Insanity Reviews

Options
I am thinking about ordering Insanity and was curious what people here have thought or think about the program. I love intense workouts and I think I need these kinds of workouts to whip me into great shape. How have the results been? Is it worth the investment? Do you like P90X better? Thanks :)

Replies

• CARBLEGEND
    CARBLEGEND Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    not for everyone...but if you liked the bodyweight movements and high intensity training..you will love it...I got in shape by powerlifting...zero cardio
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I can't give a review just yet, as I'm only starting it tonight. Although if you look on Amazon and a few other review sites you'll see lots and lots of reviews.

From what I've read, it's apparently very hard, very testing but also very effective.
  • martz29
    martz29 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have one week left of insanity now. It's an awesome workout and definitely the most challenging I know of on a DVD. It has nearly beaten me a few times but I just keep pressing play and ploughing through the best I can. My fitness has improved massively and I'm definitely gaining muscle now. But it's very intense and you have to have a lot of dedication to see it through. I can't sit to be done with it now, but know I will go back to it again in the future.

As for whether you should do P90x instead, I think it depends on what your goals are really, what you enjoy doing and what equipment you have. Insanity is an intense cardio workout with body weight strength training exercises and P90x is more strength training with weights/resistance bands and pull up bar etc with some cardio thrown in x
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am finishing week 3 insanity today and i LOVE it! I agree with the above that it's most definitely challenging, but you have to just stick with it. I also have P90X and have done it before, but this is so much better in my opinion! The workouts are shorter first of all, and I love the way they're broken down, so you do cardio for warmup, stretch 5-7 minutes, and then you do another 15-20 of cardio and stretch...it makes it feel more achievable when you only have "x min to get through". I noticed my strength increase after just a few days, I am just now starting to drop a few lbs and my body is just now making noticeable changes. I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks that are to come! As with anything, it does get a little boring because it's repetitive, but the workouts will change after 4 weeks and I'm sure that will help. The results I'm feeling and seeing are well worth every minute of torture!! Feel free to add me if you start and need any help or motivation :)
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Oh, it's intense alright. INSANELY so, in fact.

I was in the military, and no kidding, Insanity was a more challenging sustained workout program than anything I ever did in any of my military training, including bootcamp/indoc. It will kick your *kitten* day after day, and if it doesn't then you should just quit because you're not going hard enough.

It was hellish and glorious at the same time. Don't kid yourself though, it's not for the faint of heart. Heart is actually the most important qualifier; you don't have to be a triathelete to do it, just have to have the guts to "press play" every single day.

Good luck.
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    I'm on my second round of insanity- and this is the first "cardio" type program that has helped shape my body. I've also noticed that it has increased my athleticism quite a bit- so I actually enjoy sports now.

I highly recommend it- just don't expect super dramatic changes your first month or anything, like any new exercise that you start, it will take some time to notice results, but you definitely will!
  • Dena216
    Dena216 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am finishing week 3 insanity today and i LOVE it! I agree with the above that it's most definitely challenging, but you have to just stick with it. I also have P90X and have done it before, but this is so much better in my opinion! The workouts are shorter first of all, and I love the way they're broken down, so you do cardio for warmup, stretch 5-7 minutes, and then you do another 15-20 of cardio and stretch...it makes it feel more achievable when you only have "x min to get through". I noticed my strength increase after just a few days, I am just now starting to drop a few lbs and my body is just now making noticeable changes. I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks that are to come! As with anything, it does get a little boring because it's repetitive, but the workouts will change after 4 weeks and I'm sure that will help. The results I'm feeling and seeing are well worth every minute of torture!! Feel free to add me if you start and need any help or motivation :)

