dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Transdifferentiate?
    Convert fat to muscle?

Do people really believe this bs?
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to read through everything. If I write something someone else has, so be it.

You already burn X amount of calories just by being alive and carrying out your day. That's your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). It's the result of your BMR + Regular Daily Activity.

If you set My Fitness Pal to calculate your daily calories, and your "Activity Level" as sedentary, you will get your baseline TDEE.

Then select what you want to loose, 1-2 lbs, and it will calculate your net calorie goal. You don't need to exercise at all to loose weight if you're meeting that goal. This is why people say diet is more important than exercise if you want to loose weight. If you want to eat more, you need to log more activity... exercise.

Otherwise, exercise is just good overall for your health and well being. It'll make you stronger, it can help you loose weight faster if you choose not to log it/eat it back.

Be careful though, don't diet too hard if you're going to be working out hard too. That could be unhealthy if sustained for too long.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    You'll probably look like crap at the end of your weight loss journey if you dont exercise at all. Skinny-fat is what its usually referred to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    prolly shoulda googled it to get my facts straight before posting, but the analogy is sound - if the body broke down fat to power the body none of us would be fat ever, the problem is that its easy for the body to get energy from food, but difficult to break down the fat in the body. that's the point i was making!
    But that point still isn't true. Fat is very easy to convert, it's just a relatively slow process compared to glycogen. The body is generally running at about 50% fat 50% glucose for fuel in normal living. During intense activities (like heavy weight lifting) the needle swings toward glucose/glycogen and away from fat. During other activities, like resting, or low intensity cardio, the needle swings more toward the fat side. The body is burning both fat and glucose every minute of every day.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I like to make up words too!

In class the other day I accidentally mixed 'diabetes' with 'obesity' and made 'DIABESITY'.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    OMG PLEASE TELL ME WHAT MORON WROTE THIS BOOK PLEASE PLEASE
  • dbmata
    Options
    I made up a word once, then I got better. ;)

Diabesity sounds about right though, one comes then the other!
  • dbmata
    Options
    You'll love this.

http://drcate.com/about-drcatecom/

Reads rather typically, like a snake oil expert.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I exercise for the heart health benefits! I like that I can go for long walks or any physical activity for that matter, and I am not super winded or struggling! So it depends on what you are going for.... :) Good Luck with everything!!!!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Exercise if part of a healthy lifestyle. It's not just a tool to lose weight. When our bodies are in good condition they work better including digesting and metabolizing food better. You can't fuel your workouts without adequate calories and proper nutrition.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    You'll love this.

This is HORRIBLE...ugh. MD's are not physiologists!

ETA: I looked her up on Cornell's website, Rutgers website, and PubMed. Someone with her name has a couple publications on cell nuclei and aortic calcification and that's it...hmmm...
  • shadowkat57
    shadowkat57 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I exercise
    a) cos it's good for me and whatnot, and
    b) so I can EAT MOAR! EAT ALL THE FOODS!!!
    I like eating (it's why I'm more, um, voluptuous than I'd prefer...), but exercising means I earn some of that food.
  • beastbulker
    Options
    Like others have said, if you're just trying to lose weight then you don't really need to exercise and should just focus on your nutrition.

The point of exercise is to build up a strong, fit, healthy body.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Humans were made to hunt not sit on our butts all day.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Because bacon. Exercise burns calories so you can eat bacon and drink beer. I also do it because bikes are awesome and don't make people wanna drill up the middle of nowhere and make our water gross.
  • dbmata
    Options
    You'll love this.

This is HORRIBLE...ugh. MD's are not physiologists!

ETA: I looked her up on Cornell's website, Rutgers website, and PubMed. Someone with her name has a couple publications on cell nuclei and aortic calcification and that's it...hmmm...

I'm thinking that if it quacks like a duck, it's a duck.

Quack.
  • thenance007
    thenance007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you google "transdifferentiation" you will find that there is a lot of scientific research going on in this area. Here is one reference:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006291X08020032 "Mature adipocyte-derived dedifferentiated fat cells can transdifferentiate into skeletal myocytes in vitro"

"We have previously reported the establishment of preadipocyte cell lines, termed dedifferentiated fat (DFAT) cells, from mature adipocytes of various animals. DFAT cells possess long-term viability and can redifferentiate into adipocytes both in vivo and in vitro. Furthermore, DFAT cells can transdifferentiate into osteoblasts and chondrocytes under appropriate culture conditions. However, it is unclear whether DFAT cells are capable of transdifferentiating into skeletal myocytes, which is common in the mesodermal lineage. Here, we show that DFAT cells can be induced to transdifferentiate into skeletal myocytes in vitro. Myogenic induction of DFAT cells resulted in the expression of MyoD and myogenin, followed by cell fusion and formation of multinucleated cells expressing sarcomeric myosin heavy chain. These results indicate that DFAT cells derived from mature adipocytes can transdifferentiate into skeletal myocytes in vitro."

So while she may or may not be right, I think a more open-minded attitude might be in order.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Nah, it's all bull****e

QFT
    Quoted for Transdifferentiation