• escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    What is a legume based meal?
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    What is a legume based meal?

Basically beans... or peas... or peanuts...
    (technically, alfalfa, clover, peas, beans, lentils, lupins, mesquite, carob, soybeans, peanuts, tamarind... I have no idea what lupins are I"m gonna hafta google that.)
  • ColinJacksonMusic
    Options
    Unfortunately, Auntiebabs, this would not work for me - I am allergic to chlorophyll so can't eat any green vegetables or salads!
  • escape31
    escape31 Posts: 28
    Options
    Oh great that means on somewhat of the right track doing the bean thing for a meal. I enjoy my beans especially when its winter and I can get frozen fava beans. I love fava beans frozen more then fresh yet when I buy them fresh and try to freeze them. I can't seem to get right. So the brand name I use only comes during the winter! So excited, have you tried fava beans do you want my recipe it so you could love it as much as me! lol
  • JskC1893
    JskC1893 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I don't hate veggies, but I don't crave them generally either (unless they are butter coated, which I wont eat but would love too).

Recently found out that most vitamins are fat soluble... So you should add a little fat to your veg so that you can access their nutrition. If you have cholesterol issues you may want to use Olive Oil, rather than butter, but if you don't go for it! YUM

:D I use coconut oil, but nothing is as delicious as butter. I can't have the dairy. I'm definitely not afraid of fats :D
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Thanks JskC1893, I love salad too but the dressing makes me feel so guilty even if I make the dressing myself.

Something that I've learned along the way is that if you aren't going to make your own homemade dressing (which you can totally do, theres a million good recipes online), is to look for dressings that have sugar as the 5th or further ingredient down on the list. And measure it, no need to feel guilty. Fats can be good, you don't need to completely stay away from them :)

Or maybe try using just citrus if you don't think you can fit a dressing into your calories for the day, like some lemon or orange zest + juice!!
  • JskC1893
    Options
    Unfortunately, Auntiebabs, this would not work for me - I am allergic to chlorophyll so can't eat any green vegetables or salads!

What an interesting allergy!! That must be difficult at times.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    one of the best things I did for myself was to focus on what i SHOULD eat, not what I shouldn't .

You don't have to be perfect you just have to do better... whereever you are, pick 3 new things until they become habit then add one or two until they become habit and keep going with small sustainable changes.

EVERYDAY:
    a green salad,
    a green veg,
    some other type of veg, (Yellow: carrots, sweet potatoes, White: eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes, Red: beets... etc.)
    some berries,
    a piece of fruit,
    a small handful of nuts and

TWICE A WEEK:
    A legume based meal
    A fish based meal (I know not a veg)

ONCE A WEEK:
    A mushroom based meal.

All nutrient dense options, which will reduce cravings...

GOOD LUCK

Great list.

Your everyday list is similar to mine. Expect I make it 5-6 times a week.

I might try your twice/once a week items. Currently I eat fish 1-2 times a week. I'm not really a bean fan so making a legume based meal twice a week might be a challenge, maybe I will start off with just once a week.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

:cry:
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Check out the "healthy eating plate" at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/

I aim toward 4-6 servings of vegetables a day and limit to 1-2 servings of fruit. It's a good goal. It's pretty easy to incorporate the vegetables in lots of things as well as to snack on them.

I always have baby carrots in the fridge to grab for a 35 cal. snack. They also transport well in your purse or book bag. See how many veg you can incorporate into things you cook. For example, ground turkey can be really dry but not of you grind up vegetables in it before you cook it. A meatloaf with half a bag of spinach in it doesn't taste like spinach, it's just moister. Layer lots of veggies in a lasagna. We had cheese quesadillas the other night but hidden inside was a serving of spinach and a serving of red pepper. The spinach was creamed and the red pepper was roasted.

Cucumber and dill are great in yogurt. Freshly made cole slaw is a great snack. Roast some beets and eat them cold as a tasty, sweet treat. Make pasta prima vera with more veggies than pasta. There's no limit to the amount of veggies you can put in an omelet. Stir-fry with lots of veggies and a little bit of meat.

After awhile you will get used to incorporating lots of vegetables in your diet and you'll feel better for it.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    For me...Typically 2-3 servings of veggies...3-7 servings of fruit.