Haters gonna hate. tired of the "1200 is not enough" speech

Options

Replies

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.

I am in the same boat as you; I am old(er ), well in my mid-60's, am barely five feet tall and my TDEE is just over 1600 and in order to lose I also eat around 1200 calories and do very well on them, eating a lot of natural foods each day. I am also so tired of the standard speech about starvation mode from people who don't have a clue what they are talking about. My advise ? Just ignore them and continue with what you are doing. At least that is what I do.
    Saludos desde Mexico......
  • Miss_dannii
    Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 cal a day and have lost 86 pounds. Starvation mode is a myth. I did eat about 1500 for the first 40lbs lost and I reduced it then on MFPs recommendation and continued to lose. I've reached my target and have had no problem keeping the weight off. I find 1200 plenty for me
    No it's not. 1200 calories is not starvation mode.

What?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    For me, I have trouble finding enough food to get to 1200 every day, and that includes eating 4 - 5 times a day. it sucks.

Every body is different... but I am certain that as a guy... you are supposed to be eating more than that. Men have much higher energy demands than women!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    1200 is not enough. FOR ME

There. Fixed it for you. :flowerforyou:
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Was there a point to be had here?
  • pearson114
    pearson114 Posts: 66 Member
    Options

PS: First language is not english, I'm from Chile and speak spanish so any grammer mistakes I apologize.

I think you communicate very well - better than most of the native English speakers around here! :flowerforyou:

I echo these thoughts! I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many of these comments are grounds for reporting. Go ahead and have a difference of opinion over whether 1200 is enough (not that you should care what someone else eats though) but saying things like "Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science" and "Chill out lady and have some pizza. Sounds like you could use a few slices" is attacking and insulting her and -- guess what -- that's against the TOS.

Differing views on how many calories are enough for a person are not grounds for insults. You all KNOW that every body has different calorie needs so just because 1200 would send YOUR body into starvation mode does not mean it will do that for everyone. Get off your high horses.

Totally agree. It's kind of sickening to read.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you want to slow your metabolism and be stuck HAVING to eat so little. Go ahead. When the body does not get enough calories metabolism slows period. This is from caveman times when the body had no idea when the next food was coming. Of course you may be the special snowflake exception to science. If so great. Have at it enjoy your snacks. I will eat my meals at about 1700 calories having lost over 100 lbs doing so.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. People don't read the topics. Once they see the 1200 calories they give an immeadiate speech about it without reading anything else.

I repeat, I eat at a 400 calorie deficit. That will not make my metabolism to commit suicide. Good for you, you can eat 1700 and lose weight, my TDEE is 1700.
    I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?

The biggest help I received on here a year ago came from a 50 yr old female body builder, who after years of trying to exercise away the extra lbs, finally had to accept the reality that she simply could not eat as many calories as some other people could. Her height and age was a big factor in her metabolism. She now has an amazing rock hard body, but unfortunately was banned from the forums for giving her advice to those who might need it. She has been maxed out on her FL for almost a year, despite having not been on the open forums for quite some time.

So when 'those people' do try to give advice and help people, then they are reported for encouraging unhealthy diet practices, or for spamming threads, so they tend to keep their advice to PMs and their own page or blog.

BTW, I have since helped many people on here as well. I just don't broadcast it over the forums.
    So what you're saying is that when someone stalls after eating 1200 calories a day, the advice you give them consists of unsafe/unhealthy diet practices?
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You throw it out there but you tender what "you want to hear". The issue is, regardless of what sage advice you get you will do what you want whether it is right or wrong. Well, that is your choice. No where in your presentation did you saw I talked to my doctor and this is the recommendation he gave me.

Really the whole subject started in the wrong direction when the word "diet" was used. When promoting healthy lifestyle, it is not about dieting but about making changes for life that will suit a "healthy lifestyle". Diet, in the context you used it, carries a negative vibe, as in it is temparary.

But, bottom line, you going to ignore all and everything that is contrary to your view, not talk to an expert, disvalue the comments of others and live your life like you want to. In a few years, come back and let us know how that is working out for you. SMH
  • zeetje
    zeetje Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Inbetween all discussions :-)
    @Taliasmommy78
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Here's a great calculator to figure out how much to eat for your body. I'm new too and someone posted this and it helped.

