Shame in walking part of a 10K

Options
2»

Replies

• langurmonkey
    Options
    If you can run non stop for 4.5 miles then the race atmosphere may well carry you the rest of the way - it is amazing how much of a boost it gives you.

Also, if this is a mass participation event, there will be plenty of people walking some or most of it. In addition, people running a race are really caring about what they are doing, and not what you are doing.

No need to feel any shame whatsoever! Just have some fun :-).
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Shame for who or what? Doing 10k is doing 10k, and is a lot more most people do at all, be it running or walking! I'd say: go for it! If you have to walk to arrive, then walk a short distance and once you feel like it, restart running.
    I did my first 10k in March, I had 2 goals for that day: to run the whole distance and not to be the last one to arrive. I managed to achieve both goals, but forgot to "run". I could have done it faster than I did, but just because I was afraid to not reach my goal, I slowed down too much. The feelings you get when running, people cheering, and other runners "helping you", will make it easier for you to run the whole distance. I didn't believe it, but it actually is true that a race is much easier than training.
    This will be your first one, and your second one will be better for sure!
    Just remember that every mile or km walking is doing more than sitting on your couch! And you can build up and improve. Don't let any shame hinder you from those great feelings of achievement!
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    The only shame would be quitting before you start. You know what they say: Run if you can, walk if you must but DON'T GIVE UP!
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    This thread is SO ENCOURAGING to me! I'm hoping to be able to run my first ever half marathon next February-ish and I've been worrying if I'll be able to run 13.1 miles all the way through. I'm up to about 4 right now. This is making me feel SO MUCH BETTER about my goal knowing that I could, if necessary, take a brief walk break or two throughout the race with no shame. (I probably won't want to though, but at least I know it's an option!)

Thanks everyone, for all of the encouragement! :bigsmile:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no shame in walking part of the distance. If walking a section means the difference between finishing and not finishing, then walk.

<--- says the man who has several times walked a section of races (including 5K, 10K, 10 mile, half marathons)
  • MudRunLvr
    MudRunLvr Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You'll probably do better than you think you will. Race day adrenaline makes a big difference.

Run, walk, crawl... doesn't matter. This is your goal and you're going to achieve it. And you'll feel amazing afterwards.

Good luck!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First one I did was a year ago.
    I had run just once for a mile and a half in the preceeding five years and I was pretty overweight.
    I walked getting for half of it. I also took a diversion to pick my dog up when I saw other people had dogs.
    I still finished only a few minutes behind a friend that took the whole thing at a reasonably gentle jog.
    Plenty were finishing way behind me and no one was bothered by it.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Walk breaks are a great idea.
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html
    www.GymBoss.com

Many (millions?) of people walk/run/walk :-)

Here's a 10K training walk/run/walk
    About what week # is your training at?
    :-)
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html#10k
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! I only started running in March, so I appreciate all the encouraging words. I am planning to sign up for my first 10K today. The race is this coming Saturday. I'm terrified. I finished the bridge to 10K program last week only getting as far as 5.93 miles on my longest run. I did the entire program on a treadmill. In fact I've only run outside for races... three 5Ks. I plan to use some 10K training and do run/walk intervals... 15 mins run, 1 min walk, repeat 4x. That should bring me to the finish line. It's not a very big race, I think approx 300 people. I must admit that I do hope to see others walking! Thank you for not making my walking fears seem unusual.
  • LoudmouthLee
    LoudmouthLee Posts: 358
    Options
    I run/walk with planned intervals and find that I am faster that way than when I run straight through.

This is me too.

^Thirded - Considering I ran my first sub 7:30 mile today after having ran a mile and walk another half mile. Was strange to me, but yeah.

No shame in that game. You finish a 10k and you pushed yourself? Kickass.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    No shame.

I run a lot of races. From 5ks to ultras. I have respect for every single person who lines up at the start, regardless of their pace.

I run/walk with planned intervals and find that I am faster that way than when I run straight through.

This - I got my best times on 10Km's when I had planned 1/10 walk run intervals ....if respected guys in the running world like John Stanton or Jeff Galloway advocate the run/walk interval method, why should anybody feel ashamed doing it???
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    6.2 miles is an accomplishment on its own.

no matter how it gets done, stand tall & be proud!

then tell yourself, 1/2 marathon.....I'm coming for you next!
  • badlydrawnperson
    badlydrawnperson Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Am sooooo glad to read this thread, in a moment of madness I signed up for a 10k to motivate myself, and now it's only a few weeks away I'm in panic mode! I am trying to be organised, I'm following a training plan, but even so I am suffering 'the fear' of looking stupid. Reading this has helped me see that walking is not a failure and some actively choose to put in a walking break - this is a real revelation to me ( as had convinced myself walking at all would equal failure). Thank you all for sharing :smile:
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Wonderful thread, thank you. I've just entered my first 10K, taking place end of November, alongside a slim, sporty, fit friend. She's very kind but I'm at the most fit I've been in my life right now, and lets just say I'm not built to run, more built to stand and fight :bigsmile:

I'm really looking forward to it as running makes me feel great! I'm also reassured now, from reading this thread, that I'll be proud of myself even if I have to walk and she finishes hours ahead of me... though I'm going to make damn sure that doesn't happen!
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Shame in walking part of a 10K? Dude, I couldn't even run HALF of a kilometer. So walking part of it? Or all of it? Just joining up is a reason you should be proud!!