How many times can a person start over??

Options

Replies

• HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's not about the speed you're going but the direction you're going in.

Why did you give up before?

If I have a bad day, I eat too much or I'm lazy and can't be bothered to exercise, I draw a line under it and carry on with my tomorrow. I don't berate myself for it, I don't allow feeling sluggish or lethargic, or the possibility of soreness because I skipped a day, stop me from getting back on the horse. I don't want a bad day to turn into a bad week, or month, or year.

Even if I underperform today because of my choices, tomorrow or the next day I can do better. It's a blip in the road, but it's no reason to quit entirely.
  • JumpingJacs
    JumpingJacs Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Love it! I reposted it on fb. Thanks
  • Luv2Smile55
    Luv2Smile55 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's NEVER too late to try again. Please don't give up on yourself. We are living a "marathon not a sprint." Yesterday is over, tomorrow is yet to be. Live for today and give it your best shot. You CAN do it!!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes! I can't tell you how many times I tried to lose weight in the last 25 years or so years of my life. Starting with joining WW in my early teens through Atkins, diet pills, shakes, WW again, etc etc. Nothing stuck until I was truly ready. (hm, truly is one of those words that looks wrong LOL)

The one thing that really helped me was realizing that I didn't have to starve myself. I still have pizza and chocolate but eat them in reasonable portions that fit my calorie and macro goals (mostly, I do go over now and then). I also experimented with making some of my favorite homemade dishes healther and tried new lighter recipes too.

Also, I started paying attention to how certain foods made me feel. Sure carbs are yummy but they don't stick to my ribs like protein and healthy fats do. Or I at least have to make sure I pick more "slow" carbs like fruits, veg and whole grains.

Just remember, one bad day (or even a few bad days) doesn't mean you have to quit, it just means you have to make sure you get right back on track the next day. Learn from your mistakes and keep moving forward.

Best of luck!
  • michaelp_
    Options
    I know a man who has lost a lot of weight and kept it off. EB is 64 years old, he lost over 100 lbs. (255 to 135) about 25 years ago and has not gained any of it back, this is how he does it: He eats nothing that is not healthy. You know what I'm talking about here: no chips, ice cream, heavy sauces, deserts, fatty meats, butter... If you think it is not health, it probably isn't. Half of everything he does eat is vegetables (fresh or frozen). The rest is small amounts of fruit, whole grains and lean meats and dairy. Now, here's the kicker, his food is very tasty, he is a good cook. You walk away from his dinner table feeling satisfied and healthy.

These are some of his tips:
    * He weighs himself everyday, when he gets up in the morning. He allows a 3 lb. variation in his weight. If he hits 138 he cuts back on that days food.
    * He eats no more than 1800-2000 calories a day.
    * EB exercises and average of 1 hour per day and does not eat more because he has exercised. His exercise is varied to avoid injuries and boredom.
    * Lunch is very light, usually, carrots, celery, and other fresh veggies (no ranch dip!).
    * Deserts are usually something like apples with dry cheese or sliced mango.
    * There are only 2 holidays where he can eat more: Christmas and Thanksgiving, and not the days after or the at the parties before. Only the holiday meal.
    * He says it took him a good five years before he even began to like eating and exercising this way. It was not easy. FIVE YEARS just to get used to it.

Are you willing to do that?

Good luck, stay in touch, let us know how it goes.
  • JulesAlloggio
    JulesAlloggio Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    as many times as it takes till you realize that what you're doing the last time didn't work. so change it up and get your act together!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I am still fairly active with lots of hiking and outdoor activity BUT it takes such a toll on me, carrying a small person on my back on me all day and night.
    Getting your calorie deficit in is all that matters. Maybe do it mainly with diet to start with and build up the exercise very, very gradually as you get fitter.

Good luck"! :flowerforyou:
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Start over as many times as it takes until you've had enough and give it all you've got! I was the same as you...lost then gained back a portion each year...this year I am determined not to let that happen and so far so good....usually by now I've fallen way off track...trust me, as long as you get back on your horse and don't let t defeat you, you will eventually get there! Good things take time :) This is year 4 for me :)
  • danarandallreed
    danarandallreed Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    As many times as it takes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I start over every Monday whether I need to or not. It's the secret to my success.

You're never done with this process. Your eating will never be perfect. You will never get to your scale goal and be able to return to eating the way you do now. You will never meet your fitness goals and be able to stop working out.

