running blisters

Options
I know this sounds very trivial but I have a question for all of the runners out there. I've always been more of a "jogger" on the treadmill really sticking to a comfortable 5.0 MPH for about 30-40 minutes. Recently, I've been trying to increase my speed and distance and just in the last two times I have ran I have gotten a blister on each foot in the same spot (inner part of my foot towards the top). I haven't changed anything other than pushing myself harder and doing intervals of a faster pace. Shoes, socks, and treadmill are all the same. More than anything, blisters are just annoying and I'd like to prevent them if at all possible. Any thoughts on why this could be happening?

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    A couple ideas:
    1) Your shoes are getting worn out.
    2) Switch from cotton socks to a wicking synthetic or athletic wool
    3) Put bodyglide on that spot before you run. (But, that's a band-aid solution, still need to address the problem)

ETA: And, I don't think blisters are trivial at all. They're miserable!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Blisters are a sure sign that your shoes don't fit properly and the fit issue has only manifested itself with the longer runs (not an uncommon thing).

You may be able to get some relief by using a two layered running sock, if not the only permanent solution is to switch shoes (running shoes have to fit perfectly or - as you have discovered - they can make your life a misery. When you're shopping for new running shoes if anyone suggests they need to be "broken in" you know you're in the wrong place......)
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options

3) Put bodyglide on that spot before you run. (But, that's a band-aid solution, still need to address the problem)

I think putting bodyglide all over may actually cause you not to run.....just saying...

I blame the shoes.
  • cmalmasy
    cmalmasy Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will definitely give these things a try!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Blisters are a sure sign that your shoes don't fit properly and the fit issue has only manifested itself with the longer runs (not an uncommon thing).

Or that your feet an not tough enough for the effort.
  • DrNerdy
    DrNerdy Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Looks like its time for new shoes. You can put some moleskin on your blisters for the time being until they are healed.