GMO Labeling?

Options

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my last post to bring info to any requesting more... that was not my original intent. perhaps this will give you more info that you desire http://www.criigen.org/SiteEn/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=89&Itemid=132

still hoping for like minded people and I see a few have come along. my main thought was to link with others trying to lose weight while avoiding GMO's. what are your tips and tricks?

LMAO Seralini, author of the GMO's cause cancer in rats, that was widely denounced by just about everyone except the tinfoil hat crowd?
    I'm wondering who you may be working for?

Obviously Monsanto, since clearly if someone points out all the nonsense you've posted, they must work for some biotech firm or biotech advocacy group
  • mom2kidds
    mom2kidds Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    This is not locating a desired gene within the corn and turning it on. It is injecting toxins into the corn seed.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mercola/bt-corn_b_2442072.html

Seriously, I'm out. I've got housework more important than some of you. jk I hate housework! :bigsmile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This is not locating a desired gene within the corn and turning it on. It is injecting toxins into the corn seed.

Seriously, I'm out. I've got housework more important than some of you. jk I hate housework! :bigsmile:

Lol Mercola, you're on a roll with the quacks, William Davis, Seralini and now Mercola
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

Lol Mercola, you're on a roll with the quacks, William Davis, Ceralini and now Mercola

Beat me to it! :laugh:

http://www.quackwatch.com/11Ind/mercola.html
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    my last post to bring info to any requesting more... that was not my original intent. perhaps this will give you more info that you desire http://www.criigen.org/SiteEn/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=89&Itemid=132

still hoping for like minded people and I see a few have come along. my main thought was to link with others trying to lose weight while avoiding GMO's. what are your tips and tricks?

LMAO Seralini, author of the GMO's cause cancer in rats, that was widely denounced by just about everyone except the tinfoil hat crowd?

Obviously Monsanto, since clearly if someone points out all the nonsense you've posted, they must work for some biotech firm or biotech advocacy group
    You work for Monsanto? Those guys are totally evil! I only work for the Illuminati. They pay well, and their benefits include magical protection from the evil of GMO's.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    I sorry my reaching out to other like minded people is bothering some of you. Please move on to another topic since we are not like minded.
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    I would like GMO foods to be labled so that I can make an informed choice when I go shopping.

It sounds good in theory but the simple fact is that the average consumer lacks the scientific knowledge to correctly interpret the risks (if any) and, as is frequently demonstrated on this forum and others, is too easily swayed by misinformation and scaremongering in the popular media (for proof just look at the number of threads re raspberry ketones, green coffee extract and all other manner of 21st century snake oil)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see GMO labeling, but I don't just want a "GMO PRODUCT OMG!!!!" sticker. I'd like to know WHAT the modification/s was/were. Genetically modified doesn't always equal bad to me. It would just be nice to be able to make an informed decision.

This.. although I am of the "avoid GMO entirely" camp. however if they did tell me what they did to modify it.. i might be ok with some of it..
    I believe in free will, as in free will to eat what I want, whether it is good or bad!

This has what to do with anything? Labeling simply allows you to make your own informed choice rather then guessing if it's GMO you are ok with or not ok with.

I agree also that additives.. whether they are labeled GMO or simply added in later.. are addictive and assist in weight gain and retention. Sugar.. and things like sugar.. are addictive and often times hidden in the foods we consume. Unless you are *taught* to look for them, you can't lose weight. because that healthy meal you think you are eating is full of chemical and sugar and is really assisting in weight gain rather then weight loss.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree with this comment from another site. Good info.

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flaxseed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."

Oh my. Wheat does not cause celiac disease. If it helps you to blame the govt or big corporations for your weight problems, then that's fine. Whatever works for you. But if you really seek good nutritional information, you need to do research a little further. I'd also suggest looking at more objective sources.

Oh my, what kind of expert are you?

I don't need to be an expert to see the misinformation in that post. Celiac is a disease that prevents processing gluten, which is a protien found in wheat and other grains. Wheat doesn't cause it any more than almonds cause allergies to tree nuts.

Seriously, you seem to have a genuine desire to learn. I would suggest you look for information on more neutral sites. University sites are usually good sources. Or those run by medical or research groups. Look for sites that provide a public service rather than trying to sell a book or movie or other things.

And maybe chill out a little. No need to attack everyone that is not "like minded".
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I sorry my reaching out to other like minded people is bothering some of you. Please move on to another topic since we are not like minded.

