I have no motivation to stop smokimg.

Options
1234568»

Replies

• alexadevyn
    Options
    I had no motivator to quit either. I knew everything that everyone is mentioning ... so do you. The only thing I knew, more than anything, was that I already knew the reasons that should be motivating. I needed to quit because I wanted to be a role model for my children, because I want to be here to play with my grandchildren, because it is smelly, unattractive, and expensive. While these things did not 'MOTIVATE' me to quit they were quality reasons to quit - regardless if I wanted to. Who cares what you want? Everyone who loves you cares about what you need. I used Chantix. Cannot say enough about it. Quit mid day (after puffing on about 1/2 a pack) and only 6 days on the medication. Figured I would just ....see how it went. I am totally smoke free - over 5 years now. I would go back for nothing. Your own smell will return. Your ability to taste. Your self worth and self confidence. Good luck to you.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    if you cannot find your own motivation than you will not quit. I know as I am a recent ex-smoker. I watched my mom go through heart surgery and my dad through cancer and still kept on smoking until one day out of the blue I was done FOR ME and nothing and no-one else Just FOR ME. no one can give you the motivation or reasons to quit YOU HAVE TO DO THAT FOR YOURSELF!!
    Good Luck, your time will come....
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I quit probably five years ago and have been addicted to nicorette ever since. but hey it worked for me and at least I can breathe abd dont stink. nicorette did it for me. I was smoking two packs a day.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for the replies. I have read each post and now have a lot to consider. The MFP community has come through in a big way! I am 52 and am very healthy according to my doctor. I think it is more difficult to quit smoking than lose weight because I can't see any results. With weight loss, I can get positive reinforcement from the scale, my clothes and the mirror. With smoking, it's all in my head. I am not smoking as much as I did two weeks ago, but I can't seem to stop completely. I have been at this two weeks and I am needing the extra push to stop cheating. Please keep the replies coming! I need each one.
    VERYHEALTHY? Has your dr done an angiogram on you? That is the only way t reaaly know if arteries are blocked. Keep fooling yourself angiogrm involves placing a catheter in the heart .with dye. Your cholesterol ect can be fine. If you are smoking you are not healthy and your PCP is a quack,
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,866 Member
    Options
    In my experience you cannot cut down. Sooner or later you creep back up. In my experience you cannot become a social smoker e.g. having one cigarette when you go out. Sooner or later you are back to smoking. The only way in my experience is to quit. No matter how you do it (patches, electronic cigs or whatever method) just do it whilst you can.
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My research is in head and neck cancer, which is on most occasions caused by smoking (plus other things). If you saw the tumours that get slapped in front of my every week....you would stop.
  • gogoyubarino
    gogoyubarino Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I started running and I knew that I had to quit in order to take my running to the next level.

So I quit smoking.
  • akmom40
    akmom40 Posts: 12
    Options
    Sounds like you already found your motivation, and I'm happy for you. Both my grandmothers died from smoking at a very young age....1 was 55 and the other was 63. I was only 12 and 13 when they died and I miss them like crazy. As an adult woman and mother, I wish that I had my grandmothers until their natural ages. I never touched a cigarette in my life because I watched them die as a direct result. One grandmother died of lung cancer, after having radiation and chemo for months. Once diagnosed, it took about a year. My other grandmother died of heart disease and that took many years to kill her. Both suffered a great deal and it was heartbreaking to watch. If you continue to smoke, it is likely you will suffer from a disease or condition, which will eventually take your life early.
  • vikramtag
    vikramtag Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was a pack a day smoker just ..its been 3 months i quit ..my idea was to reduce smoking which came down to 3 per day ( after meals i could not resist ) ..then i finally said to myself this is BS ..if i can reduce it I can might as well quit it.. ITS ALL IN THE HEAD..Overnight i decided not to smoke anymore and haven't smoked again...It requires will power and get rid of the thought "I have to smoke at this time " . No you don't have to..
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My personal health was my motivation...:bigsmile: One day you will come to your moment of motivation... :smokin: Good luck to you.:smile: note: I stopped cold turkey over four years ago...:wink:
  • ButterflyDame
    ButterflyDame Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed this thread. I'm a smoker, but not for long!
  • Besmum
    Besmum Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes you have, if I can do it anyone can! Haven't smoked for 11 weeks now but still love the smell of someone else smoking a nice fresh cigarette. Hate the smell of an ashtray though ..... Mind you I always did. Good luck.
  • Jim_1960
    Jim_1960 Posts: 399
    Options
    I have wrestled with this idea for months now and bought an e-cig which worked 50% of the time.
    Biggest issue was it looked like a ciggie so my mind couldn't divorce the fact it wasn't and so I ended up only 50% of the way each day still buying the dreaded weed.
    Really felt like ****e with wheeze, cough and an empty wallet so I went and bout an eGo-Y cartomizer with some e-liquid on Friday 2nd August and downloaded the Quitit app to my phone.
    I haven't touched, or had the inclination to touch a ciggie since that date and cough is gone, wheeze is gone and vaping really does help.

Hope this helps.
    Jim
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 3 weeks ago as of Saturday, and its been great. I just went cold turkey. I've been struggling with it since the end of February, but something finally just clicked for me this time.

I found this site http://www.globalone.tv/profiles/blogs/what-happens-to-your-body-if/ which is kinda cool. tells you the changes your body goes through when you stop smoking.

* In 20 minutes your blood pressure will drop back down to normal.
    * In 8 hours the carbon monoxide (a toxic gas) levels in your blood stream will drop by half, and oxygen levels will return to normal.
    * In 48 hours your chance of having a heart attack will have decreased. All nicotine will have left your body. Your sense of taste and smell will return to a normal level.
    * In 72 hours your bronchial tubes will relax, and your energy levels will increase.
    * In 2 weeks your circulation will increase, and it will continue to improve for the next 10 weeks.
    * In three to nine months coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will dissipate as your lung capacity improves by 10%.
    * In 1 year your risk of having a heart attack will have dropped by half.
    * In 5 years your risk of having a stroke returns to that of a non-smoker.
    * In 10 years your risk of lung cancer will have returned to that of a non-smoker.
    * In 15 years your risk of heart attack will have returned to that of a non-smoker.

was good enough for me (: best of luck.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Yay! I admire everyone trying to get healthy on this thread. I hope no one is holier than thou, because we all struggle to be our best. Learn and lean on each other.