lean bulking

Options
Just curious to see the caloric intake of others trying to lean bulk...autumn is coming soon and its that time of year again to start putting on some LBM!

I found best sucess around 2700 calories ( Lifted hard 4 days a week, no cardio)

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2900 calories for bulk. My TDEE is 2600 calories, and I cut on 2000 calories.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm eating around 3000 right now, give-or-take depending on exercise level (275-cal surplus). Not sure if this is my sweet spot yet, as I'm new to this and I've been slowly increasing calories and exercise intensity over the past 3 weeks. Maintenance is supposedly 2600 for me, according to MFP. But everyone's a little different. I was eating around 500 under maintenance before starting the bulk diet. I've been lifting fairly intensely for 2 weeks now.
  • Kr1ptonite
    Kr1ptonite Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Im bulking on around 2970 at the moment. And just seeing how it goes week to week.
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Tagging to follow. Maintaining at 2800 cal. Thinking about starting a bulk in oct. though about targeting 3200.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Just up my caloires from 3300 to 3400 because i wasnt gaining any more from eating 3300. Weird thing is that I lowered my protein intake by 5% and increased my carbs by 5% and I lost a bit of weight :ohwell: , I'm still getting about 1.3x my body weight in protein.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is around 2900. So i'm taking in anywhere from 3100-3300 daily. I'm putting on weight little by little. Figure as long as i can see some kind of abs, i'll keep doing it this way. Still tracking macros and eating fairly clean. Not using bulking as an excuse to gorge on bs.
  • AxelM81
    AxelM81 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MY TDEE is around 3500, so I eat around 4 to 5000kcal a day on weight training days, around 3000 to 3500 on cardio days (e.g. martial arts, running, ....), 2500kcal on non training day and then one fasting day on Sunday of 600 to 800kcal to keep the fat off... So essentially calorie cycling with a fasting day, and I also do the 16/8h intermittent fasting and works amazingly well! Gaining muscle and still losing fat
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Main. days: 1950
    Clean bulking days: 2200
    Cardio days: 1950 + cardo miles (it varies depending on the weather and my mood).

Protein stays the same: 1 gram per lb of weight.
    Fat: 20-30%
    Carbs: 50-60%
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as well.
    I see buff dudes on here eating like 1800,1900,2000 calories per day
    But they're freaking huge.
    I don't get it. I've been basically in maintenance for 4 months
    At 2500 per day average.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    4x a week 2550 cals (training days)

3x a week 2107 cals (rest days)

about .5 lb a week gain
  • CaptainHNNNGGG
    CaptainHNNNGGG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Maint around 3500..

On that 4K bulk time soon
  • adambannon
    adambannon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been eating around 3500 and I'm stuck around 170. I want to get to about 185. I started at 133 for real (former ED) but now that I'm consuming 3500 calories I feel sick if I eat anymore. There's only so much time in the day as well lol. I can't believe how different everyone's metabolism is. Some of you bulking at 2500 calories I just shake my head lol.
  • BrofessorPHD
    BrofessorPHD Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    good info guys.... a lot of the bro's on the bodybuilding.com all say they bulk at 4000 +. Everyone is different but it seems more of a consensus over there...

Everyones responses here fall in line with what i would expect to see...i saw most success around 2800 when i was not cheating and #yoloing. you only need a couple hundred increase...

thanks
  • LCgymnast
    LCgymnast Posts: 258
    Options
    I'm around 1500 a day, but people have said I need more to help build muscle. I'm not a body builder, but I do love lifting. Any advice?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm gaining very slowly at about 3400/day. Maintenance seems to have increased after having reversed slowly out of my previous cut.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'm around 1500 a day, but people have said I need more to help build muscle. I'm not a body builder, but I do love lifting. Any advice?

I eat more than 1500 when I am cutting. What is your TDEE?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump sorry I forgot to add I'm eating between 2660cals on rest days and averaging about 3300cals on work out days. But still working it out as my gains are not consistent yet.

A link that was put up yesterday on the forums that is relevant...

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/

and another good link...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/general-philosophies-of-muscle-mass-gain.html
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    bump for more helpful info hopefully
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Huh. Weird.

I'm 5'5 130lbs (just hit that btw! :D) and have been shooting for 2600kcal a day for 1kg a month (.5lb/.25kg weekly)... A lot of guys heavier than me seem to be eating around the same. Dafuq.
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Reverse dieting now I m at 2678 wich seems to be really close to my maintain
    Working out 4 times a week as well