Very frustrated & starting to get depressed

Options

Replies

• wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I only looked back a few days, but for a female I'd say you are eating a lot. Many meals 500-700 cals. I don't know your stats, but I know I eat about 1400 per day. Maybe 1700 when I exercise. What type of exercise do you do to burn 900?? That also is very high but maybe you exercise a lot. I burn about 300-400 exercising (running and weights) and occasionally 600-700 if I do a long run (yesterday I ran 6 miles and it was 637 cals). You eat a lot of processed food and snacks. Try one processed snack a day not several. That is your treat. Everything else should be real food. Veggies, fruit, dairy, proteins, etc. I think you need to decrease your cals to maybe 1800 max.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I looked back over a few days and you're tucking in quite a bit with many days coming in at over 2000+ cals.

What's your TDEE??
  • JayWalk39
    JayWalk39 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    .8 grams of protein per poun

.8 per kg, not pound. Some say 1 per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, which is not the same as per pound.
    Nope! General guidelines below, however I estimated at the lower end of the protein scale as a minimum recommendation.

And yes, I understand that there are studies that range all over the place and there is no one size the fits all!

"General 'bodybuilding' guidelines for protein would be as follows:
    - Moderate bodyfat and training load = 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie or High training load = 2.4 - 3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.1-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, or low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75 - 1g per pound)"
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

.8 per kg, not pound. Some say 1 per pound of LEAN BODY MASS, which is not the same as per pound.
    Nope! General guidelines below, however I estimated at the lower end of the protein scale as a minimum recommendation.

And yes, I understand that there are studies that range all over the place and there is no one size the fits all!

- Moderate bodyfat and training load = 2.2-2.8g per kg TOTAL weight (about 1-1.25g per pound)
    - Very Low bodyfat or Very Low Calorie or High training load = 2.4 - 3g per kg TOTAL weight (1.1-1.35g per pound)
    - High bodyfat, high calorie, or low training load = 1.6 to 2.2g per kg TOTAL weight (.75 - 1g per pound)"
    Where in the OP does it say she's bodybuilding?
  • bnorris2013
    bnorris2013 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone else you are eating WAYYY to much

I also concur the question what kind of exercise are you doing to be burning 700-900 looking at your pictures you don't look very big so you don't burn that many calories per hour even with the hardest of training honestly this looks like your 2-3 hours of vigourous exercise

What I would suggest doing is cut yourself back to eating what MFP gives you Which is 1520 - If you exercise eat back 1/3 of your burn calories so if you think you burned 900 calories eat back a 300 calorie HIGH PROTEIN snack

See what that does for you I bet you start losing weight
  • JayWalk39
    Options

"Hitting the gym" and "bootcamp" requires a muscle build. Bodybuilding implies adding muscle and reducing fat...not becoming a HULK. Increase in muscle mass will result in a leaner body and higher metabolism / fat loss. And this is another reason why I suggest the lower end of the protein scale.
  • Snikkee
    Snikkee Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    weight loss is one huge *kitten* experiment. IT IS frustrating, and will continue to be. Give your new diet and work out routine at least 6 weeks, if you have no results after being committed and consistent for that amount of time, change something in your diet or your work out routine.
    Eating clean consists of

Lean meats: such as lean beef, turkey, chicken breast, fish
    whole wheat, brown rice, veggies, lots and lots of veggies, and fruit.

your work outs should incorporate a mix of different things, such as:

HIIT
    Tabata
    heavy lifting

These are things that have worked for me. Everyones body is different, and everyones results are different.
  • rml_16
    Options

"Hitting the gym" and "bootcamp" requires a muscle build. Bodybuilding implies adding muscle and reducing fat...not becoming a HULK. Increase in muscle mass will result in a leaner body and higher metabolism / fat loss.
    Oh dear. You are going to be eaten alive.
  • JayWalk39
    Options

"Hitting the gym" and "bootcamp" requires a muscle build. Bodybuilding implies adding muscle and reducing fat...not becoming a HULK. Increase in muscle mass will result in a leaner body and higher metabolism / fat loss.
    Not really. I understand you cannot gain muscle and lose weight at the same time because you need a calorie deficit, however you NEED protein to preserve the muscle that you have...especially while doing exercise like Bootcamp and the gym (which I take it as meaning weight training). What about that is not true???
  • Snikkee
    Options
    if you are working out a lot, you do need to be eating more, BUT clean food. I am 5'4 I weigh 157 and I work out about 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I eat 1500-2000 calories a day and I am still losing weight.
  • Snikkee
    Options

Not really. I understand you cannot gain muscle and lose weight at the same time because you need a calorie deficit, however you NEED protein to preserve the muscle that you have...especially while doing exercise like Bootcamp and the gym (which I take it as meaning weight training). What about that is not true???

ALRIGHT PEOPLE! you can gain muscle while being at a caloric deficit... IT IS POSSIBLE, how do I know? because I have been at a deficit for many months now and I am gaining muscle... you just have to lift really heavy.
  • JayWalk39
    Options

ALRIGHT PEOPLE! you can gain muscle while being at a caloric deficit... IT IS POSSIBLE, how do I know? because I have been at a deficit for many months now and I am gaining muscle... you just have to lift really heavy.

