Does anyone here have anxiety?

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I DO!

I take Xanax... it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss at all. good luck!

im supposed to take Lexapro, but like many crazy people, I know best, and I took myself off about a year ago... so, now I control my craziness with Xanax alone... :)
  • DeeBrownBaker
    Options
    I had an anxiety attack that put me in the hospital overnight... doc put me on cymbalta... um... my weight loss stalled... until I stopped taking it due to an allergy to the meds... (made me cough and sneeze)... lost a few since being off... but I think I have gotta find something else...I highly recommend doing SOMETHING...
  • ssm_1972
    ssm_1972 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I do have anxiety, diagnosed just 2-3 months back.......thanks to Stress :((
    Trying to overcome naturally by changing my lifestyle, and meditation !
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I have had anxiety for about ten years, give or take.
    It really does blow, but it is something that we have to live with. I would recommend going to see a doctor for help, but not a medical doctor, someone that deals with this (psychologist I think? I always get them mixed up) and they have different kinds of medication that they can put you on. I have Xanax, I have not gained weight from it... But each person is different.
  • Tdk4685
    Tdk4685 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I went to my Dr for anxiety a few years back and their answer was pills. Celexa and Xanex. I didn't want to be loaded up with pills and a friend suggested I try acupuncture. I went to an acupuncture Dr and he said he could help the anxiety so I started going regularly and I must say it helped a great deal. After my treatments I can say my anxiety issues are gone. The only down side is the cost of the treatments, but in my case I think it was worth it. Just a suggestion to try.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I had that before. If you don't want to take meds, you could try something more natural. I took st john's wort extract. It's an herb, and is not addictive. It takes a few weeks to build support your body's ability to normalize, but you'll feel pretty normal within 4-6 weeks. It takes several months to heal your imbalance. I found that I could taper off my dosage after 3 months of taking it. You can keep a bottle on hand in case you feel you still need support.
    A nice side benefit is that you will sleep better after taking the herb, which helps weight loss IMO.
    Here's a link, if you want to read about the herb. Best wishes!
    http://www.enetmd.com/content/treat-anxiety-and-depression-hypericum-st-johns-wort

My understanding is that it does interact with some meds, so you should be aware of that. I never take meds.
  • mspoopoo
    mspoopoo Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've had GAD for many years.

I took zoloft for a decade. I gained 60lbs. I went off of it when I started having hand tremors.

I tried going back on it again a few years later. Couldn't tolerate it at all. Made me very manic.

I take a xanax as needed every so often.

I do meditation, CBT, and it seems to help.
  • celadontea
    celadontea Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety and depression. Last year I was on medication for it which caused me to gain over 30 lbs in 2 months. Currently I'm not on any medications due to the weight gain and other side effects. I am in psychotherapy for the past 2 months and despite the cost it is helping a lot. I just got back from a concert where I didn't cry or have an anxiety attack. There are some days where I still feel it a lot, but this has surprised even me. I'm not sure if the depression will ever go away, but my treatment is far from over. I just want to let you know that it can get to a much better place than where it is at.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I have social and generalized anxiety, it sucks doesnt it? My problem is i should take meds but I dont because I am a dumbass. Anyway when I took them no, they didnt affect my weight loss efforts.

lol
  • danholden4006
    danholden4006 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've been on Celexa for about 3 years, and it did not hinder my weight loss efforts at all. Part of the problem with anti-depressants putting weight on people may be that it makes them feel a bit more relaxed, therefore they might be hungrier or feel like indulging more.

When I am depressed or anxious, I will actually forget to eat, or just not feel like eating. When I started Celexa, I put on an extra 20 pounds because I ate more. It wasn't because of the drug essentially, but because I was eating at a surplus. That's mainly why some people put on weight when starting the medication.

When I started tracking my intake, the weight fell off.

The best thing you can do is be mindful of your intake and make sure to log your food, to ensure that you are not overeating.

^^This. Plus I've been on Fluoxetine (the generic form of Prozac) for several years and it's never contributed to my weight gain. Most of the gain was from me being an idiot and eating as a form of coping. Tracking with MFP has helped a lot.

Plus your doctor should know the side effects of the drugs they prescribe and if they don't, they better find out. I make my doctor do that before I leave the office. One, I like to know what it is I'm taking and Two, they can't remember everything. So you might find out by making them look that it reacts with another drug your taking or what not. They are getting paid more then I will ever make. Get your answers before you leave.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    vitamn D helps.. fish oil and EXERCISE!!!!.... stress and anxiety relief with exercise...wears out your body and mind somewhat but gives you endorphine and happy highs =)
    i call it the 'God given antidepressant!
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    Options
    I've had Anxiety since I was a Kid. Suffered with mammoth Panic attacks. Occasionally still do.

Ive never taken meds (probably should have) Been through some really dark patches, contimplating suicide in the past, but have managed to work through it.

Ive always delt with the problem alone.

When i was younger, it was delt with as a sign of weakness, so through that, i hardened up. Probably too much.

Problem now is, when i feel the anxiety picking up, or the Panic setting in, i now deal with it in anger. It was the only way i was able to control it.

