How do you deal with your clothes not fitting??

Options
Hi, I'm a bit confused here and need help. MFP is working and I've lost 4 lb and finding cothes not fitting anymore, which is fabulous, but also sad as: at the weekend I had to dress up and found my favourite dresses looked more Luke baggy sacs. How have you dealt with this? Do u just not buy clothes until i reach my goal weight?? Give yourself treats along the way... ?But if I buy new clothes now, if I keep going as I have they also won't fit: please tell me how u have dealt with this, I would appreciate it :)

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    4lbs had a dress baggy on you??
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    best solution is Good Will or second hand stores ... unless you have a bunch of money and can afford alterations :)
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I buy an outfit when I need it. I've been brave and getting stuff a size smaller meaning they fit snug LOL this way as I'm losing weight I can wear the item longer,

Holding off on my big shopping spree until my goal weight
  • sandyvanderstelt
    Options
    if you NEED something buy it, other wise just wait. or buy a size smaller, like a goal dress, thats good motivation. i've lost 70 lbs and had to buy lots of clothes along the way lol. but i tried to not spend a lot cuz i knew i was still moving down. get a belt :) and good job on losing 4 lbs!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Also... if you have good friends that are willing to loan you a dress or two for a special occasion. Goodwill / St. Vinent's dePaul were my favorite shops (plus clearance racks... loved losing weight to where I could actually shop from the clearance racks :bigsmile: ). I would suggest buying something more in a classic style so that when it drapes it doesn't look shabby. IMO. Congratulations on your loss and your baggy clothes. :bigsmile:
  • KarenWantsABikini
    Options
    I had the same problem not too long ago, all my favorite pants were too big. I made the decision to donate them to the second hand shop, knowing that i am not going to get big again ! No Way !!

so now i know that i am going to lose more weight, until then i shop at the second hand shop, especially jeans... when i hit my goal im going to splurge out big time !!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Try goodwill, consignment shops, Ross / Marshalls, yard sales etc. You can buy a whole new wardrobe several times 50 cents at a time!

Try things like wrap around dresses, tie back shirts, wrap around skirts / shirts, things with elastic high waists or a line or whatever they are called - things that can sort of grow or shrink with you as you lose weight so you're not buying new clothes all the time.
  • Squash97
    Options
    If you really love something, I say take it to your local cleaners or tailors and they will take it in for you. Sometimes that can be much cheaper than a new wardrobe - especially if you really love something.
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just deal with wearing my clothes until something just looks completely ridiculous and too big for me. I figure that a little loose is not so bad -but if it's totally falling off your body then it's best to let it go. I have already donated a lot of clothing as I've been losing weight. And, I've only purchased clothes on sale or clearance because I know that I plan to continue losing weight so I shouldn't invest too much. Save the big purchases for when you get to your goal weight. That being said, do make some clothing purchases along the way because when you do see how great you look in smaller sizes it really motivates you to keep working towards your goal. Like others have mentioned doing, I have bought some clothes in smaller sizes because I knew that I would fit into them sooner than later and it's great incentive...just be realistic about it. Unless you have money to burn, just be smart about what pieces you choose to spend money on. Congrats on your weight loss so far and happy clothes hunting!
  • kerrera
    Options
    I have charitied, donated to friends and ebay'd the good stuff.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Go through old clothes! I have a ton of clothes from 10+ years ago that I kept around that I couldn't wear. I can wear all of them now (and a few are too big!) so that has been my biggest thing. Belts help on pants that are too big... at a certain point you just can't wear them anymore. I'm giving all mine away to a friend who is losing weight too. And I only bought a few things that I really needed- a few outfits for work and a t-shirt or two, one dress for the weddings I have coming up. Buy the least amount possible so that you can get all new clothes when you reach your goal! =)
  • Beebee78
    Options
    I am selling my clothes on ebay as they get too big for me, but one thing I did do is that I have a favourite pair of jeans. Before I started this journey, I bought them in a ridiculously small size for me ( but not so small it wasn't an attainable goal) so that as I get smaller I can wear them :) xxx
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend... at least until you get to your goal weight. The way I see it, no sense spending full price when it will be falling off of me in a couple months. Just buy it secondhand and then donate it back when I'm done with it :laugh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI... There are RENTAL places too! If you are in need of one of THOSE dresses for a single occasion there are places that rent formal gowns, cocktail dresses, and bridesmaid dresses. It's not just the guys that can go cheap and rent for formal occasions any more! I actually found out about it thru a Tux rental shop.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Yes, I was obviously buying clothes more baggy to cover me and now they are draping me. I also lost some weight before I joined MFP, so you can add that to the 4 lb
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thank-you to all that replied to my post. Some great tips and inspiration and well done yourselves for loosing weight and knowing what to do!!
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think I like my clothes being super big on me. makes me feel like I'm actually making some progress. However I've been digging to the back of the closet, finding clothes that were shoved there because they didn't fit well. I love putting them on and they're now too loose.
  • Shawna_831
    Options
    I buy clothes as I need them.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    there's a consignment shop in my town where i've taken my clothes that don't fit any longer and the shop will give me store credit for what sells. then i can use that to buy up more things to wear until i've reached my goal weight and then i'll go on a shopping spree lol. (or in my case, more likely a sewing spree)
    for basics and wardrobe essentials though (basic black and whites) i do like to purchase these new though as an exception to the rule. i just look for them at Ross or some other discount store instead of traipsing off to Dillard's or Macy's every time something doesn't fit.
    There's also a store called Plato's Closet that will pay you for your newer, gently worn garments and you can use that money on other things there. Considering your clothes are baggy after a 4lb loss, you are probably in a smaller size range and would find a wider selection at places like Plato's Closet.

oh yeah and i forgot - check the tags on clothes you want to buy and look for nylon or spandex. this tells you there's some stretch to it and will last longer.