Sometimes you have to start over three times in one day. Sometimes you'll cruise for a period of weeks or months before you veer off course and need to take note of where you drifted and make a plan for getting back to where you need to be.

How many times? How many times are you going to go off plan? Take that number and add one, my friend.
  • Just_JT
    Just_JT Posts: 2
    Options
    I also start over every single day. There are only two days in the year when nothing can be done, one is called yesterday and the other is called tomorrow.

Just take it one day at a time and soon you will just do it because you love it!
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as starting over, it is deflating to start over again and again. I have been at this for 20 years, (yikes), but everyday I keep trying to get it right and I'm more and more determined to win this battle forever. If you keep thinking that you're starting over again and again, it is de-motivating, you're just continually working on getting healthy forever! See isn't that better. You can do this, we can do this. We will do this.
  • graver473
    graver473 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We can start over as many times as we need to! I'm with you buddy - I have been on the lose/gain cycle for far too long. Feel free to add me!!
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Maybe you're not starting over. Perhaps it's just a continuous journey with some ups and downs. There will be good and bad days, weeks, months, or even years. C'est la vie, eh? I am glad you're here. Let's do what we can to tip the scale toward the good!
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    As many as it takes!

Since the beginning of summer I have been over eating pretty much every weekend so when monday comes I'm starting over. I hope this tread ends with the season as I too would like to lose more weight!
  • goodnamegone
    Options
    That means you have lost 10 pounds so well done. Keep going. Maybe if it helps go to OA meetings they cost almost nothing and it will get you a program to help combat food addiction. And if that's not for you then ok keep hanging out HERE and stick close to positive people who support you on your goal to have a healthy balanced body.

You start again as many times as it takes, that's it. Keep going. Wishing the absolute very best for you.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I am yes, starting over yet again. I lost 35 lbs this year only to gain 25 back. Before I surrender my body and my wallet to a personal trainer I am going to try one more time. Ideally, I need to lose 100 lbs. I am still fairly active with lots of hiking and outdoor activity BUT it takes such a toll on me, carrying a small person on my back on me all day and night. Anyway, I have to confess to someone my true weight since I hide it from my doctor and from friends (who always underguess me probably out of sympathy lol). I am 351.5 and so here I go again.

Thanks for everyone's honesty on this sight. I do not feel so alone.

Every time you try, it makes that part of you stronger. That's how I quit smoking many years ago. I hike and walk outdoors a lot, too. There's something fabulous about being outside under the open sky. My two cents: work out your diet and plan your meals. I'm not much of a cook (I call my food "campfire style"), but I found food I am willing to eat, that keeps me from getting hungry, and I'm getting results. Buy your food for the week and prepare the basics ahead of time so something healthy will always be available. Good luck! You can do this.
  • Juanwi
    Juanwi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Here's a good quote to digest: When you are sick and tired of starting over, stop giving up!

Great quote! Love this!
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    How many times can a person start over? As many times as they need, for the rest of their lives. People often forget that "they are what they eat". To achieve optimal health and avoid future disease we have to reprogram how we think. It's not just about losing weight - that's the side benefit. It's about having optimal health and quality of life the rest of our lives.

1. Don't diet. Just make better choices.
    2. Write down all the foods you love. Then, work out substitutes for them. (e.g., I loooove chocolate ice cream. Instead, I make myself a chocolate-peanut butter-banana shake that's just as good. 2 frozen bananas, 1 c. almond milk, 1 TBSP cacao (chocolate) powder, 1 heaping TBSP peanut butter. Blend. Super quick, super easy and totally YUMMY!)
    3. Eat enough protein - it's the building block that your body needs to heal and repair. Some days I eat more, some days less. I try to listen to my body.
    4. When you binge or eat the wrong thing, simply make the next meal a good one and don't look at it as you failed. It took me years to "shake it off" and not feel like I'd completely blown it. This is what ultimately lead to my ability to lose the weight and keep it off. It's not that I said "I will never binge again." When I gave in, I simply started saying, "That was yummy!" and moved on, not letting it derail me for the rest of the day or even weeks.
    5. Do your research: www.westonaprice.org, www.wellnessmama.com, etc.

Good luck!
  • Trissyboo
    Trissyboo Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Everyday is a great day to start over. Stand on the fact that you are trying and that really does count for something! Cheers