quick, cheap protein

Options
I need to increase my protein intake and possibly decrease my carb/sugar intake. I am also a college student with a busy schedule and always on the go. What are some quick ways to incorporate more protein into my diet that also taste good? My mom suggested tuna, but I don't like tuna. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• adam85491
    adam85491 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, greek yogurt, albacore tuna (better than the chunk light stuff) or pouched/canned salmon/chicken, and string cheese are all pretty decent choices. Protein powder + milk is also an option. I wait for some to go on sale...got 8.8 lbs for 45 dollars shipped. That's 120 scoops of protein, each scoop is 21g of protein. Add skim milk, 30g of protein and cost effective/filling.
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Edamame, jerky or eggs are my usual suspects.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    Salmon is excellent. If cost is an issue, I would look at a powder myself. You can easily get 25ish grams out of 100-120 calories.
  • yobby1969
    yobby1969 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just asked a similar question..how to get enough protein. Here is what the community suggested:
    Cottage cheese (add green onion, tomatoes, Italian seasoning or go sweet with a little fruit and truvia, xylitol, or sweetener of your choice)
    Overnight oats..easy easy and loaded with protein! http://www.buzzfeed.com/arielknutson/overnight-oat-recipes-oatmeal-cold
    Roasted turkey/grilled chicken.grilled fish - throw it in everything..over salad, in a wrap, in a sandwich, add it to a can of soup...or snack on it by itself
    Tuna/chicken Salad - extend it with extra veggies, or fruit and nuts
    Protein powder...add it to anything with a creamy texture...dips, pudding, smoothies, the overnight oats, yogurt, cereal
    Add beans to salads, blend with salad dressings for a great dip or sandwich spread.
    Yogurt, string cheese, pb2 powder (peanut butter powder with fewer fat and calories than regular)

I was only getting about 75g a day...now I'm at my goal of 136g with these suggestions. Hope that helps!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,698 Member
    Options
    Quick and cheap: No fat yoghurt, hard boiled eggs, crab sticks
    Just cheap: lentils
    Just quick: Steak, microwaved turkey salami.