Thanks for this!!! very help full! I fell quite silly now, I thought 1 kg was 0.5 pounds just found out that I am 155 lbs instead of 140 lbs, more weight to lose! LOL Now I can do calculations accurately :bigsmile:
  • peachfigs
    Options
    Eat what is right for you, no one else knows what is best for you.

I have no idea why others like to get so stressed about other people's diets, but all I can say is, they are not worth the attention. :flowerforyou:

If this were true people wouldn't get overweight in the first place. There is always a chance somebody does know what's best for you, because they have done it successfully.

Eat what is right for you, in the context OF LOSING WEIGHT. Obviously.

Nitpicking over semantics is another thing I hate about this silly forum. People overanalyse everything you say.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... here's the deal...

For most of the population, 1200 calories a day is dangerously close to malnourishment. Malnourishment triggers a hormonal response that is a mechanism to defend against starvation, which is why it is referred to as "starvation mode", but you really don't have to be anywhere near starving to reach it.

It's not hate to tell someone that their method is not effective. Sure, they can choose to do whatever they want, but just because they choose it, doesn't change the facts. Sooner or later, they will become malnourished and their body will release hormones to avoid the potential damage of starvation.
  • veg_runner
    veg_runner Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you have the body of a small child 1200 is enough. 1200 is not enough unless you want to become a practicing anorexic or end up binging later. Been there, done that, don't advise anyone follow such an extreme caloric deficit.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how other dieters think they are experts on the topic. I am only an expert on my own body, and even then I make mistakes. Also, the closer you are to your ideal weight (or the less weight you have to lose), the harder it is to lose. That's why going down to 1200 calories may be needed.
    Getting to your ideal weight does not require eating less than whatever your TDEE would be at your ideal weight.

There's 20lbs between me and my ideal weight and only a 120 calorie difference between the 2 TDEES. If I ate at or above my goal weight TDEE, it would take me at least a year and a half to lose 20lbs..
  • peachfigs
    Options
    If you have the body of a small child 1200 is enough. 1200 is not enough unless you want to become a practicing anorexic or end up binging later. Been there, done that, don't advise anyone follow such an extreme caloric deficit.

It's not an extreme deficit for some petite women. It's fine for people who want to lose some weight and aren't bothered about working out much.

It's inefficient if you want to work on muscle and don't want a 'flabby' or 'soft' body when you're at your goal weight. That's all. It's really as simple as that.

ETA: I also think if you have a bit of a gut, higher cals + strength straining will help to burn it off. 1200 won't do much for that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

I've noticed that none of the people who are complaining about criticisms of 1200 and saying "people don't read the topic" have actually responded to my post asking who they have helped or what advice they have given to anyone who is asking "help I'm not losing on 1200." Is it because those people don't actually help anyone, or that they don't read the topic themselves and never saw that post?

The biggest help I received on here a year ago came from a 50 yr old female body builder, who after years of trying to exercise away the extra lbs, finally had to accept the reality that she simply could not eat as many calories as some other people could. Her height and age was a big factor in her metabolism. She now has an amazing rock hard body, but unfortunately was banned from the forums for giving her advice to those who might need it. She has been maxed out on her FL for almost a year, despite having not been on the open forums for quite some time.

So when 'those people' do try to give advice and help people, then they are reported for encouraging unhealthy diet practices, or for spamming threads, so they tend to keep their advice to PMs and their own page or blog.

BTW, I have since helped many people on here as well. I just don't broadcast it over the forums.
    So what you're saying is that when someone stalls after eating 1200 calories a day, the advice you give them consists of unsafe/unhealthy diet practices?

No, that is not what I am saying. To my knowledge, I personally have never been reported for encouraging unhealthy habits. However, I have seen others who have BEEN REPORTED for encouraging unhealthy eating habits, simply by telling their story of weight loss success, by people who think that 1200 is starvation and should be reported.
    When I see someone who has stalled at 1200 cals, I get as much info as possible before giving advice. Most of the time, it ends up that the poster is either underestimating how many calories they actually are eating, or they are overestimating their calorie burns and are eating them all back, therefore negating their deficit. Also, 2 weeks does not a plateau make.

For the occasional 18? yr old that comes in weighing 110 at 5'6" and cant figure out why they can't lose that last 10 pounds, even tho they are eating 500 cals a day, I tell them that their goals are unreasonable and they need to treat their bodies better. And get some counseling if needed.