Question about Zumba

Options
How do you calulate calories for Zumba? I am thinking dance (general) but would love to hear what other people do!!!!

Replies

• amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I do dancing general too. Tho sometimes I feel its a little low. But what matters is that you burned it!!
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I would do dancing general too...

But I don't currently do Zumba, but I am VERY interested in trying it! I was wondering do you like it? I am 273lb so I am a little afraid of being out of place?
  • suzannexxx
    suzannexxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i put in low impact aerobics for it
  • amcmillan730
    amcmillan730 Posts: 591 Member
    Options

But I don't currently do Zumba, but I am VERY interested in trying it! I was wondering do you like it? I am 273lb so I am a little afraid of being out of place?

At 240 lbs and 5'10" I am one of the tallest heaviest people in the class.... but u know what? it doesn't matter. It's just fun. And great exercise. Go for it!!
  • authentic1
    authentic1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    dance is a good choice. there are also ranges posted on the internet if you Google it, but I think they're over-estimating. If you're looking at a range, though, and you happen to be on the heavy side, you can choose the higher end of the range because frankly, it takes a lot more work for a heavy person to move their body around than a light person. The less weight we carry the less work it is to move and the less calories are burned. So tiny little chihuahua people have to work much harder to burn the same amount of calories a heavier person does.
    Look for your ranges and as long as you're working hard enough to generate heat and are breathing hard, we should pick the level that goes with our size.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options

Totally go for it. I am a big girl and rocked the class. Its all about having fun. I love it. I was skeptical at first thinking I would be the only big girl in the class but there were actually a couple of heavier women in there. I look forward to the class every week!
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry, the times I have been there have been people of all sizes/ages/fitness levels/dancing abilities. The key is not to take your self too serously and just let yourself go with it. Its so much fun!! and the music is so upbeat.

give it a go! Whats the worst that could happen?

: )
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies, I have been eying the classes for about a month now, and they coordinate well with my training sessions..

I did record a Zumba class OnDemand yesterday well I was at work and thought I would give that a try first and see how I like it.
  • KPaden1221
    Options
    i do zumba atleast 4 times a week at 308 and 5'4"!! I love it.. but the first time I went and used a HRM i burned like almost 1000 calories.. so I do it as Aerobic High Impact and my class if 45 min and i assume around 700-800 calories... Sometimes more when we do the 20 min kick and tone or floor abs or wrist weights or whatever extra we do on top of the 45 min of Zumba..
  • christidolan
    Options
    I actually wear my Polar during the class. I will manually enter in Zumba and document the amount of calories I burned. I've burned anywhere from 650-800 calories in an hour of Zumba!
  • rachael510
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about being outta place, you can go to www.Zumbafitness.com and order the fitness set for $60. I am a mom of 4 and the fifth is 3 months from being born. I ordered my set and did it today, just the basic and I was sweating like a pig. If you are worried about doing it in class grab a friend order the dvd's and have a party in your home with it. You get oodles of energy, and burn the fat, and you actually feel it from the very start.