GMO Labeling?

Options
Any like minded people out there? I'm volunteering for YES on 522 here in WA state to get GMO's on food labels. We will be voting in Nov. It is similar to Prop 37 that unfortunately failed in CA.
I am overweight, my adult kids are overweight :( I can't help but feel it is in part to the crap that our FDA and USDA allow to be called food. I now know better so am doing better but my body and mind crave the addicting crap that we ate for years. It's a battle but with good food I can feel my body and mind reacting better. We really are what we eat. Simple statement that I ignored for years.
Looking for others that are on this same journey. Anyone out there on MFP?
Haters don't bother... you have to learn on your own and it won't be picky a fight with me. :)

Replies

• mikeberthold
    mikeberthold Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing that companies genetically modified food to make it addictive which is the only reason you and your adult children are overweight?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh: blaming being overweight on something other than calorie surplus or a medical condition? This ought to be good.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see GMO labeling, but I don't just want a "GMO PRODUCT OMG!!!!" sticker. I'd like to know WHAT the modification/s was/were. Genetically modified doesn't always equal bad to me. It would just be nice to be able to make an informed decision.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I believe in free will, as in free will to eat what I want, whether it is good or bad!
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Are you arguing that companies genetically modified food to make it addictive which is the only reason you and your adult children are overweight?

I clearly stated "I can't help but feel it is IN PART to the crap that our FDA and USDA allow to be called food." I made the mistake of thinking anything produced as food was ok to be eating. My fault for not investigating and knowing better.

I point to this for more info on how, yes GMO's are addicting. http://gmo-awareness.com/
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    :huh: blaming being overweight on something other than calorie surplus or a medical condition? This ought to be good.

I'm sorry, did I do that? No I did not. But GMO's are a factor in our weight gain.
    You sound a bit like a hater... bye, bye. Best Wishes to you.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options

I clearly stated "I can't help but feel it is IN PART to the crap that our FDA and USDA allow to be called food." I made the mistake of thinking anything produced as food was ok to be eating. My fault for not investigating and knowing better.

I point to this for more info on how, yes GMO's are addicting. http://gmo-awareness.com/

Nothing on that site pointed towards how GMO's are addictive (closest is an article explaining how the extra sugar and fat in processed food makes it more addictive. No duh). Any peer reviewed scientific studies say they are? I'll just wait here. I'm sure that you will deliver, OP.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    I'd like to see GMO labeling, but I don't just want a "GMO PRODUCT OMG!!!!" sticker. I'd like to know WHAT the modification/s was/were. Genetically modified doesn't always equal bad to me. It would just be nice to be able to make an informed decision.
    Agreed! We have a right to know everything that is in the products, GMO's or not. GMO's are actually included on labels in 60+ countries already. Some by US companies that don't do the same for us here in the USA.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    I believe in free will, as in free will to eat what I want, whether it is good or bad!
    Of course free will. But that is hard to do when GMO's are being hidden from us. I unfortunately wasn't raised on and did not realize until too late how to pick healthy foods.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%! I try my best to avoid anything genetically modified when I can, but it's difficult (especially for me being a student - organic food is a lot more expensive).

Also, you will probably end up with a lot of haters on this site - ignore them. I get the impression that most of them are aiming to be body builders to an extent, thus still eat most of the foods that are modified. That is more than likely over-generalizing, but that's what I've seen so far. Either way, ignore the hate, because it's rampant. There is more than enough evidence out there that anyone can Google it, find it, and make an informed decision on it without being an *kitten*-hat.

Feel free to friend me! I would love to have support and give support to a fellow non-GMO/GMO labeling supporter. :smile:
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, did I do that? No I did not. But GMO's are a factor in our weight gain.

Oh yeah, I must be a hater or a bully or whatever because I choose personal responsibility over placing blame onto the food industry. :ohwell:
  • mom2kidds
    Options

Nothing on that site pointed towards how GMO's are addictive (closest is an article explaining how the extra sugar and fat in processed food makes it more addictive. No duh). Any peer reviewed scientific studies say they are? I'll just wait here. I'm sure that you will deliver, OP.

As stated in OP I'm looking to group up with like minded people. That is my goal, not to argue with or educate others here. I prefer face to face for education which is why I am a volunteer for YES on 522.

I offer http://www.responsibletechnology.org/ to you. This has enough info to keep you busy for a bit. :)
    After that if you truly care to learn more google for GMO info or a group in your area that might provide a face to face with you.

Best wishes to you.
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I am with you 100%! I try my best to avoid anything genetically modified when I can, but it's difficult (especially for me being a student - organic food is a lot more expensive).

Also, you will probably end up with a lot of haters on this site - ignore them. I get the impression that most of them are aiming to be body builders to an extent, thus still eat most of the foods that are modified. That is more than likely over-generalizing, but that's what I've seen so far. Either way, ignore the hate, because it's rampant. There is more than enough evidence out there that anyone can Google it, find it, and make an informed decision on it without being an *kitten*-hat.

Feel free to friend me! I would love to have support and give support to a fellow non-GMO/GMO labeling supporter. :smile:

You do realize that almost everything you eat has been genetically modified in some way, shape, or form, correct? Either bred for flavor, longevity, or other factors. We have been doing it since the dawn of time. We took one crop that was really good, and tried to make sure that crop pollinated our other crops. It's kind of how wheat became our staple crop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#History
  • mom2kidds
    Options

Oh yeah, I must be a hater or a bully or whatever because I choose personal responsibility over placing blame onto the food industry. :ohwell:

Your tone from the get go is not nice. I clearly asked for like minded people, which you are not.
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options

I would sign onto this.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't live in WA so won't be voting. But I am in favor of labeling GMO foods and have made my congressional representatives aware. I do not believe all GMO foods are bad or that they make people fat. I just feel the public has the right to know what they are buying.
  • mom2kidds
    Options

You do realize that almost everything you eat has been genetically modified in some way, shape, or form, correct? Either bred for flavor, longevity, or other factors. We have been doing it since the dawn of time. We took one crop that was really good, and tried to make sure that crop pollinated our other crops. It's kind of how wheat became our staple crop. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat#History

I'm quite familiar with the genetic engineering of wheat. I purchase mostly organic products to avoid GMO's as much as possible. I have given up some foods that I can't get organic.
    I am not here looking for you to educate me. If you are not like minded as I stated you should really move on to another topic.
    Thanks for your concern though.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think there should be labeling, you should be able to know what you are eating. If so many other countries are against it, there may be a reason. The powerful Montesanto lobby is preventing this labeling because they know it will hurt sales. Think about peanut and other food allergies that barely existed 20 years ago, The tremendous increase in processed foods have a direct correlation to this increase.

Dont get me wrong though, I dont think GMO are all bad. If we come up with better crops, with more nutritional value, that can feed more people ... great. But I just want to know, if the DNA of a fish scale is being added to a tomato plant to make the skin more durable for resale and that its not rushed to market by food giants looking for profitability.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I wish you luck with this OP, this sounds like it can benefit society as a whole, however due to corporate greed and the powerful wanting to control us, who knows how far we can go. At least with this idea going thru, we can stop blaming others and taking responsibility for our own actions on what we eat.
  • mom2kidds
    Options

Yay! A new friend! Thank you!!! :love:
    I struggle with the expense of organic too, we have to make choices and don't get everything we want. My daughter just moved back to college and is trying to stay organic, on her dime this go round (2nd BA before grad school). We'll see how that goes for her soon. We still eat out occasionally which always includes GMO's, moderation is the key for us right now.