To eat or not to eat...

Options
I have been back and forth with MFP for a while. I lost 12lbs from Jan-Feb earlier this year. Then I recently tried to lose more. Instead, I'm gaining weight. Yes, I have lost inches so that's good. I'm sure that I am gaining muscle. I can't seem to figure out though if I should eat back my exercise calories. I know this is an ongoing debate. I was eating 1240/day and did not eat back my exercise calories. I recently changed my goals and now eat 1200. I understand that 1200 is already a low number and should be used with little/no exercise. Anyways...eating back calories is harder than it seems. I eat filling meals and healthy snacks. I am not hungry to eat another...say 400 calories...just to match that net calorie number.

Long story short...what should I do? Eat it back or don't? When I eat back my calories, I catch myself eating unhealthier foods just because it is more calories. I just cannot seem to wrap my head around it

Advice...ready...get set...GO!

Replies

• herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'll go with eat them back. If you have no issue with allergies a small handful of nuts can get you halfway there. Have a couple tablespoons of nut butter or some full fat cheese. If you don't use oils when you cook try adding olive oil to your meat or veggies.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1200 calories, you are not likely gaining muscle, at least not a significant amount. If you've changed something recently (like less than a month or so) your body could be adapting. If your logging is accurate, you might want to have some bloodwork done if you're gaining.

If you're on the 1200 calories plan, I'd eat back at least 1/2 of exercise calories, probably. Eat more caloric foods like avocado, nuts and eggs. Eat full fat dairy (or 2%) instead of nonfat, etc.
  • Alr080389
    Alr080389 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just changed my diary settings today which dropped me down to 1200. I tend to gain muscle easily (at least I think so). I do more calisthenics than silly little walking workouts. Anyways...nuts and cheese are a good idea. I tend to not add cheese to sandwiches because it's unnecessary calories. Makes sense to eat it now! :-) Good advice.
  • GODfidence
    GODfidence Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    4 table spoons peanut butter is about 400 calories,and essential fats,protein,and fiber.
    That should do the job!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    it is such a mind game..but seems you are not eating enough. I'm eating all mine back..just because it makes me sane. I'm losing slow..but still losing. can't believe I am eating more than 2000 calories a day. but so far so good.
  • FrankiesSaysRelax
    FrankiesSaysRelax Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough- you definitely need to eat back your workout calories. Also, you're not gaining muscle on a calorie deficit. Most likely you're retaining water from working out since you started back up again. If you're not hungry from working out- try eating more calorie dense food to make up for the extra calories without eating much more quantity wise.
  • Alr080389
    Alr080389 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I don't think of the obvious...you're right, peanut butter is an easy way to eat back calories. Celery & peanut butter used to be my favorite snack as kid. Keep sharing good snack ideas!

I will eat them back this week and see if I notice a change. I read another article about sodium and water weight gain. I notice that I eat very salty foods/condiments and add salt to my fruits (cantaloupe) and veggies. I will try to cut back on this...even though nuts are usually salty.

:-)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Eat the calories.

MFP calculates your estimated needs NOT INCLUDING exercise. When you do exercise, you need more fuel for that. You still have the same calorie deficit.

1200 (food you ate) - 400 (amount you burned) = 800 + 400 (more food for fuel) = 1200.

See, you still have the same calorie deficit to lose weight.