I have completed my 2nd week and I am getting unmotivated here with Insanity. I actually gained 1.2 lbs (I was super bloated for 4 days though) and I havent noticed any changes at all. Did you just start losing and seeing changes after 3 wks? I like the program, but I am so used to seeing changes on the scale or with measurements within 10 days of each new workout. I'm 5'8" 144 lbs (145.2 now) just trying to lose my last 14 lbs and lose my belly flab after 2 babies.
  • kristen2713
    Options
    dkny3362~don't give up just yet! we're about the same weight and you're a little taller than me...yes, this weekend it was like magic overnight that i had some small noticeable changes in my body. I "felt" them after the first week, but I am also a serial measurer and weigher and am trying to back off myself after talking to some others about the same problem, because I wasn't seeing the measurements get smaller. I feel quite confident that the next 5 weeks is only going to bring bigger and better things after this weekend. There are some great articles on why you gain weight the first few weeks of insanity and most people with the biggest results in the first few weeks are people with more to lose. I'm more into losing my flab than weight at this point and I assure you, it's slowly happening. I bet if we went super crazy and measured every bit of our bodies, you'd find areas you already lost 1/2" after two weeks :) Feel free to add me and since I'm about a week ahead, I can tell you all the good things you have to look forward to :tongue:
  • RachyD21
    RachyD21 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you how amazing it makes you feel! I'm finishing week 3 tomorrow and my body has changed visibly in this short time. My legs look great and the cellulite on the back of my legs has all but vanished! (If only the rest would disappear.....). I have only lost 0.8lb but I can definitely see that I've added muscle so I'm not worrying about that!

As everyone else has said, it's hard work In all honesty I wanted to give up after the fit test. And after the first workout I thought I'd have no choice but to give up because I was going to die. Lying on the floor, willing your stomach contents to stay put is not a fun feeling. I was sore the whole first week, which is nice and not nice at the same time. Lowering myself into a sitting position became an activity that required arms, lol. After the first week it gets better though. You're still exhausted and a little shaky afterwards but I'm not sore anymore (except today when my abs and bum hurt for some reason!), I can make it to the end without wanting to throw up and my endurance and strength have massively improved. I can't wait to see what Shaun T will do to me by the end of it all!
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Lisa_Rhodes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm in my Recovery week and I love Insanity so far. I didn't even watch the Dig Deep DvD like it suggests or else I probably wouldn't have done it. I just put in the Fit Test and dove right in. The one thing I have not seen is the scale move.. I thought I would be I do have a lot left to lose, so it left me feeling upset, BUT I have lost some major inches in my thighs (which is where I lose weight first anyway). Everybody that has seen me notices a big change in my shape. At one point I thought I gained weight, but it was DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness) which makes your muscles swell and act as if you gained weight, but you haven't. When you go to doing something that Intense, it'll happen and it will go down. I'm telling ya.. by far the best workout I've done. I can't wait for Month 2... scared and excited :happy:

ETA: Make sure you have a couple of bottles of water and a towel handy :wink:
  • kristen2713
    Options

A, as in ONE towel?? LOL..I wear a do-rag, keep an extra on the side and keep a towel handy...I am SOOO gross when I'm done I can wring the stuff out!!! hahaha!
  • kristen2713
    Options

A, as in ONE towel?? LOL..I wear a do-rag, keep an extra on the side and keep a towel handy...I am SOOO gross when I'm done I can wring the stuff out!!! hahaha!

By the way Lisa~not sure how long you've been on your journey of weight loss total, but your two pics you have up are AMAZING results! Keep at it!!!
  • rachelwarner32
    rachelwarner32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Insanity is the hardest thing I've ever done but I'm on day 23 and there's no turning back now! I've not lost weight but have lost 2.5 inches in my waist and 1 in my hips so I know I'm improving.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options

By the way Lisa~not sure how long you've been on your journey of weight loss total, but your two pics you have up are AMAZING results! Keep at it!!!

Awwe, thank you! It's been a little over a year, those pics were taken exactly a year from each other, 50lbs down :)

and I know what you mean about one towel, LOL. One time my brother asked me if I just took a shower and I said no.... just finished Insanity, haha.
  • Dena216
    Dena216 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How many calories are all of you eating? Are you following the guide for how much you are eating? I am eating less than that but not sure if I should increase or not. Curious to see what others are doing. I'm starving ALL THE TIME! Omg, I lost 50 lbs eating this way and was okay, now I just want to eat eat eat! And nothing seems to fill me up. lol. I get plenty of protein and fiber.
  • kristen2713
    Options
    How many calories are all of you eating? Are you following the guide for how much you are eating? I am eating less than that but not sure if I should increase or not. Curious to see what others are doing. I'm starving ALL THE TIME! Omg, I lost 50 lbs eating this way and was okay, now I just want to eat eat eat! And nothing seems to fill me up. lol. I get plenty of protein and fiber.

