensures healthy relationship with food. When you go on a all "Clean" diet and restrict yourself too much, this feeling comes into picture. Food is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy it whenever you can and burn it off :)
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This post is exactly why we should include all kinds of food in our daily diet in moderation. It ensures healthy relationship with food. When you go on a all "Clean" diet and restrict yourself too much, this feeling comes into picture. Food is meant to be enjoyed, so enjoy it whenever you can and burn it off :)

Love this^
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I just got back from the Indiana State Fair. My lunch ended up being 2 fried Oreo and 1 fried cookie dough. Not exactly healthy, but it was soooo good. I would say I would do an extra workout tomorrow, but reality is I'm flying to New Orleans first thing in the morning for a week for work. NOLA is not exactly known for healthy food either, so that will be another challenge. I'm not stressing over the situation.

My goal in this journey is not to eliminate foods and have every single meal planned out for the rest of my life. I might as well live in a bubble. Nope, my goal is to learn how to control portion sizes, eat more fruits and vegetables, leaner meat and doing some sort of exercise the majority of the time. If I know I'm doing things right most of the time, then I can enjoy the unexpected things like Fried Oreos or go on a business trip with not great food or exercise choices.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I like White Castle once a year to clean my pipes :glasses:
  • kasey0125
    Options
    Just think of it as being a cheat day