School Uniforms Yes or No

Options

Replies

• fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options

uk school...no 'un-natural' hair colour...no tramlines shaved in,no makeup, no jewellery,no logo on bags, shoes etc...even dictated what type of trousers and skirts the girls can wear

reminds me of Pink Floyd 'the wall' now I get why the kids had no faces

:drinker: :smokin:
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    We have uniforms. I love it. It's easy. You wear blue and white. Nothing to argue about. Brands don't matter. The kids don't care about clothes or who wears what. The only thing they're into is shoes. Lol. I love informs. They make life so easy. And the kids care less about it. It's a total non-issue.

^^^this, this and more this!!!! My daughter actually wishes she could wear a uniform everyday. she makes me buy them for her every year and wears them quite often.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Yes, children should wear uniforms.

Individuality is not solely expressed by clothing. Individuality should be mostly reflected in children's school work, critical thinking skills, rhetoric, and abstract thinking.

BRAVO!!!!!!
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    uniforms-no no no!

if the kids have to wear uniforms, the teachers and principals should have to wear the same uniforms. why do they get to chose what clothes they can wear but the kids cant?

Because they are adults?

Exactly. I'm English and a secondary school teacher. Your question sounds like something a 12 year old would ask me. 'Miss, how come you can wear a necklace/dangly ear rings etc and I can't?'. Well, I'm an adult and I used to wear school uniform when I was your age.

With the jewellery it's a health and safety thing. Besides, us teaching staff have rules too, it's not like I can rock up to work in jeans and trainers and a hoody.

I guess uniform makes it easier because you don't have the competition. Everyone is wearing the same. They have enough to compete over without worrying about who has more expensive jeans.

Some schools are stricter than others. The best school in the county (sadly not where I work) has ties as part of the uniform and girls aren't allowed to wear any make-up at all. My school is a bit more relaxed about that.

Wearing uniform at school didn't harm me at all.

My son starts school in Sept and I'm looking forward to buying him his school uniform!
  • HideyoshiKinoshita
    HideyoshiKinoshita Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I had to wear a uniform ever year of school. It doesn't really affect anything. Kids always find ways to express themselves and hell nobody sticks out as being in a lower social class.
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    We have uniforms. I love it. It's easy. You wear blue and white. Nothing to argue about. Brands don't matter. The kids don't care about clothes or who wears what. The only thing they're into is shoes. Lol. I love informs. They make life so easy. And the kids care less about it. It's a total non-issue. Of course, it sounds like it's optional there, which is weird. It is not an option here. Which makes it nice. All kids have to wear a uniform. I'm into it, which is weird because I usually hate stuff like that. But, it's cheap and easy. At Old Navy, a pair of shorts for my son is $8.

this! I have 3 in school saves me lots of fights about what to wear. They know what they will be wearing. I wish i had a uniform to wear to work! lol
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    When I was a student I didn't like them.. I wanted to be an individual etc ( lol) People always customise them slightly anyway- skirt length, tights loose ties rolled sleeves etc......
    .As a parent I think they are great.
    It takes the hassle out of what to wear, they don't come and go in fashion.
    Our school has a choice of 3 styles so kids get a say.
    Although expensive they are good quality and last for years. I always buy slightly bigger to go the distance- everyone does.
    Thumbs up from me in Australia!!
  • petersonabt
    petersonabt Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies, but this is the first year my son has gone to a uniform school. Idk it doesn't bother me made school shopping a tad easier. Also its pretty much just his shirts that are "uniform" the bottoms are more relaxed. I don't find it something to work myself up over,
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't have a strong opinion on them either way. If they're cute, they're fine. I'm more of a fan of freedom of expression. My daughter, on the other hand, always wanted to go to a school with uniforms.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I have mixed feelings as well. My daughter attends a school of advanced studies which unfortunately is in a district that recently started uniforms. This is one of the top 100 high schools in the country so the theory about bad schools having uniforms is out the window in this case. Anyway, I kind of like the not having to think about clothing aspect of uniforms. My daughter's school though does not have bullying about clothes, at least not much. This is a school full of smart artsy kids. Hell, they seem more mature than me at times....lol. They can be kicked out of the school for virtually anything, therefore, the kids seem to behave pretty well. In this case, I don't think the uniforms are necessary at all.
  • Meg_78
    Meg_78 Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    As a parent I love them, they men a lot less fuss and money spent on clothing, and it puts kids on a more even par with each other, I wore them in school! Unfortunately they are just not at all used in Sweden....

As a wife..well, that's just a whole other discussion...love them there too!
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    My main thing is cost. If the schools are paying for them or offering significant discounts, maybe. However, it's been my (2nd-hand) experience that school uniforms are usually not everyday wear.
    I grew up below the poverty line and went to public schools in the inner city with no uniforms. However, gym class is middle/high school required "official" Richmond Public School clothing that was only available at a few specific places (no big box stores). These shorts/shirt combos were hot, itchy, and downright FUGLY! You certain wouldn't wear that crap as everyday wear and it cost more than regular clothes. In my head, I can hear my Mom *****ing about the cost and me *****ing about how hot/itchy it was.
  • Excuse_less
    Excuse_less Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    As a parent I love them, they men a lot less fuss and money spent on clothing, and it puts kids on a more even par with each other, I wore them in school! Unfortunately they are just not at all used in Sweden....

As a wife..well, that's just a whole other discussion...love them there too!

I like this !!!!!
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I've always wished my school would have enforced a uniform policy. Would cut down on bullying and lends the school a more professional atmosphere.
  • SophK90
    SophK90 Posts: 56
    Options
    Definitely yes! HELPS (not fully disguises it) to hide the divide in wealth among the kids. As adults the majority of us care less about these things. With kids, it really matters.
    Sense of unity, helps to identify the brats causing trouble after school in areas etc. looks tidier, lessens the chances of short skirts etc. Can prevent othe rbullying, e.g. stereotyopes, goth, emo, CHAV, 'looks gay' etc.

It's the school holidays that REALLY bother me.
  • missveeoh
    missveeoh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wore school uniforms throughout my elementary years and I received awards for that lol
    I think they should stay, it does save a lot of money for the parents and I remember when my mom
    went to this special shop where we would get my uniforms for free or discounted (it is great for those struggling financially)

I didnt mind wearing them and by the time I got into 8th grade, turning into a teen, is when I finally started expressing myself artistically through fashion lol My mind was on my education and I did not care what I was wearing, which was a good thing cause high school was hell! Now I'm in college and it's pretty chill, nobody cares what you're wearing and everyone seems laid back.

pros- saves money, can get handmedowns from older siblings, can use the same uniform if kid doesnt grow (every 3 years I would get a bigger size cause I hardly grew)

cons- restricts children of expressing themselves, some uniforms may cost the same or more than textbook rentals, kid may reject them?
  • organic0gf
    organic0gf Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes

That way it's harder to single out the poor and the kids can be accepted for their own merit instead of how nice their clothes are (how much money the family has).
  • notworthstalking
    notworthstalking Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My 7 year old likes her school uniform. At her school it's not a cheap uniform, but it's all good quality and Aussie made. Her bottoms have lasted well into her second year, and she has just grown out of her shirts. Her school just asks that the wear navy jumpers and track suit pants or anything with in those colours in winter. Her principle is a bit strict , but she 'let' the student council have a free dress day with some whining. Honestly , I don't think she minded , but was playing the role lol.

The teachers have a strict , but sensible dress code. They always look nice, but express their personalities. I think living in Australia a sensible uniform is important. The school is multi-cultural and this uniform suits any religious requirements as well.