Weights for beginner exerciser or not?

Options
For someone who has just restarted exercising about 11 days would you suggest I going into weights or should I wait a little longer? I'm thinking about getting accessed by the gym again.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    As a "beginner" as well myself. I say go for it. I haven't done any weight training in about 10 years... and I started the NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting for Women) a couple of weeks ago and it has helped me stick with it a lot longer than just about anything else. With the exception of Zumba, every thing else I do once and then don't do it again for a long time.

I would just recommend having a plan (which is why I went for New Rules).
  • Noble029
    Options
    Absolutely! There's no reason why a "beginner" can't lift. You have to start somewhere right? Plus, if weight loss is one of your goals, building lean tissue will actually aid since it metabolizes faster than other tissues.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I always find this question a little funny. When I first started working out I did both cardio and weights, and I dreaded doing the cardio. I never thought "since I am just starting, should I do weights".
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Definitely! the sooner you start the better your results will be.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    your always going to be a beginner until after you've done it for awhile so you might as well get started lol
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Go big or go home, my friend. Jumping in wont get easier, even if you spend a year warming up on the elliptical. I wish I wouldn't have waited 8 years to start lifting :)
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights now! I've only been lifting for two months and I've never felt better and I'm definitely seeing and feeling the change. Lifting is love!!
  • bauhausfrau
    bauhausfrau Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I tried to work myself up to heavy squats as soon as possible. It makes such a difference in your body shape from your core to your feet, and I don't know about everyone else, but I do 5 sets of squats & deadlifts alternating and I am sweating like I did cardio by the end. I also started pushups as soon as possible, but my upper body is not making the same progress as my lower body. Lifting weights is so easy, so much easier than cardio & your improvement is so rapid in the beginning that I think it's really motivating. Cardio is the fat burning winner overall, but for a lot of people it takes over a month of daily exercise to see any improvement at all if that's all you're doing. It can be defeating to work so hard without seeing results. I say lift ASAP to keep yourself on track & really change your body.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys.