Very frustrated & starting to get depressed

Options

Replies

• SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree with some of the other posters. Make sure you aren't overeating. Track EVERYTHING. Have you used a TDEE calculator to make sure you're eating the right amount for your body? And make sure you aren't overestimating your calories. Also realize that depending on what your workout is, your body may be retaining water for muscle repair. How often do you weigh yourself? I prefer more than once a week since it fluctuates a lot.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Based on the last few days of your diary, I have to agree that you are probably overestimating exercise calories, and therefore eating too much. MFP burns are famous for being grossly inaccurate, like by as much as double. If you are getting your calorie burn numbers from the MFP database, only eat back around half.

Im 5ft3 and 192 pounds...I don't know your stats but you look slimmer than me for sure so, in all likelihood, I'm "allowed" more calories than you. Your breakfasts are about double mine... Go for oatmeal OR yogurt and fruit. Last night for dinner you had hamburger AND steak. Pick one.

My diary is closed but a typical breakdown for me is 250-350 calories for breakfast. 300-400 calories for lunch. 400-600 calories for dinner. And the remainder for snacks in between. I shoot for between 1500-1700 calories, plus some exercise calories, but only eat above 2000 if I've worked out hard and long, like several hours hiking.
  • emjean76
    emjean76 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the yogurts with fruit added. They are too high in sugar. Use plain fat free greek yogurt, ad a bit of honey for sweetness, and stir in fresh fruit. So much tastier and healthy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Stop eating the yogurts with fruit added. They are too high in sugar. Use plain fat free greek yogurt, ad a bit of honey for sweetness, and stir in fresh fruit. So much tastier and healthy!
    So much tastier by whose standards?

If she enjoys the yogurt she's eating, she should eat it. That isn't why she's stalled.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I am no expert but I peeked at your diary. In order to loose the weight, you have to stop eating red meat at nearly every meal. Stick with chicken breast, turkey breast and you'll do better. I also notice no fruits or veggies. You should have four servings of veggies a day. Also stop with all of the condiments and seasonings. They have calories that add up quickly. A typical breakfast should be around 300 calories. Two hard boiled egg, Canadian bacon should be enough. For lunch a nice salad with 6 oz chicken breast, two veggies and olive oil and vinegar as the dressing should be all that is eaten. Bananas have lots of calories in them and natural sugars. Try eating blueberries instead. For dinner try 6 oz turkey breast with two veggies and a wheat roll. Snacks should consist of healthy nuts, a sweet potato, etc. Never eat boxed or processed foods. They are loaded with hidden calories and tons of sodium. I hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. We all know you can do this :-)

This is ridiculous! Red meat isn't going to stall weight loss. If anything, OP needs to increase protein as much as possible.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I only looked back a few days, but for a female I'd say you are eating a lot. Many meals 500-700 cals. I don't know your stats, but I know I eat about 1400 per day. Maybe 1700 when I exercise. What type of exercise do you do to burn 900?? That also is very high but maybe you exercise a lot. I burn about 300-400 exercising (running and weights) and occasionally 600-700 if I do a long run (yesterday I ran 6 miles and it was 637 cals). You eat a lot of processed food and snacks. Try one processed snack a day not several. That is your treat. Everything else should be real food. Veggies, fruit, dairy, proteins, etc. I think you need to decrease your cals to maybe 1800 max.

What? Three meals of 500 a day would be 1500. How, exactly, is that eating "a lot"?
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous! Red meat isn't going to stall weight loss. If anything, OP needs to increase protein as much as possible.
    That was by a blank profile, single post user, I smell a nutrition troll! I certainly couldn't train for a half marathon on a 300-calorie lunch!
  • fatzant
    fatzant Posts: 40
    Options
    keep an eye on your macros, its not all about the calories, some days you seem to go way over your "fat" goal, I try and concentrate on keeping my cals down along with keep fat as low as I can, not all fat is bad you need it just not in excess, best off luck
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    She is eating 3 500-700 cal meals PLUS 500-700 of snacks (most processed). If she were only doing the meals it would work. Have you looked at her diary? I could never lose weight eating that much. Maybe some women can, but it seems like a large amount of food.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    She is eating 3 500-700 cal meals PLUS 500-700 of snacks (most processed). If she were only doing the meals it would work. Have you looked at her diary? I could never lose weight eating that much. Maybe some women can, but it seems like a large amount of food.

Runners require lots of calories and lots of carbs. Training for a half-marathon usually means lots of running!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    The OP averages under 2,000, which most women looking to lose weight could do so on, and only eats that sort of quantity after her half marathon long runs.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Went though your diary and I see the problem.

Switch out your white skim milk for chocolate milk.
    Personally I get horrible gas if I drink cow milk, so I drink chocolate almost milk.

You could drink any of the milks, whole milk even. put some chocolate in there, its a post run WIN!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Went though your diary and I see the problem.

Switch out your white skim milk for chocolate milk.
    Personally I get horrible gas if I drink cow milk, so I drink chocolate almost milk.

You could drink any of the milks, whole milk even. put some chocolate in there, its a post run WIN!

Not everyone will get your sarcasm, bill.

However, you did make me LOL! :wink:
  • wilsoje74
    Options

Runners require lots of calories and lots of carbs. Training for a half-marathon usually means lots of running!
    I'm training for a 10 mile race. That doesn't mean you should eat a bunch of processed junk every day. Not an excuse. Run era need healthy foods to fuel their runs.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I'm training for a 10 mile race. That doesn't mean you should eat a bunch of processed junk every day. Not an excuse. Run era need healthy foods to fuel their runs.

You are how old? How tall?

And clean-eating is not the end-all, be-all method for everyone!
  • wilsoje74
    Options

I'm training for a 10 mile race and do not eat like this. Runners need healthy food to fuel their runs not processed snacks all day. Being a runner does not mean you can eat anything you want and lose weight (unfortunately!)
  • wilsoje74
    Options

I do not eat "clean" but what I see is a diary full of all processed snack type food. I do eat processed food but not every meal and snack. Not sure what my age and height have to do with anything,
  • wilsoje74
    Options
    The OP averages under 2,000, which most women looking to lose weight could do so on, and only eats that sort of quantity after her half marathon long runs.
    I would definately gain eating 2000 per day. Not everyone can lose eating close to 2000 or over a day.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

I do not eat "clean" but what I see is a diary full of all processed snack type food. I do eat processed good but not every meal and snack. Not sure what my age and height have to do with anything,

Age and height determine caloric requirements. The OP is younger and probably taller than you. Just because you are a runner, you can't compare your caloric needs to hers. I looked in the diary too. I was going to recommend that the OP track potassium to counter sodium intake, but from the looks of it, she should be getting plenty.

I have seen far worse "processed snack type food" intake in the diaries of many successful users on this site. I don't think the OP's problem is processed food.

Actually, odds are that the OP is in cortisol overload from excessive training. It's probably pretty likely she needs to take a break from her fitness routine.
  • littlekat1
    littlekat1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Have you been to your doctor and had a physical lately? Have your blood work done and have your thyroid checked. See what your Doc says. Mine told me to stay under 1400 calories. I know how hard it is and how depressing it can be when the scale doesn't move, but stick with it. You are getting healthier and that is what matters. :happy: