Must add protein shakes, HELP!!

Options
Ok... I am finding that I go thru spurts where i am either not interested in eating, or I am afraid of over eating (like if healthy options are limited) so I just don't eat. I have decided that I MUST add the option of protein shakes for times like these. Which one is the best tasting (if i don't like it, i won't use it) and the best way to use it. I don't drink milk, I use almond milk. This is a weight loss journey for me, started with goal of losing 189 pounds, have lost 55 so far. Thanks for all your input!!

Replies

• DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey. I love the double chocolate. It is some pretty good stuff. My wife loves it with one scoop protein and one cup almond milk.
  • zombielatte
    Options
    The previous statement is a really good option. Optimum nutrition is a really good when it come to quality and all of the flavor choices are actually really good, which is pretty important if you are going to be filling in a lot of meals with it. Pretty much tastes like chocolate milk and the price is pretty good. A little tip, you really do get what you pay for when it comes to whey.
  • batesp
    batesp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can recommend Maximuscle Promax Lean (used to be called Promax Diet). It mixes very easily with water and does a good job of making you feel quite full despite only being 200 calories per serving. It has a hefty dose of whey protein as well. Amazon do a good deal if you take out a periodic subscription, otherwise BodyHut were cheapest last time I checked.
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The best tasting one for me is SYNTHA-6 vanilla ice cream, makes the best tasting smoothies and I also add it to coffee sometimes. The other one I use is UMP Chocolate.
  • _Moose51_
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey, Extreme Milk Chocolate, PB2 peanut Butter, Almond Milk. This is really good, the PB2 is really low cal and the same PB taste.
  • hauhaut901
    hauhaut901 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi , I've got a lot of experience when it comes to supplements and my taste buds are quite demanding so these are my top 3 tasing proteins (only with milk , water is horrible)

- MusclePharm Chocolate (warm only)
    -Optimum Nutrition Double Chocolate (warm only)
    -QNT Metapure Q2 Strawberry ( you can drink this one cold even)

The QNT one is an ISOLATE , meaning it has ONLY protein and no carbs/fats in it. BUT it does have aspartame (artificial sweetner) :) I don't really care for these as they cause no real harm but some people do.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Nature's Best - Isopure Low Carb - 3 flavors - Dutch Chocolate, Strawberry or Vanilla
  • 00snook
    00snook Posts: 16
    Options
    I use 90+ Protein powders and the chocolate one is perfectly drinkable. Very high protein and very low carbs per serving.

Tastes a bit like nutella I guess. Its good enough though.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    We have just started making smoothies and i love them! But we have been buying ISS Research Whey Power Protein - Vanilla- for many many years. Just the right taste for me. It comes in 2.2lb containers and i always get it online. You should be able to find it for about $30. The smoothie we did last night was very simple. Using a blender - some ice, banana, handful each of blueberries and red grapes and an 80 calorie scoop of protein powder. Keep blending and adding ice until desired consistency and thickness. So Yummy! Should have been doing this for years! This was enough for 2 people - so adjust for just one.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Put in another response for Optimum Nutrition's Double chocolate and Extreme chocolate flavors. I mix both with about half of water they recommend and it's a like a milkshake, only far better for me.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I am using Black Widow Whey Powder atm which reports to blast fat and build muscle lol i will note tho i have started losing more body fat according to my Biometric scales since using the Whey powder over just regular protein powder

40g which is 2 scoops has 30g of protein, i mix mine with 600mls of a mix of warm water and cold water in a shaker i usually have 2 of those a day one in the morning and one b4 workouts after work.

I was using Natures Own Protein Powder and it was doing (30g scoop had 20g of protein) ok, Whey seems to have about 10% more protein per gram then Protein Powder, both come in CHocolate and Vanilla.

I also put in a good word for Well Natural Chocolate or Peppermint Protein bars which are like after dinner mints but twice the size and have next to no calories, sugar, sodium but house 10g of protein in a 25g bar good for a snack

If you are afraid of going over calories, eat more protein and less carbs, proteins are more beneficial to muscles then carbs is anyway, carbs are only needed by the brain but really any source can provide energy to the whole body
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For flavor (not cost), I've liked Syntrax Nectar, XFMuscle Ultra Peptide, and TruNutrion's Trutein. I wasn't a fan of ON, but it's definitely cheaper. It doesn't sound like this would be a problem for you, but I feel fuller on protein powders that aren't just whey.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    GNC amplified..It is expensive, but I like it..

IMO you do way better eating your protein. I find that when I use a shake, because I forgot to make something or am in a rush that I am starving three hours later..

I think shakes are good fill in for getting to your protein goal, but should not be used as a substitute for real food...
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have tried them all. I like GNC Lean shakes the best. As with all protein shakes they must be drank very cold or they taste like chalk.
  • tameroo2
    tameroo2 Posts: 21
    Options
    Also, don't fear food. You need to break that mentality. It can lead to some serious problems down the road.
    [/quote]

It is not that I really fear food... It is more that I go thru spurts where I just don't want to eat... or I don't want to eat healthy, so I just don't eat. But I do get that my mentality has to change. The protien shakes will be used more for when I am in a big hurry or especially after a hard workout. That is one time in particular that I find myself not wanting food...but need the protein for the muscle repair.

Thanks to all who have responded.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes, please do