Probably really should have it seen to, but its been so long now, i guess im used to it....like its normal.. :/
  • bigred503
    Options
    hulled pumpkin seeds. 1.5 ounces has 75% of your daily magnesium which is proven to reduce anxiety. you can do the research if you like but having lived my whole life an anxious, believe me when i tell you that it has made all the difference. i eat it every day. of course you can take pills, or you can try natural remedies. just a suggestion.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I used to have all kinds of meds, in the end I was 30 kilos heavier and I have sworn never again! + it took me months to get off the oxazepam! I stopped using pills, determine to face my problem instead of running away from it any longer. Meds don't solve your problem, they only supress it and sooner or later you have to deal with it anyway. What helped me getting over my panic attacks was quiting drinking alcohol and cafeinne, selfhypnosis, breathing exercises and when I felt one coming up I told myself: "Okay I'm ready for it! Let it come!" and gone it was. The first time might be bad, the second time it is somewhat less, etc etc...
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    You don't *need* to go on meds if it's causing you that much stress. Using talking therapy to get to the root of your anxiety and coping strategies to deal with it will (in my experience) be much more effective with no side effects.
  • Fafern
    Fafern Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Psychiatrists are the ones with medical training who can prescribe medication. Psychologists often provide "talk therapy" and other coping skills. Very easy to mix them up. They often work together as a team with one monitoring the drugs while the other handles therapy sessions.

My favorite "self-help" book is called "The Heal Your Anxiety Workbook" by John Arden. I like the chapter on changing your diet to avoid triggers for anxiety (such as foods or drinks with a lot of sugar, caffeine, alcohol, and/or salt), plus recommendations on what to add to your diet to fight anxiety (includes Omega-3 fatty acids, B vitamins, C vitamins, calcium, magnesium and potassium). "Good" foods include fresh fruits and veggies (not canned due to salt content), whole wheat, milk, yogurt, peanuts, tofu, beef, fish, chicken, etc. I've managed to cut out most caffeine and started taking vitamins, but I still struggle with sugar and salt.

Another section of the book that works for me are breathing exercises, especially if I feel an anxiety attack coming on. My favorite exercise is slowly breathing in, hold your breath for a moment (5-10 seconds is my preference), then slowly exhale as much air as you can. Repeat several times. Slowing your breathing helps to calm your body and mind down so you can relax. If I feel my heart pounding or racing due to anxiety, I know it's time to focus on my breathing.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Short answer yes most anxiety medicine generally will cause weight gain, don't ask me to back it up with links or scientific references just what I have observed in myself and others.

I had my first panic attack around 10 yrs ago and suffered from a lot of subsequent attacks and anxiety for years to follow.

Took medication...all the usual suspects Valium, Xanax,antidepressants etc

Best thing for ME was better nutrition, exercise, sex, yoga, breathing and visualization techniques.

Also support from friends and family and keeping busy but not overwhelmed.
  • caitlynandrulis
    Options
    i have severe anxiety that attributes and triggers my eating disorder which is bulimia. my best friend's husband is a orthopedic surgeon as well as a very well trained nutrition guru and he suggested a natural supplement called "neuro chill" . completely legal and works better than Valerian which i have taken now for a few years. the company that makes it is called "mind nutrition" i highly recommend looking into it. it works quickly like xanax which i took for 8 years and now live over seas and it's not readily available and i started taking neuro chill in place of it and it works identically only non addictive and not a crash with more anxiety.
  • beckster1001
    beckster1001 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have suffered with anxiety/panic disorder for about 10yrs, I sought medical help which all they would offer me was medication but I am one of these people where I don't like to rely on medication and I fear I will become reliant on them, so I decided to just plod on with all the attacks until it got severe and I was only sleeping for a max of 2hrs a night, making myself physically sick etc etc so I searched online and come across breathing and relaxation techniques which has really helped me over the years to try keep the panic at bay, I've also found that my "calming mechanism" is to shake my foot!! Why? I don't know!! But that works for me, and when that tight nervous knot starts to build and then you get then flutter feeling just before it tips over the edge I take a deep breathe and slowly exhale it, and I also sing/hum to myself, so I expect I look like a right idiot but... I don't care I'd rather that than an attack. I hope you manage to control it :-) or lesson the attacks.
  • Celuwen
    Celuwen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yes, they can increase your appetite and depending on the drug they might have an impact your metabolism. I've found I can lose weight on them if I stick to my calorie goals, it's slightly harder, but not impossibly so. The hunger is often more pronounced on certain drugs.

If you're reluctant to take medication, a course of CBT is often very useful for anxiety. (Panic attacks, if you have them, may need a slightly (or totally) different approach to any anxiety management you receive.) CBT is useful because it can help tackle the root of the problem without having to examine the nitty gritty of it. It's more logic/strategy based which some people might find easier/more useful.

One step you can take in the meantime is to start doing breathing exercises. There are lots of examples on the net, but at first just simply concentrating on your breathing and forcing yourself to breathe more slowly can help mitigate an anxiety attack. Once you get better at it, you may be able to thwart a panic attack, or at least ease the intensity of one.

Good luck with it all, OP. :)