Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options
I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    BTW haters? who?
  • HanaQuintana
    HanaQuintana Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ha-ha, I hear that speech all the time. Boring!!
  • camila_scl
    camila_scl Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.
  • flori204
    Options
    I eat 1100-1200 (when I'm dieting) and people are always "yada yada yada STARVATION MODE!" I'm so sick of it.

Before giving your opinion learn a little about the person you are giving your opinion to. Not all of us are 6'2 and have a TDEE of 2400.

My TDEE is 1600/1700. I have a 400 calorie deficit, probably most of you have a much bigger deficit than I do.

Stop demonizing 1200 calories and learn that it ALL depends on how tall, fat, active you are. Seriously some threads sound like broken records. Read a little before saying the "you are eating too little blablabla"

I remember a woman saying she ate 800-900 and like 3 pages of people saying she was pretty much an idiot for doing that. She stated in her topic that she had surgery to lose weight and thats her maximum calories because her stomach is super small and nobody even read that, they were too preocupied to say she was not eating enough.

That's it. Please, READ the topics and learn a little about the person before saying the you are eating few calories speech because it does not always apply

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    Options
    I really dngas what or how much you eat. 1200 calories is enough for a child.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

I think you communicate very well - better than most of the native English speakers around here! :flowerforyou:
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Most people that "get this speech" are those complaining 1200 isn't working for them. So you'd rather they cut their calories lower and lower until they just don't eat at all versus someone providing an alternative of upping their calories because a majority of people (most who did the 1200 to start) understand where someone is going wrong?
  • camila_scl
    Options
    Most people that "get this speech" are those complaining 1200 isn't working for them. So you'd rather they cut their calories lower and lower until they just don't eat at all versus someone providing an alternative of upping their calories because a majority of people (most who did the 1200 to start) understand where someone is going wrong?

Not at all. I would like people to read the topics before giving the speech because it does not always apply ;)
  • camila_scl
    Options

I think you communicate very well - better than most of the native English speakers around here! :flowerforyou:
    Thank you <3
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Not at all. I would like people to read the topics before giving the speech because it does not always apply ;)

To add/point out...

Most (and I'm not exaggerating when I say most) people who make posts about eating 1200 or less with medical conditions/exceptions tend to NOT state them in the original post but posts/pages later...and most people tend to respond to just the OP, not reading the other posts/pages before they answer if at all.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0' & eat 1000-1400 (goal 1200) calories a day & I'm full at the end of the day. I change my calorie intake daily & workout 3 days a week. I don't think 1200 is slowing my metabolism or putting me into starvation mode. My doctor & dietician agrees as well.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    True. Although I know a lot of posts come more from the fact that there are a lot of people (men and women) who will jump straight down to 1200 calories even if based on stats (BF%, Height, weight, gender) and exercise say that they could/should eat more. I've seen posts from people eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day (no more than 1200) and exercising insane amounts. I think it is fair to warn those people of the damage they might cause their bodies, but I also try to be nice about it.

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher BMR).

edit: I also think the whole "starvation mode" is a very misused term on MFP. There are points where if you aren't eating enough, you can actually cause numerous health problems, but it's like less than 1000 calories everyday for at least 4 weeks. I also don't believe in the magical fat storing when eating less than 1200 calories. Although depending on what your BMR/TDEE is your metabolism could slow from to large of a deficit overtime (months) to match your intake, but this is just your body adapting to what it is being given.
  • Taliasmommy78
    Options
    First of all I am new, hello to all...I am supposed to be eating at 1200 calories a day. I have seen these posts going on and on about it about eating too little and who eats more than that, who is starving themselves etc..., WHO CARES? Let people do what they want, eat a little eat over, whatever, it is boring and there should probably be a more productive discussion going on. I started this and I realized after today and actually seeing the calories, fat content, sodium etc and I could not believe what I was doing.It really opened my eyes actually looking at it, and on top of not exercising, NO WONDER I am 217 pounds at the moment and 4'8''. I realistically according to many websites and things should really be around 100 pounds. I could really use some advice on how I can help my body learn to only take in 1200 calories and be fine with it because I feel I would be hungry all the time. I really want to lose some weight and would really like to get some motiviation. I need some new buddies to help with that...anyone willing ??:)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I missed the part where "hate" was involved or had anything to do with anything.
  • camila_scl
    Options
    True. Although I know a lot of posts come more from the fact that there are a lot of people (men and women) who will jump straight down to 1200 calories even if based on stats (BF%, Height, weight, gender) and exercise say that they could/should eat more. I've seen posts from people eating 1000 - 1200 calories a day (no more than 1200) and exercising insane amounts. I think it is fair to warn those people of the damage they might cause their bodies, but I also try to be nice about it.

If I didn't do any exercise all day, just sat on my butt, then I would want to eat at around 1200 calories. I know this because on my extremely lazy days, my fitbit only gives me a calorie burn of about 1780 or so for the whole day.

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher TDEE).

Absolutely.

My "rant" is for people who do not read all the facts and give the speech. like I said, it always depends !
  • grandmamere
    grandmamere Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0' & eat 1000-1400 (goal 1200) calories a day & I'm full at the end of the day. I change my calorie intake daily & workout 3 days a week. I don't think 1200 is slowing my metabolism or putting me into starvation mode. My doctor & dietician agrees as well.
    Good for you, seriously . I'm with you and to those who read most if not all posted responses. Some people like the wahmbulance:sad:
  • PikaKnight
    Options

The fact that I am active (even being 5'4.5") and that exercise increases TDEE numbers, means that some days I can eat 2000 + calories and still be in a deficit. So, I know you were probably just ranting/exaggerating, but you really don't have to be 6'2" to eat over 2000 calories a day. Statements like that are what lead short women to believe that they have to eat 1200 to lose weight, when in reality there are a lot of factors that determine the amount of calories a person needs per day. Amount of muscle mass plays a role in this as well (more muscle = higher TDEE).

Absolutely.

My "rant" is for people who do not read all the facts and give the speech. like I said, it always depends !

So this really isn't about 1200 but about reading comprehension.

Do you have a link to this offensive post?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I eat 2000 calories a day, am 5'1 and still losing weight. Why would I hate someone eating 1200 calories, lol? Feel sympathy for, maybe.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people kinda miss the 'medical reasons aside' part sometimes. I'm in a similar boat when I'm not exercising but probably won't be hearing it anytime soon since most people don't realize the 1200 figure is specific to women.