Body recomposition is possible for beginners and people at a higher body fat %. It becomes less possible as your body fat % decreases and you achieve and increase in muscle mass.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I looked at your food diary. A couple suggestions.... take them or leave them. I don't know if it will really help! But I wouldn't eat all your exercise calories... Just in case they're not accurate. I would also eliminate oatmeal and oatmeal products. I know it's a healthy 'whole' grain, but my husband went through a period where nothing was much different but he couldn't drop weight at all... and his breakfast of choice had changed to oatmeal. Also, juice is just sugar, unless it's tomato juice- it's just a shot of sugar for your system. It' looks like you don't drink too much at any time, and maybe it's your way of eliminating soda or something, in which case that's a positive step... but one to maybe eliminate in the future. Also, a doctor who was telling my all about MFP recommended I weigh my meat before it's cooked and add that weight to my tracker. So 3 oz of uncooked chicken will then be about 2.5 oz of cooked meat. I don't know how you do it, but that can be hidden calories we're not aware of. HTH!

I eat oatmeal every single day, I make it from scratch with unsweetened almond milk and a it of truvia..... I have lost over 100 pounds. Oatmeal is one of the healthiest breakfast choices out there, just stay away from the instant stuff, it's full of sugar!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Cortisol is a hormone that the body produces to withstand the demands of extreme stress (physical or mental).

If you are eating at an extreme deficit, working out hard, and not getting sufficient healthy fats in your diet, you can cause a release of cortisol into your system. This will hinder weight loss as your body will burn calories more efficiently.

Looking at your diary, I would suggest that you calculate your TDEE and set your calorie goals for 20% below TDEE. By doing that, you will not have to eat back your exercise calories. I would also suggest manually setting your macro goals 40 carbs, 30 protein, 30 fats.

Finally, this group is managed by two of the most knowledgable users on MFP. It's a good place to go to get information on nutrition and fitness without your responses be convoluted with poorly developed science. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    You say you have been doing this for a month.

Did you start exercising at that time, or have you been doing this intensity of workout before now?

When I start a new workout program that is very intense, I can gain up to 10 pounds and hold it for 4-6 weeks and then I'll start dropping weight and inches.

Your profile says you have lost five pounds. Has that five pounds been in this past month? A reality check here would be that you don't have much to lose and 5 pounds in a month is very good. Weight loss is frustratingly slow when you are close to goal.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I didn't read the whole thread, but I can relate to the OP.

I ran my first 1/2 marathon this summer and I have been hitting the gym, lifting heavy. I also have did several 5ks, 10ks, mud runs, and a triathlon.

The scale stopped moving for me, and I was getting very frustrated. To the point of getting angry over it. I did the only logical course of action. I gave up.

OP, give up. you have goals of distance running, gym. I'm sure you could fit a few other races in there. I monitor my weight, and in fact I have GAINED 5 pounds now. Its a little unnerving, but such is the price of awesomeness.

Did you catch that? I ran a 1/2 marathon at my same weight or heavier.

Finally I should point out that I had to buy a new belt to keep my pants up, because they keep falling down.
    So Stop worrying about the scale. Your to awesome and you don't have time for that!
  • aldiesusan
    Options
    I am no expert but I peeked at your diary. In order to loose the weight, you have to stop eating red meat at nearly every meal. Stick with chicken breast, turkey breast and you'll do better. I also notice no fruits or veggies. You should have four servings of veggies a day. Also stop with all of the condiments and seasonings. They have calories that add up quickly. A typical breakfast should be around 300 calories. Two hard boiled egg, Canadian bacon should be enough. For lunch a nice salad with 6 oz chicken breast, two veggies and olive oil and vinegar as the dressing should be all that is eaten. Bananas have lots of calories in them and natural sugars. Try eating blueberries instead. For dinner try 6 oz turkey breast with two veggies and a wheat roll. Snacks should consist of healthy nuts, a sweet potato, etc. Never eat boxed or processed foods. They are loaded with hidden calories and tons of sodium. I hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. We all know you can do this :-)
  • chefdrewski
    Options
    I learned that I can't consumecalories gained from exercise and need stick with my 1700 Daily intake or I will gain weight. In fact, I try to ignore that info altogether. There is, of course the occassional reward day, usually once every two weeks. Good luck and keep up the good work.
  • rml_16
    Options
    They are loaded with hidden calories

Hidden how?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    As myself and dozens of my running buddies will testify, it's VERY common to put on weight while following a progressive training programme, such as heading towards a half marathon. You're putting increased stress on your body every week unlike when you're in a regular routine.

Part of it's water retention for energy transport and muscle repair, and some is unwitting overeating.

There's a law of diminishing returns when distance running - you don't burn twice as much running 10 miles as you do running 5. Then as you've been doing it week after week, your body gets more and more efficient so you can do more with less fuel. And sometimes you're just So. Damn. Hungry. portion size goes out the window!