Anyone else not counting calories?

Options
I have been making a good effort this summer to refrain from emotional eating and clean living/eating. I ride my bike an hour a day and eat healthy. I have not been counting calories. I weigh myself approximately once a week but aim for weighing once a month. I have lost 16 pounds in 2 month and I would like to loose 20 more to make it into the healthy BMI range. I had an eating disorder in my 20s and while I no longer binge, I tend to overeat when stressed. Counting calories or focusing on numbers too much tends to make me want to binge, and frankly I rather be overweight than to start binge eating again. Anyone else finding it easier to loose weight and staying sane when not counting calories or keeping a food diary?

Replies

• Melissa22G
    Melissa22G Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    A lot of the people using this site use it to either:

1. Count calories
    2. Log work outs
    3. Chit chat/ banter

You may not find many rowing in the same boat as you OP.

BUT, do what works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • mrmagee3
    mrmagee3 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have been making a good effort this summer to refrain from emotional eating and clean living/eating. I ride my bike an hour a day and eat healthy. I have not been counting calories. I weigh myself approximately once a week but aim for weighing once a month. I have lost 16 pounds in 2 month and I would like to loose 20 more to make it into the healthy BMI range. I had an eating disorder in my 20s and while I no longer binge, I tend to overeat when stressed. Counting calories or focusing on numbers too much tends to make me want to binge, and frankly I rather be overweight than to start binge eating again. Anyone else finding it easier to loose weight and staying sane when not counting calories or keeping a food diary?

I don't count calories at all.
  • timwhoa
    timwhoa Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I dont count calories either, I have lost 62 pounds in 3 months
  • luckyjuls
    luckyjuls Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    That's amazing progress. 8 pounds a month is no joke. You've found something that works for you and that's awesome.

I think that a lot of Paleo-followers no longer count calories once they get all their macros in order.

Good job on your weight loss!
  • onandoff
    onandoff Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories, never did. I do log some of the exercising, not always cause I also keep it on paper, so...
    I basically use the site for info.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I count here and there. I do a good job of portion control and good choices. My weight is slowly coming off so it's working. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Quitting the counting calories.

I lost a bunch in my first 6 months here, ate very little and gained it all back. I have spent the last year on different calories goals and no success losing what I gained back. Becoming obsessed with calorie counting sabatoged me and now I am focusing more on exercise and portions.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Counting calories stresses me out, but I still log occasionally just to get an idea of where I'm at for the day (lately I've been undereating more than anything).

I was really good about counting a while back, though, and I got good at eyeballing portion sizes and estimating calories, so I still have a general idea of what I'm eating even if I'm not tracking every little thing.
  • lolsauce
    lolsauce Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I actually started using myfitnesspall last year and used it to count calories and track my exercise. After everything started getting really busy I stopped counting calories while still remaining conscious of what I ate. I went around 6 months without counting calories and my weight remained completely stagnant. It was really frustrating so I decided to count calories again and already I'm losing weight. Everyone is different so different things work for different people.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I actually started using myfitnesspall last year and used it to count calories and track my exercise. After everything started getting really busy I stopped counting calories while still remaining conscious of what I ate. I went around 6 months without counting calories and my weight remained completely stagnant. It was really frustrating so I decided to count calories again and already I'm losing weight. Everyone is different so different things work for different people.

That was me. I was losing weight consistently while logging. I stopped logging to see if I had learned enough to keep it up. I did for a month...then I started either staying the same weight or gaining a couple of pounds. I am now back to logging. Having trouble getting the weight lost going though. :(
  • MishelW
    MishelW Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I think for me the logging of what I eat helps me really SEE what I am consuming THAT in itself is a wake up call. Once I realized how unhealthy my choices where THAT is when I decided to do something SERIOUSLY. I tried the Calorie thing and don't care for it. I'm doing the Atkins now and we will see. But just like anything diet is individual and a learning process for those who don't know how to eat healthy. Especially those of us who used to have eating disorders... Luck to you my friend!
    Add me for support! :-)