It's not "bothering" me at all. I just, frankly, see no reason to get up in arms about the issue. Sure, I agree that a lot of the companies that develop GMOs are sort of greedy and sometimes underhanded...but that's how companies are. To survive, they have to make a profit, so they have to watch their bottom line and protect their investments. But like I said, I understand genetics and I know that there is little, if anything, to fear from GMOs. So, like I said, sure, lobby away for labeling if that's what floats your boat and makes you feel better, but I think there are bigger -- or at least other -- fish to fry, personally.
  • mom2kidds
    Options
    I agree with this comment from another site. Good info.

"From listening to an interview on http://www.itsrainmakingtime.com (Kim Greenhouse) I found out that wheat genes were modified some 40-50 yrs ago and it is not the wheat people used to eat way back then.

Dr. William Davis, the Author of Wheat Belly explained that it now has 10X the yield & a much shorter growing season, making it a super carb making people fatter and fatter….and it causes celiac disease which destroys the intestines….and it can cause rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, Hashimoto’s, weight gain, diabetes, Chrone’s disease and colitis etc

The wheat of today was transformed and is no longer edible without high chance of disease: Wheat used to have 28 chromosomes. It now has 42 chromosomes.Glydin protein in this wheat of today, is an appetite stimulant and they put it in everything from soups to desserts….Since hearing this interview, I quit eating any breads, even organic made from wheat of any type including sprouted breads, and breads made from Spelt, Kamut, and other types of wheat. I found that I was “addicted” to it. Once I started eating some, I had 2, 3, 5, 7 pieces….I thought this was weird…..I was never “addicted” to bread before……I noticed that all other products,for example crackers made of buckwheat all contain rice flour which , according to Dr. Davis, raise blood sugar even more than wheat….so I make my own dehydrated vegetable crackers using an almond flour and ground flaxseed base plus red/yellow peppers or tomatoes/basil or apple/fennel and they are delicious! ….I am passing on this info to everyone I know. Please do your own investigation and pass this on…."

Oh my. Wheat does not cause celiac disease. If it helps you to blame the govt or big corporations for your weight problems, then that's fine. Whatever works for you. But if you really seek good nutritional information, you need to do research a little further. I'd also suggest looking at more objective sources.

I don't need to be an expert to see the misinformation in that post. Celiac is a disease that prevents processing gluten, which is a protien found in wheat and other grains. Wheat doesn't cause it any more than almonds cause allergies to tree nuts.

Seriously, you seem to have a genuine desire to learn. I would suggest you look for information on more neutral sites. University sites are usually good sources. Or those run by medical or research groups. Look for sites that provide a public service rather than trying to sell a book or movie or other things.

And maybe chill out a little. No need to attack everyone that is not "like minded".

Thank you for your input but saying that I am attacking anyone is offensive. Where did I do that?
  • mom2kidds
    Options

It's not "bothering" me at all. I just, frankly, see no reason to get up in arms about the issue. Sure, I agree that a lot of the companies that develop GMOs are sort of greedy and sometimes underhanded...but that's how companies are. To survive, they have to make a profit, so they have to watch their bottom line and protect their investments. But like I said, I understand genetics and I know that there is little, if anything, to fear from GMOs. So, like I said, sure, lobby away for labeling if that's what floats your boat and makes you feel better, but I think there are bigger -- or at least other -- fish to fry, personally.

I clearly stated I was looking for like minded people. If that is not you or them then why feel you need to post here at all?

I've made a few new friends today, that was my goal. If left alone we may be able to meet a few more. Thanks!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    Thank you for your input but saying that I am attacking anyone is offensive. Where did I do that?

Well, these were certainly less than convivial.....
    You sound a bit like a hater... bye, bye. Best Wishes to you.

• Morn66
    Options
    I clearly stated I was looking for like minded people. If that is not you or them then why feel you need to post here at all?

I've made a few new friends today, that was my goal. If left alone we may be able to meet a few more. Thanks!

Possibly because some people have a problem with scare-mongering misinformation and, when any opportunity arises to counteract it, they feel a need to do so. I feel that need. Sometimes. When I can be bothered and am in an argumentative mood. The whole GMO thing is one thing that will usually prod me into opening my mouth.

