What was your "final straw"?

Options
13»

Replies

• Llamatron123
    Options
    Being given a leaflet that advertises a new clothes store for the larger lady. Oh, and being told my ex was a chubby chaser. Very hurtful.
  • BreonnaQueen
    BreonnaQueen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When nothing fit anymore.

and I mean NOTHING fit. It was depressing and when I realized my fat pants now were too small, I knew I needed a change
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    The fact that my mom is fitter and skinnier than I am and she's over twice my age and had 2 kids. Also, my family has a history of diabetes and colon cancer and I don't want that.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I was in pain every morning when I woke up. I thought it was age catching up to me. As I started to lose weight, I found that the aches and pains went away. I have slipped some, and I have noticed the aches coming back...no way I want to feel like that ever again, so I am back on the wagon.
  • bascan333
    Options
    I've just been overweight all of my adult life and I'm always "trying to lose weight". Well, now my niece is engaged and I want to look good for her wedding. I want her to be proud of me.

I had lost 40 pounds about 12 years ago and gained it all back. I remember how good I felt back then. I watched what I ate, but didn't count calories just portion control, but I exercised EVERY DAY. Since that worked, I'm going to try it again, but this time, I want to stick with it and keep the weight off even after the wedding.
  • funhouse77
    funhouse77 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was 34 and pre-diabetic. I had horrific stomach problems which left me in excruciating pain for weeks, combined with photos of a family holiday when I was at my heaviest ever weight, and I was unrecognizable to myself. I guess these three things combined lead me to have a mini-breakdown, I hated my life, I hated myself, I didn't want to be yet another obesity statistic. Also around this time, my mother (who has been obese her entire adult life) started to have a lot of obesity-related health problems - high blood-pressure, gallstones, knee-joint pain, and I could see myself following the same path.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I didn't get the usual warning signs. Guys my height don't go to the plus size section when they get big, they go to the men's section. Doctors also don't take weight as an issue for guys as seriously, though they are just as quick to act on the related issues when they do finally happen. But if there's no diabetes, no high cholesterol, no high blood pressure or weird heart issues, nobody says a word. I'm slated to have surgery in January. The surgeon was an utter genius about how he brought it up - no lecturing, no tiptoing, just a brief mentioning for the sake of determining which facility's equipment was to be used... and it hit like a ton of bricks.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    I'd been "trying" to lose weight to no avail. Then I saw this picture. And it kicked my butt in to gear. I'd never thought I was on the "heavy" side. I was in denial about my jeans not fitting...and refused to wash them because my size 10's had stretched to really be a size 12...and I was still plagued with a nasty muffin-top. Wish I had pictures to look back on, now. Womp.

but now I'm only five pounds away from goal! :)

Keep it up, everyone!!!
  • tnsumner
    tnsumner Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My absolute final straw was when I started getting that line under my belly. My stomach was starting to hang over a little. That day I downloaded this app and was done with that lifestyle.
  • gypsyGIRL159
    gypsyGIRL159 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello. Thank You for asking that question, and making me THINK. I've had soooooo many final straws!!! My totally final straw was having people that say they love me treat me like I'm already dead. THAT COMPLETELY MADE ME WAKE UP!!! I am 55! Super talented, and GIFTED! I have great Genes, and I know I can do better!!! There is a Warrior within me..... who desires to be FREE! ONLY I CAN FREE ME. However, my Weight has kept me from really going after my Dreams. People tend to laugh at me when I say what my desires are. They think I'm nuts to have any Dreams at all... as Fat as I am. My Health has suffered so much because I enjoy Food too much. I medicate myself with snacks, and treats, and junk until I feel like I could burst. I constantly burp, and was on the verge of having to have my Gall Bladder removed a few shot months ago. I also have a Thyroid issue, but mostly I Historically LOVE TO MUNCH, AND CRUNCH, AND Graze all day until I finally end up going to bed on a full stomach without doing anything to combat the Issue. I have recently turned over a new leaf, and I'm making excellent "Lifestyle Changes" for myself that involve THINKING, PRAYING, MEDITATING, SHOPPING WITH A GOAL IN MIND, PORTION CONTROL, EXERCISE, AND SHUTTING OUT ALL THE DRAMA, STRESS, AND STUPID STUFF THAT SIDE TRACKED ME FOR MANY YEARS FROM FOCUSING ON TAKING GREAT CARE OF MYSELF.

I am DISABLED.... and currently... My JOB is to take EXCELLENT CARE OF ME. Even if it means letting people down, not answering my door, not going to parties, not answering my phone, and I am not making anymore excuses for being Obese. I am NOT big boned.... I AM OBESE. I HAVE EXCITING DREAMS and Ambitions, & outstanding GOALS, AND I CAN DO SO MUCH more than sit on the couch and eat myself to death. I am so tired of wishing, and getting half way to something awesome! I want to know what it feels like to spend a year or two.... or as long as it takes to completely overhaul myself, and TAKE CONTROL OF WHAT HAS HISTORICALLY CONTROLLED ME.

In a year or two I will be off most my Meds, and I will be able to travel, and see the World. No one will even be able to recognize me. Many people will still poke fun, and LOL at me. However, I do not care. Why!? Because I will be living for me, and ONLY me. Oh yeah!!!

I've even had a few dreams where I see myself nice & thin for the first time in toooooooo long!!!!!!! God is on my side, and with He & me working together - I'm well on my way to being THE WHOLE PERSON I SEE IN MY DREAMS. :-)

GOD BLESS YOU ALL HERE ON THIS SITE!!!! I am rooting for every one of U!!! :-)

DREAMS DO COME TRUE..... AND IT STARTS WITH LOVING OURSELVES ENOUGH TO INVEST WHATEVER IT TAKES IN OURSELVES EVERY DAY FOR THE REST OF OUR LIVES. SELAH.
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Well, a little boy at my church came up to me from behind and said, "Mama" I looked...and was like OMG! :grumble: I wear a 16 in clothing and his mother wears a 20-22. Eventhough our hairstyle was similiar from the back, the FACT that he THOUGHT I was her, I was quite offended :noway: and start working at it since then :laugh:
  • Kristopia
    Kristopia Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There were numerous "wake-ups"

I got into a ride at a carnival with my daughter and the belt wouldn't fit down over my legs. So in front of hundreds, I had to get out - and my daughter followed me out (she was 12 or 13) saying, "It's okay mom." I sent her off with her friends and cried alone in a corner for awhile.

I got on a roller coaster in an amusement park (I LOVE roller coasters) and didn't fit - had to get out the other side.

I got on a plan and had to get a seatbelt extension.

I despised the old lady mu muu clothing that I had to sift through in order to find decent clothing in my size.

I used to be athletic, playing softball, running, etc. I could barely move or walk more than 1/4 mile without being out of breath.

I was pre-diabetic, had/have metabolic issues, and have a nightmare of joint pain after carrying around all that weight for so many years.

So, here I am, 100 lbs lost, and about 80 to go.
  • VioletNightshade
    Options
    I watched a ton of documentaries on food, nutrients and the food industry. During watching those, I decided to go vegetarian for good, and after a couple of months, I lost almost 20 pounds just from doing that. Shortly afterwards, I started a new, more active job, and then a few months after that, I found MFP. It was kind of gradual.

Currently 42 pounds down and still going!
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There were a few but one I would share is me rolling around on the bathroom floor trying to put my socks on... I realized I couldn't do it so went in there so my partner could not see me struggle with it...

I wish I could draw a cartoon of it. I would frame it;)