Do you take Fish Oil/Vitamin D?

Options
My friend told me that she attended a seminar through work and a physician was speaking about the benefits of taking fish oil and a high dose (5000iu) of Vit D daily to help with depression, anxiety, prevent some cancers, help with bone density, and increase your energy. Do any of you take one or both of these pills? Have you noticed any changes (especially with energy)?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes,I take fish oil and also vitamin D as recommended by my doctor.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: yes i take flax seed oil same thing but not as good as your fish oil:huh: i take my to ward of a hart attack . im 100 pounds over weight so i need something untill i start loseing weight and eating healthy i get enough sunshine i dont know if i need vitiamin d
  • redkimono
    Options
    I take both Omega 3 and Vitamin D, and both of them help my cholesterol and give me energy. Most people have a Vit D deficiency, and anyone with high cholesterol could benefit from Omega 3. Generally I feel less depressed, less tired and have more energy. I would recommend taking both!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I take 5000 of Fish Oil every day. Will check out the Vit D - hadn't heard of that one. But, I also take Bee Pollen (if you are allergic to bees, you are most likely allergic to Bee Pollen so be careful)!

I started with Fish Oil. I did okay, but after I started taking the Bee Pollen, I started to feel lots & lots better. I used to be on effexor (antidepressent) - it was absolute hell to get off of.
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tag
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely without fail...everyday I take 2000mg of vitamin D3 and 2000mg of omega 3. with a meal. Several months ago I was in really bad shape...I was totally exhausted , burning in my extremities , severe irregular heart palpitations. episode of fainting. .etc etc. long story short I had a severe Vitamin D deficiency. My Dr put me on a high dose of vit d..10,000units(prescription strenght) 3 X a week for eight weeks.. now OTC 2000 MG of vit D3. Make sure you take the D3 because your body absorbs it better than regular Vit D. As far as I'm concerned Vitamin D3 is a miracle drug. Because it has made a world of difference in how I feel!!
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I take D in the winter months because I get a lot less sunshine :)
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    vitamin D here and yes it definitely helps with mood but I go with the amount my Doctor Recommended and not an overly high dose. The only time it gets upped is during winter.
  • PJRiner
    Options
    YES WITHOUT FAIL! Feel so much better!
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Multi, D3 and B complex daily. Haven't noticed a jump in energy. I usually take them at night since the multi tends to cause stomach upset and heartburn... easier to sleep thru it.
  • 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    I take D in the winter months because I get a lot less sunshine :)
  • LuckySue333
    Options
    I take 2400 mg of fish oil every day and 600 Vit D . Dr told me to take both. I guess it gives me energy I feel pretty good most of the time.. But have my days I don't feel to good sometimes...
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Along with B12 w/folic acid and Calcium. Certain medications will block these vitamins from being absorbed so I take them every day along with my normal supplements. I find that taking the liquid ones work best for me. Not so good tasting but one does what one has to do, Yes?

Since my doctor informed about the lack of %'s in my blood work last year I started. This years test was, as my doctor put it, perfect!
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    2,000 of fish oil omg3 per day and a multivitamin that includes D. I've seen an improvement in my skin overall since starting the fish oil.

Not all brands are equal. The Aldi/Welby brand gives me indigestion if I don't take it with food. I didn't have that problem with the brand I was using before.

*lol* Editing my post. I was gonna say, I've read articles about the dangers of fish oil and mercury, but this New York Times article says otherwise. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/health/24real.html?_r=1 So I guess any fish oil you buy off the shelf is pretty safe.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I had a vitamin D deficiency earlier this year so my doc prescribed me 50,000iu of Vitamin D once/week for the first 2 months and then once/month after that.
    I haven't noticed much of a difference that I can relate directly to the vitamin D, but I do know that due to a clean diet, plus the vit D, I have no more issues with it and my strength has increased incredibly.
    I also take fish oil 3x/day. That has helped my cholesterol (again in conjunction with a clean diet) go down almost 50 points in 3 months.