Frankly, you're being a bit idealistic if you think that posting about a controversial topic is only going to produce responses from "like-minded" people, even if you clearly say that's what you're looking for. Of course, people who think that all the fussing about GMOs is nonsensical are going to speak up. But, if you don't wish to debate the issue...then don't. You don't have to. You need not respond to people's requests for peer-reviewed studies and such. You accomplished your task in finding some "like-minded" people, right? But I don't see why you should be concerned, much less offended, if other people want to use your thread to discuss the topic in general because, obviously, some folks are up for that, at the moment. No skin off your back, right?
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Lots of differing opinions on this sort of thing right now. But what I find unsettling is some of the companies are reluctant to label their products to indicate they contain GMOs. If GMOs are truly as safe as they claim they are, then why are they trying so hard to avoid telling us what we are buying and putting into our bodies?
  • Morn66
    Options
    Lots of differing opinions on this sort of thing right now. But what I find unsettling is some of the companies are reluctant to label their products to indicate they contain GMOs. If GMOs are truly as safe as they claim they are, then why are they trying so hard to avoid telling us what we are buying and putting into our bodies?

The "no tinfoil hat required" explanation: Because in the public's consciousness, anything that by law has to be labeled is "bad" or "something to be wary of" or what-have-you. For instance, cigarettes must be "labeled" by law because repeated science has determined that they're bad for you. So, to the average consumer's mind: if it governmentally requires a label, then whatever it is must be bad for you in some way. No company wants government-mandated labeling because, following the "label=bad" connotation, labeling GMOs would likely mean decreased profit. Since they spent money developing whatever it is, obviously they'd like to make money off it. Especially because there's been no repeated reputable science that has anything bad to say about GMOs in terms of whether or not they are bad for your health.
  • SuzyLy
    SuzyLy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think GMO labelling should be required. There are too many unanswered questions regarding health issues, especially with our children today, which I think has something to do with GMO, not to mention preservatives, etc. It would be very easy to say get back to the foods of our ancestors, but illogical for our entire population. I have never seen so many young girls developing breasts so early in their lives, as I have recently. Something's going on with our food system, and although I don't know what it is, at least let me decide what GMO's I will or will not eat.
  • Morn66
    Options
    I have never seen so many young girls developing breasts so early in their lives, as I have recently. ...Something's going on with our food system, and although I don't know what it is, at least let me decide what GMO's I will or will not eat.

Alas, the decreasing age of menarche/puberty onset in females has nothing to do with GMOs. It's been going on long before GMOs existed and is thought to be linked to increasing levels of nutrition available to human beings once they stumbled upon the idea of agriculture. Better fed girls = girls who are better equipped to make babies = nature says, "Let's get 'em making with the babies sooner." So, if you must blame something for this phenomenon, blame the increased availability of food and the increased quality of food in general. If you want to go back to bad/less food so we don't have 8-year-olds with boobies...Well, I'm not with you on that one, I'm afraid.

Edited to add: Also, the increase in childhood obesity/lack of exercise in children has much to do with decreased age of puberty onset. The fatter a girl is and the less active she is, the more estrogen her body produces, and the earlier she'll develop. So if you want to blame GMOs for childhood obesity, there you go, but that's a specious argument at best.

In short, if you want to be concerned about GMOs, that is your choice. But there is no current evidence that justifies turning them into a boogieman that needs a label.
  • zosia141
    zosia141 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I too want gmo foods labeled. This is a link to the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association fact sheet on GMO's.
    Or you can go to OEFFA.org and clip on farm policy on the left.

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50235/images/final bw gmo factsheet.pdf
  • Morn66
    Options
    I too want gmo foods labeled. This is a link to the Ohio Ecological Food and Farm Association fact sheet on GMO's.
    Or you can go to OEFFA.org and clip on farm policy on the left.

https://salsa3.salsalabs.com/o/50235/images/final bw gmo factsheet.pdf

Fine and dandy. But none of the ten things on the list have anything to do with public health, which is the ONLY way that government's going to get involved with regulating/labeling GMOs. Just as they let cigarettes be sold label-less (and they could be advertised on TV and such) until there was irrefutable evidence of a link between cigarette smoking and cancer. Just as there wasn't consistent nutrition labeling until the increasing rate of obesity became a public health concern.

I mean, it's fine to want labels so that you can avoid products from those companies that engage in the development of GMOs...but then, you can just as easily look for those brands that proudly say non-GMO and support them instead, right? Go to any health food store. Such labels are all over the place and I also see them quite a bit in regular food stores, too. Support those companies in favor of those who do not label. Problem solved. Like I said, I'm pretty sure the only way the government's going to get involved (in the US, at least) and insist on any sort of labeling is if there's a public health concern. So far, none have surfaced linking GMOs to any sort of health problem.