??? dizzy every time I stand up??

Options
Hello MFP friends! I am hoping you guys can give me some feedback as to how I should deal with this or what I should do....

Every time I get up from a sitting position on the floor or sometimes just getting up from a chair causes a few seconds of getting really dizzy to the point that I have to stop and wait for it to pass or I feel like I am going to fall or throw up. I did tell my doctor about it and she said it was normal for some people. (I work with young kids so I am up and down off the floor all day and it is getting really frustrating to be dizzy all the time) This only started in the last year and not something I have ever had before. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I find another doctor?? Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    eat ginger at specific intervals in the day, it will do wonders, it did me x
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm having the exact same problem but mine just started about a month ago! I'm eager to see what responses you get. Thanks for starting this topic, I hope you get some relief.
  • amyjo519
    amyjo519 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It kinda sounds like vertigo which is an inner ear problem. I'm not sure how or if that's associated w/weight loss and/or diet. It does sound terribly frustrating tho. I think you'd have to see an ear, nose, throat doctor or do some more research online.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I get that alot. Try taking a few, deep, slow breaths before standing, then rise slowly. Sometimes just standing too fast can send the whole world spinning.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It is caused by a sudden drop in blood pressure from the action of suddenly sitting up or standing up from a lower position.

For me it is normal, but the more hydrated I am the less it happens for some reason.

The ginger trick is interesting... I'll have to try it and see if it helps.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    it might be a good idea to get a doctor to check your inner ears but it could also be that you're not getting enough sugar (yes, MFP has a relatively low sugar setting and some people actually NEED a higher sugar intake then they say on here, but the good kinds of sugar) i know when my blood sugar is low that an apple or orange or a nice big glass of fruit juice makes me feel better and less dizzy. hope this helps!
  • pcw52
    pcw52 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I was on the Atkins diet. I had to stop it and change because I did the same thing. I started it 3 different times and it happened each time. i just could not do that diet. Do you check your blood pressure? On occasion there is a condition that your pressure fluctuates when you stand up, so you have to rise slowly and be aware of it. My oldest daughter started taking Claritin before school. By the time she got there, she had sweats, nervousness and her heart would start to beat faster. Her teacher was afraid she was having a stroke. (I had told her doctor that she had a hard time with antihistamines). She went to a heart doctor and they decide it was anxiety-not. I stopped the Claritin and she was fine. Are you checking side affects of your medications? Good luck.
  • rfialkiewicz
    rfialkiewicz Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Ack, Dreamer and my mother the nurse reminded me...

It's ONLY a BP issue if it is ONLY happening when you move suddenly from a low to high position, since this increases the force on your heart and decreases it's pressure for one or two pumps. It should fade away IMMEDIATELY.

If it does NOT fade away immediately then it may be vertigo and if it clings for a LONG time it may be blood sugar related. For both of these you should speak your doctor again. Tell her the dizziness is hanging on for more than a breath or two.

Mine is usually gone by the first deep breath I take after standing.
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    This happens to me all the time--as others have said, it's a BP issue. The best advice I can give is getting up slowly, but if that's not possible (which I guess is a reasonable assumption if you're running after little ones), try contracting your abs to "force" blood up into the top half of your body so you don't get as much of a dizzy spell.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water, since proper hydration can help you maintain blood pressure, and if you get a chance, discuss it with a physician.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I would ask my doctor about B12 supplements. A lack of B12 can cause a vertigo feeling, or even cause you to pass out. Vegetarians and vegans are particularly susceptible, because B12 only comes naturally from animal protein.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    I've had the same problem for about ten years, just not as frequently as you are experiencing it. I have had no formal diagnosis. However, I have had several people suggest that it has to do with blood pressure issues. I have high blood pressure, maybe you should get checked?
  • dpetrov
    Options
    These exercises are not a one size fits all situation. Ideally a program needs to be designed for you and you should work with a therapist familiar with balance disorders and vertigo.

Here is what you should do:

Seated:

1. Move your eyes through their full range both up and down and to the right and left.

2. Follow (track) an object with your eyes.

3. Practice fixation. One good technique is to look at print on a page while moving your head side to side. Another is to watch your finger moving to your left while at the same time moving your head to the right. Then reverse the process.

4. Move your neck through its full range forward, back, and to the right and left with your eyes open and closed.

5. Watch your hand by rotating your neck as it moves to the right and left.

6. Sit on the edge of a bed and tilt your head back to the right if you can, then lay flat. Repeat this on the left with your eyes open and closed.

Standing:

1. Repeat as many of above maneuvers as possible.

2. Stand up and sit down repeatedly with your eyes open and closed.

3. Just stand still with the eyes open and closed.

Walking:

1. Walk across the room with eyes open and closed.

2. Practice tandem walking. (Police drunk test)

3. Walk up and down a hill.

4. Practice walking in a place where there are contradictory visual stimuli, such as a long hall or in a supermarket where there are lots of carts and people moving in different directions.

5. Practice walking daily while looking in shop windows etc. Do not just keep your eyes glued to the ground. Walk naturally. Try to walk naturally without really thinking about it.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    eat ginger at specific intervals in the day, it will do wonders, it did me x

Do you mean fresh ginger, or would ginger root pills work?
  • ana70
    ana70 Posts: 93
    Options
    Sounds like low blood preasure, have you ever had it checked? I have it too, it is not dangerous, just inconvienent - better than high blood preasure.

Nothing to worry about.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    a couple of causes to look into, first one that comes to mind is dehydration, second is blood sugar issures, third is low blood pressure. There are other things that cause viritgo as well like virus or inner ear infection. Might be worth investgating a little further.
  • amylynne26
    amylynne26 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    this happens to me whenever I'm not drinking enough water... took me a while to figure that out though :blushing:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Hello MFP friends! I am hoping you guys can give me some feedback as to how I should deal with this or what I should do....

Every time I get up from a sitting position on the floor or sometimes just getting up from a chair causes a few seconds of getting really dizzy to the point that I have to stop and wait for it to pass or I feel like I am going to fall or throw up. I did tell my doctor about it and she said it was normal for some people. (I work with young kids so I am up and down off the floor all day and it is getting really frustrating to be dizzy all the time) This only started in the last year and not something I have ever had before. Does anyone know if this is normal or should I find another doctor?? Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

Sounds to me like you have Vertigo and no, it is not normal, I can't believe your doctor just brushed you off like that, ESPECIALLY as it has only recently just started. You need a second opinion, make sure you get one so you can get whatever it is sorted.

If you have inner ear trouble, it can cause balance problems and a feeling of nausea, it could be something such as an infection there, hence why you definitely need to see either your own or another doctor as soon as possible.

I hope you get it sorted quickly xxx
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider...if you're bending over to pick up a child, many of us tend to bend over at the waist, thus allowing our head to drop to waist level or below. If you squat to pick up said child, rather than bending over, and allowing your head to stay fairly vertical and above your waist, you may be able to limit/eliminate the issue.