I don't have much time, but I took a glance through your food logs and I honestly don't think you're eating nearly enough to be fueling your body properly to burn fat, increase your metabolism and build muscle. You're eating close to the NET calories you need to be, but depending on many factors, you're burning 300-600 calories per workout and need to eat back those calories. The insanity nutrition guide/calorie count takes into consideration your workouts and may tell you 1700 or 1900 or whatever depending on your numbers. In MFP, you earn them back..it's all the same, but you need to be eating more (in my opinion only). I'm not an expert by any means, but take a glance through my logs. It's only been a few days on here because i made a dietary switch from weight watchers to calorie and nutrient counting and I'm still finding my balance. I'm having a hard time getting all my calories in and end up filling those days with a glass of wine or two...BAD KRISTEN BAD!! :laugh: My diet may just give you some more ideas.
  • kristen2713
    Options
    P.s....if you look at today's, ignore the donut :brokenheart: total moment of weakness haha...and I pack my lunch so I log every day right up until my workout and dinner...just helps to keep me on track and know what I should change for the day or how I should go about dinner and evening snacks!
  • eating4me
    eating4me Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Insanity. I'm on Week 4 right now. I took a solid week off, because I went on vacation, so then I came back, and repeated Week 3. I lost a little bit of weight the first week, but then stayed the same. All of a sudden, last week, after being completely off the previous week, I lost 2lbs. I had to increase my calories, because I'm at goal weight, and am trying to build muscle. It is an AWESOME workout, and if you like intense workouts, you'll fall in love with this! I used to be a fitness instructor, and this is definitely the best cardiovascular workout I've ever done. I love the progression & design of Shaun T.'s exercises. I feel fantastic after every one of the workouts, and I've improved my running endurance and pace. I am getting stronger, changing the shape of my body, and noticing that my energy level is improving throughout the day, so I frequently feel like working out more after an Insanity session. That's not to say that I don't feel like I'm dying, at times, during the actual workouts....but they're GREAT, even still! I've not done P90X yet, so I can't speak on that, but I plan to do it, after I complete Insanity, to build more muscle.
  • Lisa_Rhodes
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Insanity. I'm on Week 4 right now. I took a solid week off, because I went on vacation, so then I came back, and repeated Week 3. I lost a little bit of weight the first week, but then stayed the same. All of a sudden, last week, after being completely off the previous week, I lost 2lbs. I had to increase my calories, because I'm at goal weight, and am trying to build muscle. It is an AWESOME workout, and if you like intense workouts, you'll fall in love with this! I used to be a fitness instructor, and this is definitely the best cardiovascular workout I've ever done. I love the progression & design of Shaun T.'s exercises. I feel fantastic after every one of the workouts, and I've improved my running endurance and pace. I am getting stronger, changing the shape of my body, and noticing that my energy level is improving throughout the day, so I frequently feel like working out more after an Insanity session. That's not to say that I don't feel like I'm dying, at times, during the actual workouts....but they're GREAT, even still! I've not done P90X yet, so I can't speak on that, but I plan to do it, after I complete Insanity, to build more muscle.

Doesn't it feel like a High after the workout? Or is that just me :smile:
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I finished Insanity yesterday. Main goal with it: decreasing fat%. Which it did. It also gave me more resistance. Don't have much weight to lose, so it wasn't an issue, did lost 1kg the first month but put it back last week.
    Don't know about the body composition, but I have less centimeters at waist and hips and look better overall, so it's all good. I did had some problems the 2nd month cause I wasn't eating enough (was always tired) but it wourked out in the end.
    So my take on it: it's a very agressive workout, so take care of your nutrition.
    Good luck to all who do it!